Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 10:08 AM
OSR OSR started this thread

1 posts, read 2,844 times

Advertisements

So more and more people are admitting that Michigan is in a one state recession. If the country goes into recession does this mean that Michigan is going to be in a one state depression?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-13-2008, 11:52 AM

83 posts, read 65,820 times
I seen some help signs at tubbies and pizzas probably turnover rate is high because of the low pay.However hiring is very chilly.

Old 01-13-2008, 03:49 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,766,626 times
I just read that because the U.S. economy is doing poorly and dollar is dropping in value compared to virtually every other currency, production orders in Michigan (for companies that export internationally) are way up. Especially people in Europe and Canada see American goods at a great value.

MLive.com: Everything Michigan

Old 01-13-2008, 04:38 PM

31 posts, read 88,991 times
It's not a recession or a depression, it's called "Dubya at work"! Thank you Mr. President, hope you drown in your oil.

Old 01-13-2008, 04:39 PM

1,068 posts, read 2,066,791 times
No, it means that MI will become a rogue state, teaching everyone else how to survive during a recession/depression, because we'll have mega experience by then-lol

Old 01-13-2008, 04:52 PM

34 posts, read 204,234 times
aIt may have began as a one state recession, but Michigan is hardly alone these days. Even though the Presidential primaries are here this week and everyone is falling all over themselves with how they are going to save us from this one state depression if we'll only give them our vote!

The end of manufacturing in the U.S. as we knew it and our communications jobs all going overseas has happened to everyone. The driving down of wages due to things such as cheap illegal labor has affected everyone, too. Except for a few pockets here and there, the country as a whole is probably in a recession, even if our leaders simply don't want to admit it.

It might be fashionable right now to poke fun at dumb old Michigan, with its unions, auto workers, and Big Three, but many of the places who kept pointing at us are in trouble now themselves. I'll use Phoenix as an example since we moved down there for a short time after the collapse of our construction company which had fed us for 25 plus years. We realized that things were going to turn bad there and we chose to return to our state and slug it out until things turn around. Their housing market is now in free fall, with 18 months or more of unsold new homes, foreclosures through the roof. Intel just laid off 60% of their employees, many of which were only hired last year. Honeywell just laid off a couple hundred workers and are moving those jobs outside of the U.S. Wages are way down in many job areas due to illegal workers who will do the job for a lot less and wages seemed to be lower all the way around there. Yet, it wasn't a less expensive place to live unless you wanted to either drive an hour and a half or more to work because you have to live so far out from the city, or live in areas more prone to crime. Of course with housing headed for bargain prices this will change. (The Canadians are heading down to Phoenix and buying up lots of bargains!)

Check out this story on Forbes about the 100 best job market cities in the U.S. for 2008. Phoenix and Las Vegas, both formerly huge jobs and growth markets, are way down the list. Heck, Grand Rapids beat them both!! I can't believe Detroit even made the list, but there it is, although it's at #100 and has the highest unemployment rank, which is not a surprise. But look at Phoenix with only 7th in unemployment, but sitting at only #86 for best job city. So, I'd guess it's projected to decline in jobs. Las Vegas is at #76 for worst unemployment and only made #98 out of 100 for job growth.

It ain't just us anymore!!!

Table: Best Cities For Jobs In 2008 - Forbes.com

Last edited by northernguy1960; 01-13-2008 at 04:56 PM.. Reason: added a year and a few words to clarify what I meant

Old 01-13-2008, 07:05 PM

30,701 posts, read 79,356,279 times
Did Romney just now notice? Michigan has been in a one state recession for at least two years, maybe three. The rest of the country, especially politicians did not seem to notice.

Old 01-13-2008, 09:44 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,766,626 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Did Romney just now notice? Michigan has been in a one state recession for at least two years, maybe three. The rest of the country, especially politicians did not seem to notice.
Exactly. Bush has sat through three years of Michigan's suffering, and a bunch of meetings with Michigan company execs to try and get him to level the playing field with countries like China, and Bush did nothing. Why would Romney or any other Republican do things differently? And if the entire country goes into recession, all 50 states will be crying for help. Do people think Michigan will get reprieve then?

Romney is just buying votes. Sorry, my vote is not listed on Ebay.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:38 AM

12,082 posts, read 38,707,199 times
Romney is also the dweeb that thinks the answer is trying to rebuild the auto industry in Michigan. That boat sailed 15-20 years ago, time to scuttle it and find new industries to replace it. Michigans future is NOT going to be biased on its past. Sure, automotive is what built the wealth for much of the state, but that time has come and gone and because the big 3 sat on their collective fat, lazy butts, they are playing a catch-up game in an industry that is moving too fast right now. We have to find somebody who can look at what the state can be in the future and not hang onto the anchor that is dragging the state down. Who that is, or how to break the spiral? I truly wish I had the answers. Still a great state to raise a family in and still a great place to live, just certain areas are getting slammed right now financially.

Old 01-14-2008, 07:55 AM

83 posts, read 65,820 times
Maybe Romney is right because Michigan is worse than others.I mean afterall the housing here did not have a positive jump but negative while the rest had a positive and then fell back.Also the factor of US automakers going bankrupt.Even though Romney may be right he is still a liar and i see John McCain as the best out there although he is no saint either.All running candidates support the legalization of illegal immigrants and none of them are good.We have to do what we gotta do.Living in Michigan is not cheap taking into account the joblessness or low wages versus the outrageous high heating bills,its climate prone for 8 months of winter,property taxes and still no jobs to put food on the table.Why would i or anyone in their right mind continue to live here?The US companies have downsized or outsourced or whatever and now its our time to downsize,outsource whatever to have far more efficiency with our dollars.Another big issue is transportation as a normal person should drive 80-100 miles per day and anyway you slice it you will have to pay 400 bucks a month for fuel and thats just fuel.So i have decided that when i move to the south i get a scooter or something else that still is better.You see the cost of keeping a car running is high if you include fuel,insurance,registration and repairs not to mention that you will need to save up for the new one.It run about 7000 dollars a year and that`s what we make from these low wage jobs in a year.Then you bring the heating bills which can go if you were to feel warm inside at about 3500 dollars a year.Add taxes on top of it around 2500 and thats not guaranteed.The total is 13000 dollars without calculating the mortgage,food and let alone anything else.So i have started to think of how can i get rid of the mortgage although its like a rent but you are paying triple versus a normal rent which includes gas.You are paying for gas and taxes which sends it to triple the amount you pay if you rented.So you cant save and plus job factor to bring down the credit value.So the bank is a winner no matter what.To get rid of all this costs its important to do your research.So i have decided to buy some land and build the house with my own hands.This way there is no need for me to pay any mortgage,but just a little tax.Secondly i will grow my own food right in my backyard.Its not like i will save a lot on this one,but it is helpful and fun.Third,i will not have to think of going to gas stations often and make rich Cheney or the Arabs by getting a scooter or another more powerful bike with the ability to make it a tricycle so it carry three people to work.Fourth there wont be any heating bills amounting to 500-600 dollars per month anymore,but just water bills and electricity.By doing all this i figure to be much more indepedent and financially secure even in the biggest depression America might see.
Whatever i make from the job i will have down there will go in my pocket and my living expenses will be down significantly.You can`t sustain this living now with no job or a 8 dollar per hour job.Now all i need is get to know which area in the south is better for jobs and climate like.My mom told me that what if it becomes like Michigan down there too and i am like its better to do what i have set out because even if it is not permanent place with jobs,i will be not having high living expenses as here.You take out the mortage and the transportation and the enoumous high heating bill you save over 20k a year.I am doing this because you cant depend on the economy and jobs are so insecure and scarce.Also the goverment only gives you 26 weeks of unemployment benefits and then what?You know there is no Extended Benefits Program like there was back in 2001 and then it was better than now.With no goverment help whats one to do?Of course all this depends when i sell the house and at what price and the land price in the south.As for the transportation i need to research the area too because a scooter is not good for interstate at all.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: