Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-08-2014, 08:33 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times

Advertisements

I am contemplating/planning a move to California in the coming year or two, if not sooner. After graduating from U of M in '96, I moved to Maryland, was there for several years, then relocated to NJ, and then into Manhattan. I lost my job due to 9/11 and then moved back to Michigan - Ann Arbor specifically. While I am currently employed, I have suffered from several lay offs and I've just become so disinterested in my home state.

I completed my Masters at EMU last December in Communication, and I want to move away just as soon as I get my finances in order. Is anyone else feeling disconnected from Michigan, or SE Michigan and yearn to move away, somewhere, anywhere else?

I'll always cherish Michigan as my home state and proudly admit it, and I'll visit family often. But once you have lived in another part of the country, and since I travel a lot to Canada and England on holidays, I love being outside of Michigan and I know when the time comes, my professional and personal life will flourish.

Thanks,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-08-2014, 08:39 AM

3,166 posts, read 3,356,252 times
I live in MI. No plans ever to move out of state. Safe travels.

Old 10-08-2014, 08:46 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
You know it's not for everyone I understand. But if you're reasons for leaving are economic how can you gaurantee that your situation will be any better anywhere else? Ann Arbor has one of the best economies not just in the state, but in the country especially for those with graduate degrees. With a jobless rate under 3% for people with a bachelors degree or higher, what will be different for you elsewhere?

Old 10-08-2014, 09:30 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
I think it'd be nice to live some place else for a while, but no I'm not necessarily anxious to move. I think going through several layoffs would make anyone want to move somewhere else no matter where they live.

Old 10-08-2014, 09:42 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
I'll never move...grass is not always greener.
Good luck!

Old 10-08-2014, 10:05 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,058,434 times
Like a few other posters on here I actually moved to Michigan from England and love it here.
( welllll, maybe nor so much the winters...)
Happy to be here and not looking to move again.

Old 10-08-2014, 10:23 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MItoBH View Post
I am contemplating/planning a move to California in the coming year or two, if not sooner. After graduating from U of M in '96, I moved to Maryland, was there for several years, then relocated to NJ, and then into Manhattan. I lost my job due to 9/11 and then moved back to Michigan - Ann Arbor specifically. While I am currently employed, I have suffered from several lay offs and I've just become so disinterested in my home state.

I completed my Masters at EMU last December in Communication, and I want to move away just as soon as I get my finances in order. Is anyone else feeling disconnected from Michigan, or SE Michigan and yearn to move away, somewhere, anywhere else?

I'll always cherish Michigan as my home state and proudly admit it, and I'll visit family often. But once you have lived in another part of the country, and since I travel a lot to Canada and England on holidays, I love being outside of Michigan and I know when the time comes, my professional and personal life will flourish.

Thanks,
Definitely several layoffs in a short period of time can make someone bitter. A new outlook and location might be good for a change. But I will say that you've apparently moved 4 times since graduating college, and now looking at a fifth move. Maybe a deeper personal dive into what your real goals and aspirations are is in order. Just a thought.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:13 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
No. I travel at least once a year out of state for a week vacation and as much as I love experiencing different places, I love going back home. Also, if you plan on moving for employment purposes, Cali's unemployment rate is only .4% better than Michigan's. You need to find a place with a better unemployment rate that is desirable to you. If you just want something different, then Cali is a good choice (but I would still find a job out there first).

Your situation is very common, especially among people in their 20's. Every place that I go to, I can find someone in my generation who has lived there all of their life and wants to move somewhere else. It's not just you, it's not just a MI thing, it's a generational "grass is greener" or "I want something different" thing. Especially with the media's influence.

What I always say... do what makes you happy. I understand people's desire to move elsewhere. I just hope you make a good decision when you do move. Best of luck to you

Old 10-08-2014, 11:31 AM

1,596 posts, read 2,057,445 times
Thanks for everyone's comments thus far. My primary reason for leaving MI is because I'm fed up with winter. The Polar Vortex crap from last year really, really pissed me off and I need to get out of here. I have vacationed in California six times since 2005, so that tells you right there that I have an affinity for the state. I'm not in my 20s, I'm in my 40s, and I want the next 20+ years of my working career to be in a state and a climate that is conducive to my active lifestyle and professional growth.

Ann Arbor is the best city in Michigan, and because of that, every Tom, Dick, and Molly has a degree here and vying for the best jobs. There are so many license plates in A2 alone of people coming here from everywhere to work. So I know I'm in the hottest spot in Michigan, but yet, I still feel frustrated in not being able to live up to my own expectations of professional development. So my decision is to move West. I'm excited about it, it's going to take time, I want to move to be smooth and smart. and yes, I will line a job up there first before I start the move.

Michigan is a beautiful state and it'll always be my home, and I do understand why some people will never move. I love adventure, and I know I'm not alone in my sentiments.

Old 10-08-2014, 11:37 AM

1,648 posts, read 3,271,575 times
What are the professional development opportunities that are available there that aren't available in your current city? It sounds like you're running from your problems/frustrations and using the weather as a scapegoat, rather that focusing on what you need to change.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan