U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-11-2008, 03:37 PM

2 posts, read 12,128 times

Advertisements

i was born and raised in california.
but i don't like it here, on christmas it didnt even feel like christmas. it was hot and nothing was going on.
and on thanksgiving it didnt even feel like thanksgiving.
and no ones really friendly here.
i'm just looking for a place to go to college and start a family.
Do you think i will like living in michigan, i don't mind the cold?
i'm thinking somewhere by sterling heights, rochester hills, or troy..what do you think??
thanks for any replies
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-11-2008, 03:53 PM

284 posts, read 1,174,744 times
I lived in many places - though not California - before I moved to Michigan and I liked it very well. Do you plan to attend college full time or will you work? There are many other states you might consider as well. Get a job or at least some very solid leads before you move.

Old 01-11-2008, 03:55 PM

31 posts, read 71,165 times
Default Go For It

If you dont mind cold winters, go for it. If you have good equity in your home, you should be able to pay cash for something in Michigan. I lived in Michigan for 35 years and i miss it alot. ( family, friends, 4 seasons, trees, lakes, wildlife, etc). I personally dont know how people can stand living in southern California because of the traffic. No offense anyone, just my opinion.

Old 01-11-2008, 04:59 PM

15,819 posts, read 31,799,789 times
Michigan is a better place to raise a family. We lived in OC for 18 years and then moved back to MI. We made a list of what we liked better about each place. It is posted on these boards somewhere. It may be helpful.

In simplest terms we found that California is more fun, Michigan is more pleasant.

If you come to U-M you will fall in love with Ann Arbor and never want to leave.

Old 01-12-2008, 11:36 AM

760 posts, read 1,497,504 times
It depends on a lot more variables then you've given us BUt from what you've given so far, you would probably like it. I grew up in San Diego and I love where I live (Michigans upper peninsula). Most people I know would hate the isolation tho.....

Old 01-12-2008, 12:52 PM

7,270 posts, read 11,105,098 times
I would recommend becoming very physically active (if not already) or take up recreational sports you can do year round to get you through the cloudy winter months. The endorphines keep away Seasonal Affective Disorder that some people suffer from.

Otherwise, I think it would be a great adventure!

Old 01-13-2008, 09:35 AM

4,889 posts, read 4,323,709 times
None of the places in MI you mention are what I think of as college towns...you might consider E. Lansing (where they keep MSU), Ann Arbor/Ypsi (where they keep the UofM and EMU), and anywhere around Oakland County (where you can find Oakland University). But for a reliably jingly and snow-covered Xmas season you should consoder going much farther north -- look into Lake Superior State College which is in the most beautiful setting imaginable.

Old 01-13-2008, 01:43 PM

869 posts, read 919,270 times
I'm originally from Cali (Central Valley), lived there my entire life- I moved here to MI a year and a half ago, because I married a Michigander- I can tell you what seems different from me in relation to living both places- where I was in Cali, the cost of living was no higher than what it was here, and in some instances, it costs more to live here- our water bills are unreal, they were nowhere near this high in Cali, and I thought we had been suffering a drought there for the last 25 years, lol- the weather was a tough one for me- I was not used to such drastic weather changes- one day last April, I remember I had a sunburn one day (sunburn? I NEVER burned back in Cali, lol), the next day it was pouring rain, the day after that it snowed- I just stood at the living room window and stared out in amazement, lol-

However....Cali is hot....it's ALWAYS hot- where I was, the air quality was horrible- I have to say that in the city I lived in, there is a huge concentration of gangs and gang activity- meth labs and users seems to be at an all-time high there (no, I didn't live in L.A. or Frisco...in between, actually)---and because of the crime, the city was inundated with police, it was like a war zone- had I been able to afford to live in a nice area like La Jolla, Frisco, or even parts of L.A. or Napa, I would have jumped on it- however, we know how astronomical the cost of living is in those places- I was tired of Cali, I have to admit--

Now for my take on Michigan .....when it snows, it's beautiful, it really is- although I have no clue how to drive in the stuff, walking isn't easy, lol- my husband freaks me out when his tires are spinning in the snow and he's flooring it- I'm always thinking when we take off, we'll REALLY take off, ha----there are trees here, and they are actually green- not like the olive drab ones back in Cali- the air seems cleaner, even though we're close to Detroit- the autumns are absolutely breathtaking.....we're looking to buy a few acres in Roscommon county, and the prices of housing and land are unbelievably low- you could never find that in Cali, no matter how long you looked- so all in all, as difficult as getting used to living in another state and being away from family goes, I'm acclimating and I actually do like it-

So I say....c'mon out, lol~

Old 01-13-2008, 04:40 PM

31 posts, read 61,126 times
You can breathe much better in Michigan than you can in California!

Old 01-24-2008, 01:32 PM

2 posts, read 9,917 times
My daughter went to Oakland U. and Wayne State U.--both very good schools--we live in Rochester.The town has alot to offer, including-- affordable apartment living, the Paint Creek Trail for walking or biking; a beautiful downtown, and word has it we were rated 39th best place to live in the U.S.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan