Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-22-2015, 11:49 PM

1 posts, read 1,190 times

Advertisements

Hello, My family will be relocating to Detroit metro area and I would like to know the school districts that provide the best quality of education. My job is in Southfield. My son is in elementary school and daughter will be starting middle school and education is our top most priority. Please advise which school districts have accelerated programs/ grade advancements so kids can study higher level math, English. They should also have good language program such as Spanish, music program and some sports. Which area is best for top notch quality public schools among Novi, Northville, Plymoth-Canton, Troy, Bloomfield Hills. Kindly advise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2015, 07:48 PM

4,554 posts, read 4,800,661 times
International Academy in Bloomfield Hills is the best school in the state. One of the 10-15 best in the country.
Public, open to anyone in Oakland county.

Old 04-24-2015, 09:24 PM
chh

420 posts, read 648,660 times
Statistically Bloomfield Hills public schools has the best test scores for a public school district in the metro Detroit area, and it's near Southfield.

Old 04-24-2015, 11:34 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,836,575 times
I would expect that any of these districts have the academic, music and sports programs that you are looking for. You might want to consider speaking to community advisors at the various school districts' main offices to answer specific questions about advanced programs and opportunities for accelerated study.

Old 04-25-2015, 08:06 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,070,272 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpio516 View Post
International Academy in Bloomfield Hills is the best school in the state. One of the 10-15 best in the country.
Public, open to anyone in Oakland county.
Does it really take "anyone?" I thought it was more like a magnet school that had set criteria for admission? Would my neighbor with a 70 FSIQ get in?

I do not think it is public? There are no links to Oakland ISD, which leads me to wonder if they have some kind of tuition?

Old 04-25-2015, 11:02 AM

2,851 posts, read 2,281,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
Statistically Bloomfield Hills public schools has the best test scores for a public school district in the metro Detroit area, and it's near Southfield.
No, Troy does. Tons of Indian kids who do nothing but study day and night. Do you want to compete with them - that's another issue. I want my kids to have all As but also have a life.

Look at MEAP scores. That's the best indicator.

Old 04-26-2015, 03:38 PM

4,554 posts, read 4,800,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zthatzmanz28 View Post
Does it really take "anyone?" I thought it was more like a magnet school that had set criteria for admission? Would my neighbor with a 70 FSIQ get in?
They want the kids to be on track to take AP Calc. They do administer a math placement test.

Quote:
I do not think it is public? There are no links to Oakland ISD, which leads me to wonder if they have some kind of tuition?
I thought so too. But it's fed by a consortium of districts. International Academy: Consortium Districts

Old 04-26-2015, 03:54 PM

2,045 posts, read 1,836,575 times
Isn't IA a high school program?

Old 04-26-2015, 04:09 PM
chh

420 posts, read 648,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ummagumma View Post
No, Troy does. Tons of Indian kids who do nothing but study day and night. Do you want to compete with them - that's another issue. I want my kids to have all As but also have a life.

Look at MEAP scores. That's the best indicator.
I guess schooldigger.com uses a different test then, it says Bloomfield Hills is.

Old 04-26-2015, 06:05 PM

2,990 posts, read 5,244,475 times
Well, the above conversation doesn't address private schools.

Like anywhere else, you follow the money. If you are literally the kind of parent intent on putting their kids in THE best schools in the district, I doubt you would need this board, as the rankings are easily found online.

That being said you need to separate overall rankings from academic rankings if you want to get really hardcore about it.

If you want a really good school district, I think Northville might offer the best overall package.

If you really think your kids are on an Ivy League trajectory, by all means, throw them in the pits with all of the other little monsters from Oakland County!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan