U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-03-2019, 09:59 PM

2,326 posts, read 4,851,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GraniteStater View Post
155 inches of snow means a good winter for most Yoopers that enjoy winter sports and being out on the trails. The real Snow Belt region is the Keweenaw Peninsula that usually averages over 300 inches a season. The record snowiest winter there was 1978-79 with around 450 inches.
Cannot imagine 37 FEET of snow!! OMG! And I went to college in Buffalo back in the early 70's! Though Buffalo is in the minor leagues compared to the UP or Keweenaw. LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-10-2019, 10:09 AM

1,265 posts, read 1,046,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Cannot imagine 37 FEET of snow!! OMG! And I went to college in Buffalo back in the early 70's! Though Buffalo is in the minor leagues compared to the UP or Keweenaw. LOL

Where did you go to school? I was there, too. Was there for the blizzard in '77 near the end of my schooling.

Old 07-29-2019, 02:23 PM

1,204 posts, read 708,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
There were some guys that moved to the Soo that were on here. Not sure if they still check on CD
I think you may mean us.

Been meaning to get back here, but the forums further down Religion/Politics etc can sometimes be to tempting. The best way to avoid them was to not show up anywhere.

Still here all the reasons we enjoyed the area, still apply with eyes wide open knowing that you could read social and economic papers about Appalachian and substitute UP with many of the same results.

Maybe moving though, as a health issue has creeped up that is easier treated in TC or Petosky or Marquette. We like Marquette, but too far away from reamaing friends and family.

Goodnews is that our local hospital was totally able to do all vascular, heart, lung studies needed to see that in one sense I am perfectly healthy via those standard. Bad new is (found by MacLaren Hosp) is that I have an anemia not caused by lack of food or even absorption of Vits during digestion.

It appears either my bone marrow cant make enough healthy RBC and platelets or there is a destruction of them going on in my spleen which is supposed to store excessive blood for emergencies and destroy the old bad ones. Seems my spleen may have its job backwards.

Old 07-29-2019, 08:28 PM

1,226 posts, read 1,241,195 times
My mother grew up in the Iron River area, and I have spent many summers there. I love it! I have a cousin from there who swears that it once snowed in July! The fall there is gorgeous.

Old 08-04-2019, 01:03 PM

21,211 posts, read 36,837,458 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by siameseifyoupls View Post
My mother grew up in the Iron River area, and I have spent many summers there. I love it! I have a cousin from there who swears that it once snowed in July! The fall there is gorgeous.
I wil be making a road trip to that region by the end of September, a great time of year to go as a freeze has usually taken care of the black flies and mosquitoes.

Old 09-02-2019, 08:06 PM

180 posts, read 148,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Snow was the least of my concerns. I don't mind the weather there. I'm much happier in cold climates. It's everything else about the U.P. that nearly had me committed.

As long as you know what you're getting into you should be fine. I never wanted to live there in the first place so being isolated in a remote, backward, 40+ years behind the times area with no amenities was not my idea of fun. Oh, and the lack of any type of livable wage job for a college educated person. It's not my preferred culture so I wasn't happy.

For what it's worth I moved there from Montana where I was quite happy. The U.P. made Helena, MT look like Manhattan.

(With the exceptions of Marquette and Houghton. I could have lasted a few more years in either of those locations but that's not where we were relocated)
My idea of heaven on earth! I grew up 70 miles West of Chicago. Left in 99 and spent 5 long miserable years in Florida before moving to Northern Wisconsin. Spent a year in Hayward and then moved to Boulder MT South of Helena, Then a year later to Helena, and 2 years later to Kalispell. The whole state of Montana has been Californicated and is WAAAY to expensive for the working man. Yuppies abound in all the bigger metro areas and honestly it was really starting to suck. We moved back to Minocqua Wisconsin 3 years ago but plan on retiring in the UP. The further away from big cities the better!!!

Old 09-03-2019, 07:37 AM

4,757 posts, read 2,835,024 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjstef View Post
My idea of heaven on earth! I grew up 70 miles West of Chicago. Left in 99 and spent 5 long miserable years in Florida before moving to Northern Wisconsin. Spent a year in Hayward and then moved to Boulder MT South of Helena, Then a year later to Helena, and 2 years later to Kalispell. The whole state of Montana has been Californicated and is WAAAY to expensive for the working man. Yuppies abound in all the bigger metro areas and honestly it was really starting to suck. We moved back to Minocqua Wisconsin 3 years ago but plan on retiring in the UP. The further away from big cities the better!!!
Anyone who claims Helena has been Californicated should be taken with a grain of salt. Good on you for towing the company line though.

You seem like you don't like people/tourists yet you're in Minocqua?

Old 09-16-2019, 11:33 PM

180 posts, read 148,486 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vegabern View Post
Anyone who claims Helena has been Californicated should be taken with a grain of salt. Good on you for towing the company line though.

You seem like you don't like people/tourists yet you're in Minocqua?

The tourists here in Minocqua are far different than the Californians that have taken over Montana. For the most part them come and go home unlike the Californians driving up real estate prices in Montana where the locals can no longer afford to live there. Real estate is less than half the price here as well and i actually make more money working less.

Old 09-21-2019, 10:18 AM

392 posts, read 153,403 times
Hello all, instead of making a entire thread to ask a simple question, I'm putting it here.

I'm making an impromptu trip to the North Woods of MN and the Keweenaw the last part of September and the first few days in Oct. When I started looking up places to stay, I was shocked to see incredibly high prices to stay in Houghton - like over $200 a night. Good thing I found an Airbnb to rent - a whole house for a fraction of the cost (up the road in Calumet). But even with Airbnb, the pickings were slim, and I was lucky to score what I did.

Even in the Arrowhead of Minnesota, where I'll be going first, the campgrounds are nearly booked out, meaning I need to pick out where I want to stay in advance rather than just showing up at a place that looks good. At least the motels in Duluth can be had for reasonable cost, lol.

My question is thus - why are so many places so booked-up and costly? This is well removed from the peak summer travel season, so what gives? Is it all about the leaf-peeping, which is supposedly good this time of the year? I'm going just to escape the infernal heat down here in GA - the colors are just a bonus.

Still can't wait to visit one of my favorite places, and I'm not complaining, since I'm lucky enough not to pay inflated rates. I'm just curious ...

Old 09-21-2019, 01:42 PM

3,439 posts, read 3,171,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical_Thinker View Post
Hello all, instead of making a entire thread to ask a simple question, I'm putting it here.

I'm making an impromptu trip to the North Woods of MN and the Keweenaw the last part of September and the first few days in Oct. When I started looking up places to stay, I was shocked to see incredibly high prices to stay in Houghton - like over $200 a night. Good thing I found an Airbnb to rent - a whole house for a fraction of the cost (up the road in Calumet). But even with Airbnb, the pickings were slim, and I was lucky to score what I did.

Even in the Arrowhead of Minnesota, where I'll be going first, the campgrounds are nearly booked out, meaning I need to pick out where I want to stay in advance rather than just showing up at a place that looks good. At least the motels in Duluth can be had for reasonable cost, lol.

My question is thus - why are so many places so booked-up and costly? This is well removed from the peak summer travel season, so what gives? Is it all about the leaf-peeping, which is supposedly good this time of the year? I'm going just to escape the infernal heat down here in GA - the colors are just a bonus.

Still can't wait to visit one of my favorite places, and I'm not complaining, since I'm lucky enough not to pay inflated rates. I'm just curious ...
Leafers are cause of it all. Probably biggest season on the north shore in MN according to all the locals I know there. I know of two spots you can tent camp that others won't know of in MN. Let me know and I can DM where they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan