Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2008, 02:15 PM

336 posts, read 908,389 times

Advertisements

My grandparents used to work for the tribune when my mom was a kid. I think her cousin still does....a photographer I think.

Cheboygan is great, but anyone looking for an exciting nightlife, I'm afraid would be disappointed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2008, 02:32 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,409 times
yes, if you are used to city nightlife you def. might be disappointed, but i am in my 20's and i always manage to have fun....if you are of drinking age, the bars def. can be fun-live music=dancing if you want...kareoke-if you are into that...bars within walking distance-if you like a club-like atmosphere then the dixie in mackinaw usually has a DJ...i prefer live music though so Mulligans in cheboygan, The Pines in Cheboygan, along with a few other places are always a good time to me!

The opera House has good performances as often as they can...the community has events which are sometimes evening events that are a lot of fun....
beautiful parks to hang out in an dhave a bonfire (or someones backyard!) of course there is the movie theatre or the bowling alley-which actually has live music now sometimes!
Hoppies is a fun bar too
but yes, NO big concerts nor fun funky cafe's nor museum evening events...but small town nightlife is where you get creative

Old 07-18-2008, 04:28 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mofromcheboygankalamazoo View Post
...but small town nightlife is where you get creative
Good point! Otherwise, how could John Mellencamp have written so many songs about it! LOL

Old 07-20-2008, 02:45 AM

20 posts, read 103,233 times
Wow,as much as Lake Huron is not Lake Michigan.... It still has its places. There are tons of sandy beaches that are reasonalbypriceced just begging for some lower middle class to gobble up

Old 07-22-2008, 05:10 PM

211 posts, read 548,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MICoastieMom View Post
You folks do realize that in cases of "consenting" teenagers where the girl is under age, the young man is guilty of statutory rape and is technically considered a pedophile. It is not necessarily date rape, either. In many cases, they are what we used to call high school sweethearts and are hoping/planning to be married. The registry was busy today so I could not get on to check if this was the case in Cheyboygan, but I suspect it may be.
Cheboygan County has always ranked very high in sex offenders. I graduated from CHS a LONG time ago, and knew several kids who were being messed around with. I knew teachers who were messing with some kids. I knew many men, young and old, who looked for kids to abuse, one in particular who took an interest in me...fortunately, I was too smart for him. I know of many families, some with names you would recognize, where this was going on in their homes. It's a sickness that seems to permeate from that sleepy town. You can pretend it isn't there, but the statistics don't lie, in fact, those are only the ones that are reported.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:30 PM

I was in Cheboygan last weekend for a performance at the Opera House. We ate at This Old House!!!!!!!!!!! Mulligan's looks great, the downtown has come a long way toward looking like they are taking pride in their community.

I have some suggestions. They need to take some cues from Petoskey...that town brings in SO many tourists because of the shopping in the gaslight district, the waterfront park, nice hotels, plenty of new businesses coming in, better restaurants, lots for a family to do...and it's CHARMING!!! If Cheboygan can't compete with other towns in the area, they will miss out on all of the $$$$$, and will never experience the economic growth that Petoskey has. Because Petoskey is such a beautiful and desirable place to live, the Real Estate market is not nearly as stagnant as many other communities. Their housing continues to demand top dollar, even with present market conditions.

And you wanted to know what schools I was comparing Cheboygan with? You guessed it...Petoskey!

I still say they need a Target and a mall or at least some good clothing stores.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:35 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,351,683 times
I am not referring to adults who are abusing children. I am referring only to cases where both parties are "consenting" teenagers, and where in many cases they planned to have a long term relationship. Those are the cases that can artifically inflate statisitcs. I think it is unfortunate that there isn't some other way to deal with these foolish young men instead of labeling them with the stigma of social pariah for the rest of their lives. As to the individuals to whom you refer, one can only hope that the law eventually catches them and brings justice to their victims.

Old 07-22-2008, 05:55 PM

Those consenting cases may indeed inflate those statistics, but the statistics for Cheboygan County would remain high even without those cases, I'm afraid. And yes, justice is long overdue.

Old 09-01-2008, 02:59 PM

2 posts, read 9,094 times
Default up and coming

All great posts about Cheboygan, other than the negatives.
My wife and both grew up in Cheboygan, attended public schools, married eachother, moved away to Grand Rapids for college, and are now back in Cheboygan to raise our kids.
There simply is not a better comunity to raise children. The small town atmosphere provides for a unique setting in which a parent has the golden opportunity to be involved. In Cheboygan, you have the luxury of KNOWING the people who have influence on your child in the classroom. The teachers are very accessible. The community is close knit and if your children desire to be involved in sports, they will actually be an active member of a team, not just a number as is the case with larger metropolitan area schools. In any event, my wife has her master's in physical therapy, I have a bachelor's in bio medical science, and we own two businesses in Cheboygan; the school system prepared us very well for a productive future. As in any town in the world, school is what you make of it.
Granted, Cheboygan is lacking in some resources such a community pool, however things are on the move. A new city council has revived some long thought about ideas for the town.. Changes are swiftly happening. The town cannot be set in a more beautiful location, on the inland waterway, unfortunately it has been completely under utilized for many years in terms of the commercial possibilities.

Old 09-01-2008, 03:42 PM

550 posts, read 2,052,409 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by onthewaterway View Post
All great posts about Cheboygan, other than the negatives.
My wife and both grew up in Cheboygan, attended public schools, married eachother, moved away to Grand Rapids for college, and are now back in Cheboygan to raise our kids.
There simply is not a better comunity to raise children. The small town atmosphere provides for a unique setting in which a parent has the golden opportunity to be involved. In Cheboygan, you have the luxury of KNOWING the people who have influence on your child in the classroom. The teachers are very accessible. The community is close knit and if your children desire to be involved in sports, they will actually be an active member of a team, not just a number as is the case with larger metropolitan area schools. In any event, my wife has her master's in physical therapy, I have a bachelor's in bio medical science, and we own two businesses in Cheboygan; the school system prepared us very well for a productive future. As in any town in the world, school is what you make of it.
Granted, Cheboygan is lacking in some resources such a community pool, however things are on the move. A new city council has revived some long thought about ideas for the town.. Changes are swiftly happening. The town cannot be set in a more beautiful location, on the inland waterway, unfortunately it has been completely under utilized for many years in terms of the commercial possibilities.
Great Post
I agree 100% as people know by my posts!
welcome!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan