Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-19-2014, 04:15 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,695,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post

Seriously though, listening to locals may be pretty bad advice. Like someone from the Detroit forum mentioned recently, people having lived all their lives in environments like Flint or Detroit consider the crime, echoes of sirens and gunfire all day long, urban decay like abandoned and burned down houses, shops, and factories normal and will tell you it is not so bad over here but is far from normal to people from the civilized world. People from those environments will be street smart by now and a clueless foreigner may be a sitting duck in environments like that.
I am 31 years old. I will admit, I only lived within the city limits of Flint for the first five and a half years of my life. We moved to the suburbs. However, my grandparents, an aunt, an uncle, and many family friends continue to live there. I worked in one of the worst areas of the city just last year. I have never heard a gunshot or witnessed a fire. It isn't a war zone. At times, the media may cause that perception. It is only one small portion of a very large story. Then, people like you, who do not have a clue what they are talking about, continue to slander the city. Please move on. I'm literally begging you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
I remember the first time we arrived in Chicago and a friend drove us through areas like Cicero I was thinking 'what the **** am I doing here' and I wanted to board the first plane back to Europe. And Chicago isn't considered as bad as Flint or Detroit.
I was more uncomfortable in the south side of Chicago than I've ever been in Detroit or Flint.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-19-2014, 08:36 PM

16 posts, read 35,673 times
Thank you jaynarie.

Dose anyone know where I can get some "behind the wheel" driving lessons in flint?

Old 12-19-2014, 08:53 PM

2,741 posts, read 2,967,381 times
A man, even walking around by himself in that area is far safer than a young female. I agree with the "Flint can be spotty" comment. I was brought up North of there, and due to work was in Flint frequently. I'm working out of Saginaw right now.

Ms. Pink, you are not a native of the area, and since you don't drive at present, you have far more concerns about keeping yourself safe. Do not put your head in the sand just because some of the comments here are a bit negative, and keep aware at all times when you are there. Do NOT EVER go alone anywhere outside of the campus, such as walking around the area and neighborhood.

You need to assume that predators are everywhere, and they look for targets that have advantage and weakness. It's just a fact of nature that females tend to look weak, and open themselves to advantageous danger. Protect yourself, and don't make it easy for them! Carrying Pepper spray, and a pocket airhorn can't hurt at the very minimum.

This is the main driving school in the area: http://www.majords.com/

Old 12-20-2014, 09:47 AM

16 posts, read 35,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
A man, even walking around by himself in that area is far safer than a young female. I agree with the "Flint can be spotty" comment. I was brought up North of there, and due to work was in Flint frequently. I'm working out of Saginaw right now.

Ms. Pink, you are not a native of the area, and since you don't drive at present, you have far more concerns about keeping yourself safe. Do not put your head in the sand just because some of the comments here are a bit negative, and keep aware at all times when you are there. Do NOT EVER go alone anywhere outside of the campus, such as walking around the area and neighborhood.

You need to assume that predators are everywhere, and they look for targets that have advantage and weakness. It's just a fact of nature that females tend to look weak, and open themselves to advantageous danger. Protect yourself, and don't make it easy for them! Carrying Pepper spray, and a pocket airhorn can't hurt at the very minimum.

This is the main driving school in the area: Major Driving School LLC | Road Tests, Teen and Adult Driver Education, Ticket Resolution
Thank you so much for the advice. I don't go out too much and the only places that I see myself going to is the School, Mall, restaurants and grocery stores that's all. I don't think that I'll ever walk around the campus area. I didn't do that in Wisconsin so I don't see my self doing that in Flint. Beside that, Kettering university seems like very small it's 3 buildings only and I think all my classes will be in one building.

I'm taking everybody advice and I decided to take an apartment in Grand Blanc.

Thank again for all of you who tried to help me I really appreciate it.

Old 12-22-2014, 11:07 PM

264 posts, read 386,422 times
Is there a potential "ban drro" petition I can sign? As noted by MANY other forumers, this dude does NOTHING but post negative, anti-US crap on EVERY forum he posts. Seriously, I looked at his history and EVERY post is like this. He contributes NOTHING. ZERO. Just negative filth. BAN DRRO!!

Old 12-24-2014, 02:32 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,848,362 times
Drro: I did have alot to say to you on this thread but I just realized that you constantly bash places in America. What is your obsession with the negative things in America? And where do you get off giving someone advice about a place that you never even been to? FYI by the way you described Detroit I can tell you have no clue what your talking about.

Old 12-24-2014, 02:52 AM

264 posts, read 386,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Drro: I did have alot to say to you on this thread but I just realized that you constantly bash places in America. What is your obsession with the negative things in America? And where do you get off giving someone advice about a place that you never even been to? FYI by the way you described Detroit I can tell you have no clue what your talking about.
He's a troll, that's why..

Old 12-25-2014, 02:33 PM

251 posts, read 298,406 times
I know some cities are worse than other, but as long as humans exist, crime will. Makes me laugh whenever I hear someone on the news say "I thought it would never happen here" when something bad goes down. I lived in the worst areas of Flint and never been robbed or shot at. Just have to have street smarts, a little bit of luck and a some common sense. Then again, anything can happen.

Old 12-26-2014, 01:51 PM

1,901 posts, read 1,817,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms. pink View Post
Hello everyone,

I'm an international student and I'll move in two weeks from Wisconsin to Flint to go to Kettering University. I was wondering if you could help me in finding good apartments in safe areas to live in!

Whenever I ask, people told me it's not a safe city to live in, there is no any cap services and you must have a car! So, they are not really helping!

I'm wondering if you have any suggestion for me. Also, I don't drive and I don't have a car, but this is something I will work on in future.

Thank you

I'm late to the party, but yes DON'T STAY IN FLINT! Check out Flushing, MI as it's not that far of a drive to Kettering and it's an excellent area in terms of income, low crime, not a lot of ghetto/low class blacks, etc. http://www.city-data.com/city/Flushing-Michigan.html

As a second choice, check out Grand Blanc, they aren't as good as Flushing but they are MUCH better than Flint http://www.city-data.com/city/Grand-Blanc-Michigan.html

But I would still choose Flushing if I were you.

Old 12-26-2014, 08:10 PM

3,830 posts, read 6,695,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jotucker99 View Post
I'm late to the party, but yes DON'T STAY IN FLINT! Check out Flushing, MI as it's not that far of a drive to Kettering and it's an excellent area in terms of income, low crime, not a lot of ghetto/low class blacks, etc. http://www.city-data.com/city/Flushing-Michigan.html

As a second choice, check out Grand Blanc, they aren't as good as Flushing but they are MUCH better than Flint http://www.city-data.com/city/Grand-Blanc-Michigan.html

But I would still choose Flushing if I were you.
The OP has to rely on public transportation. Flushing would not be ideal. Grand Blanc has far more bus stops.

And Flushing vs. Grand Blanc is pure opinion. Personally, I'm a Davison kind of girl myself. But, again, GB fits the OPs needs the best.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan