Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2014, 02:07 PM

2,605 posts, read 2,711,744 times

Advertisements

I live in Hamtramck and work downriver, my husband works inMidtown Detroit & we both grew up in the Hamtramck area. We were looking for a house for us &everyone suggested we buy something nice in suburb like the once mentionedabove. I understand why families aregiving us this suggestion, for better school/safer neighborhood. It will be handy in the future & I admitwhen we have school age kids we most likely will move out.

But for now, I am comfortable in Hamtramck & really don’twant to make my commute longer. However,the economy is just recovering & this is a good time to buy house. The interest is very low. I am thinking ofbuying a house which I can rent out for next 5+ years. After that if we are ready to move out ofHamtramck, we might live in that house or sell it for profit. What location doyou feel will give most bang out of our buck? And what are some importantfactor we should look into?
Troy- safe city,great school (but not all of Troy falls under Troy school district). But dopeople rent in this area? I am assuming out of town employees might rent inTroy due to its reputation or parents might go here for the schooldistrict. According to Zillow theaverage rent is 1600-2000/month but cost of house is around 250K

Sterling Height – 2version of Troy, safe/quietcity. Maybe employee of big 3 company onshort term assignment might rent here. Schoolis ok between Warren con & Utica. Accordingto Zillow average rent is 1200-2000/month & average house is around 200K

Warren – working class city with average school, houses are1960 build mostly. What type of people will rent here? Average rent is 700-1200 but the house priceare cheaper (150K)

Any other city you can think of? I would have just invested in Hamtramck butthe houses are older (1920’s) and require lot of fixing up which my husband can’tdo.

Last edited by keraT; 08-14-2014 at 02:33 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2014, 03:04 PM

915 posts, read 1,505,561 times
Yes - there are a lot of rentals in Troy.

Warren Consolidated isn't that great of a school district. Utica is better.

Warren - working class. Renters would be people who can't afford Troy or Sterling Heights.

A lot of people rent in Macomb County because it's cheaper than renting in Oakland and you get more for your money.

Old 08-14-2014, 08:48 PM

Which area among those 3 cities that will give me tenants the fastest (I.e have a good supply of tenants)

Old 08-14-2014, 10:58 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
They'll all probably give you a good supply of tenets, just each area will have usually different types of tenets. In Troy, you usually get people who are from out of town while Warren tends to have more local long-term residents. Sterling Heights is kind of in-between.

Old 08-16-2014, 05:43 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,411,457 times
If you're presently renting, I would suggest that you just look for a house to live in, and not use it as a rental. Since you work downriver, you should look into Grosse Ile. If your husband isn't handy, it doesn't sound like you should get into the landlord business.

Old 08-23-2014, 12:32 PM

339 posts, read 975,910 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
I live in Hamtramck and work downriver, my husband works inMidtown Detroit & we both grew up in the Hamtramck area. We were looking for a house for us &everyone suggested we buy something nice in suburb like the once mentionedabove. I understand why families aregiving us this suggestion, for better school/safer neighborhood. It will be handy in the future & I admitwhen we have school age kids we most likely will move out.

But for now, I am comfortable in Hamtramck & really don’twant to make my commute longer. However,the economy is just recovering & this is a good time to buy house. The interest is very low. I am thinking ofbuying a house which I can rent out for next 5+ years. After that if we are ready to move out ofHamtramck, we might live in that house or sell it for profit. What location doyou feel will give most bang out of our buck? And what are some importantfactor we should look into?
Troy- safe city,great school (but not all of Troy falls under Troy school district). But dopeople rent in this area? I am assuming out of town employees might rent inTroy due to its reputation or parents might go here for the schooldistrict. According to Zillow theaverage rent is 1600-2000/month but cost of house is around 250K

Sterling Height – 2version of Troy, safe/quietcity. Maybe employee of big 3 company onshort term assignment might rent here. Schoolis ok between Warren con & Utica. Accordingto Zillow average rent is 1200-2000/month & average house is around 200K

Warren – working class city with average school, houses are1960 build mostly. What type of people will rent here? Average rent is 700-1200 but the house priceare cheaper (150K)

Any other city you can think of? I would have just invested in Hamtramck butthe houses are older (1920’s) and require lot of fixing up which my husband can’tdo.
Before you do anything you need to think if this is a house you might want to live in the future. The type of house that might give you the best return for a rental property might be very different from the type of house (and area) were you might want to live. The rental market in the metro area is very strong, specially on the inner ring suburbs. From the three cities you mention, the best return you will problably get it from Warren. Cheaper, lower taxes. Troy is desirable but houses are expensive and the non homestead taxes are going to be very high, so you will have very high fixed cost.
Years ago my husband and I started bying houses in Warren and southern Ferndale (all cash). A friend of ours said we were making a mistake because those areas have working class people. He went ahead and bought a couple of houses in West Bloomfield (with loans because they were expensive). He wanted the "high end " renter. Let me tell you his experience was not "high end". Two of his houses got trashed and he had to deal with several evictions only on a two year period. He ended selling everything at a loss.
We still have all of our houses and the issues have been minimal. We have made mistakes (buying in Detroit) but our experience has been very positive. Our renters are working class (and long time renters). All they want is a clean affordable place to live near hospitals, schools and work. Moving is a hassle and is expensive, so if you can provide them with what they need, they will be long time renters.
I will tell you though I try to avoid voucher recipiants, unless they are elderly.
That is just my experience.
Good Luck!!

Old 09-03-2014, 02:26 PM

MIEng
You are absolutely correct that living home and rental investment are not same. After seeing knew build home (2000+), we are finding it difficult to choose an older 1970's home. But for rent these newer home that cost 100K more are not going to give too much benefit over the cheaper home.

I guess I am not looking for permanent investment. More like, get someone else to pay my mortgage for few years while I live in my existing home. Then move in when I am ready & hopefully 1/3 of my mortgage will be paid off by then, assuming tenants don't destroy the house. I do have a house in Hamtramck currently that I am happy to live in but in future that might not be such a great idea.

I have started looking in to Madison Heights area & I don't understand why the tax on nicer home in Warren & Madison Heights are so much more than Troy or Sterling Heights

Old 09-03-2014, 03:06 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,600,716 times
Troy and Sterling Heights have lower millage rates. Or rather, taxes are lower in Troy and Sterling Height than they are in Warren and Madison Heights (as well as other inner-ring suburbs). In general, taxes are higher the closer you are to Detroit, which Detroit itself has the highest property taxes in the state.

Most of the time the difference in taxes aren't too noticeable because most homes closer to Detroit are older and usually smaller than homes farther out. Like if you took a $300,000 house from out in Shelby Township or something and plopped it in Warren, taxes would probably double or triple on that same house. Most of it is because the older cities usually have more services and more infrastructure to pay for.

https://treas-secure.state.mi.us/pte...TEstimator.asp
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan