Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-13-2014, 02:38 PM

36 posts, read 97,363 times

Advertisements

Went to the community-wide garage sale in Wyandotte today and thought it was a very cute town. Would like to live there, right on the water. What streets should we consider? Van Alstyne is beautiful... Is that the best waterfront property there? We want a stately single family, turn-of-the-last-century, with great details.
Also, is Wyandotte welcoming to African Americans? Are there other AAs along the water out there? It's just my husband and me....and we'd like to see at least a few faces that look like ours. Thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2014, 02:59 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,102,265 times
The houses right on Biddle between North and Clinton would be the best water front property in YnDot

Old 09-15-2014, 08:21 AM

750 posts, read 1,431,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria27` View Post
Also, is Wyandotte welcoming to African Americans? Are there other AAs along the water out there? It's just my husband and me....and we'd like to see at least a few faces that look like ours. Thanks in advance.
I'm sure you can find some demographic info about the population diversity of Wyandotte, but it's not particularly diverse.

I live nearby and never detected any outright discrimination or racism, but be aware it's a middle to lower-middle class sort of town, and the population is mostly white factory workers. Of course there are professionals and trades, and it does have a very cute downtown full of interesting little shops, but it's not a snooty place at all. Very welcoming and friendly.

Check for listings along Biddle Avenue for the big stately houses. There are also condos right on the waterfront, but they tend to be tall and narrow, with lots of stairs.

Old 09-16-2014, 04:18 PM

Thanks, Zthatzman and Jsqueezer... Appreciate the answers... Will go out this weekend and look some more...

Old 09-19-2014, 04:28 PM

13 posts, read 14,846 times
Default Welcome to Wyandotte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria27` View Post
Went to the community-wide garage sale in Wyandotte today and thought it was a very cute town. Would like to live there, right on the water. What streets should we consider? Van Alstyne is beautiful... Is that the best waterfront property there? We want a stately single family, turn-of-the-last-century, with great details.
Van Alstyne is a beautiful street. If you can afford it look for a house in that area and I do not think you will be disappointed. Be very careful about Train Tracks and Trains that run forever.

You might also look at waterfront properties on Jefferson kinda where Emmons T bones into Jefferson. Those houses are fantastic too. I would love to live in one myself!

Also Wyandotte may seem quaint from a distance but the town is known for being kinda corrupt. Just saying and worth doing some research about it.

Wyandotte demographics are changing and will continue to do so. Unfortunately I don't think there are many real time stats that reflect how many African Americans there are in Wyandotte or how many have moved to the area since the housing crisis.
But you will not feel like lone wolfs, there are many AA families and that is going to continue to grow. I think you would love it here. Especially if you have a view of the river.

Hope this helps

I

Old 09-19-2014, 08:48 PM

Thanks, Crashcarts... The more I'm down there, the more charming it becomes... Pretty houses on Biddle, but they're surrounded by too much "other stuff"... but Van Alstyne is private and really sweet. Thanks so much for the advice...

Old 09-20-2014, 06:50 AM

4,691 posts, read 307,164 times
Living on the water can be colder and windier in the winter months. Consider looking in the area between Fort and Biddle, but close to Biddle. There are some really nice old houses in the Oak Street area.

Old 09-20-2014, 01:55 PM

Thanks, Ceege... I'll bet it's freezing right on the water -- and Lord knows it's cold enough in this state without that!
Will check Oak Street.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: