Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2014, 05:50 PM

9 posts, read 18,170 times

Advertisements

Hey everyone ! I'm going to be moving to the Lansing area next summer and I had some questions. I really do not like living in cities and enjoy the country atmosphere a lot more. I have been doing some research and I seem to like Grand Ledge and Dewitt. My questions are which of those 2 areas are more country ? Are there any other small country towns nearby ? I have never been to Michigan before so I really have no idea about the area. I'm from Tennessee. Also it looks like is snows a lot ! I'm actually looking forward to the snow since I never see any here in Tennessee that often. Thanks in advance everyone for the help.

Last edited by burkdog24; 09-26-2014 at 06:06 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-27-2014, 01:13 AM

27 posts, read 49,764 times
They are both about the same, but have a large number of yuppie subdivions being built there. Grand Ledge is cheaper. Muliken is a better bet. On the Dewitt side north of St. Johns would be better and has a better access to US127. Also look at Langsburg.

Old 09-27-2014, 07:24 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,860,107 times
Perry is nice, Mason...there are a ton of smaller towns around the Lansing area where you can also have lots of countryside.

Old 09-27-2014, 09:49 AM

2,948 posts, read 6,993,582 times
This would be a lot easier to answer if we knew what your priorities are?

Things like:
-do schools matter?
-Does commute matter?
-what kind of housing / price do you want?
-rent or buy?
-do you want / need large plot of land, or is in-town small town living your forte?
-specific price range?

Old 09-28-2014, 01:03 AM

5 posts, read 20,817 times
Grand ledge is a nice sized isolated town close to the highway, Dewitt is neighboring north Lansing (best part of town) and has very good schools. If you truly are from the country I would look closely at Bath and Lainsburg. Both have easy highway access and have a good amount of land. Bath has more state preserved land then anywhere I know in the area and has great public hunting access, also property price is low. I'm from Haslett and have no affiliation with any of these areas.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:09 AM

3,119 posts, read 6,561,116 times
Another area you might want to check out is Charlotte (it is pronounced Char-LOT in Michigan, with the emphasis on LOT. It is not pronounced like Charlotte, NC). Real estate prices are definitely lower than Grand Ledge, DeWitt, Mason, etc. Those towns are a little more suburban with new housing developments, and a little closer to Lansing, which makes them more "desirable." In Charlotte you can get a nice house on 5 acres for less than $200,000, for example. It is more of a farming community than any of the other places that have been mentioned. You can still commute to jobs on the west side of Lansing in 20-25 minutes or so from there. Another town that is rarely mentioned is Eaton Rapids. It has lower prices like Charlotte, and a truly beautiful downtown/Main Street.

The good news is that you really can't go wrong with the rural areas around Lansing. There are tons of options. If you drive 20 minutes from downtown Lansing in any direction, you will find nice small towns and rural areas. Portland, northwest of Lansing on I-96, is another one that has not been mentioned.

So you have never been to Michigan? Here are a few pics that I took during fall/winter the last couple of years in the Charlotte and Grand Ledge areas, just to give you an idea of what things look like up here:

Old 09-28-2014, 09:29 AM
chh

420 posts, read 647,625 times
Agreed, Charlotte and Eaton Rapids are both really nice. You should definently consider the area around there very pretty and especially with Eaton Rapids it's very rural.

Old 09-28-2014, 07:41 PM

91,973 posts, read 122,044,192 times
I'm surprised that no one mentioned Williamston or Webberville. St. Johns north of Lansing could be another place to look into. Leslie may be another one to check out.

Last edited by ckhthankgod; 09-28-2014 at 07:50 PM..

Old 09-29-2014, 12:29 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,916,867 times
I'm more familiar with the northeast side, but I would also look at places like Owosso, Ovid, and Laingsburg.

A lot will depend on what type of commute you want, amount of land, rural or small-town living, etc.

Old 09-29-2014, 03:23 PM
chh

420 posts, read 647,625 times
Really any of the small towns around Lansing are really nice. It just depends on where you're working in Lansing so your commute will be easier.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan