Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-23-2015, 09:56 AM

16 posts, read 20,757 times

Advertisements

I wonder if anyone out there can relate their experience relocating to the Midwest from another region? I am particularly interested in transplants from the West or West Coast. I am also looking for positive experiences, as I have read plenty of negative ones on this forum. We are considering moving to the Midwest, possibly Michigan, and have spent most of our adult lives in New Mexico and California. Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-23-2015, 11:47 AM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,428 times
I'm not a transplant but if you can relate the negative you're concerned about maybe those who live here can shed some light on it and help that way. Why do you want to move from the NM and CA areas? Do you want to move to city or rural areas?

Old 03-23-2015, 02:28 PM

16 posts, read 20,757 times
I am not concerned about anything specifically. I think, generally, posters on forums like this one tend to be more motivated to write by negative experiences. That's just human nature, I guess. I'm looking for positive experiences, of any kind, as positive reinforcement for the tenuous decision I have already made.

Old 03-23-2015, 02:44 PM

1,142 posts, read 1,640,428 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisk5555 View Post
I am not concerned about anything specifically. I think, generally, posters on forums like this one tend to be more motivated to write by negative experiences. That's just human nature, I guess. I'm looking for positive experiences, of any kind, as positive reinforcement for the tenuous decision I have already made.
As long as you know Michigan is a lot colder than NM or CA then I think there is much here to enjoy. If you like (or at least don't mind) snow then the nature elements in the state are wonderful. We don't have the ocean, but we've got the Great Lakes. Michigan is a very beautiful state.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:00 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,595,025 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luzette View Post
As long as you know Michigan is a lot colder than NM or CA then I think there is much here to enjoy. If you like (or at least don't mind) snow then the nature elements in the state are wonderful. We don't have the ocean, but we've got the Great Lakes. Michigan is a very beautiful state.
^^^
Don't forget that the terrain is comparatively flat. There's a few hills here and there, but nothing comparable to out west. On the plus side it's a lot more green and forested in many areas.

Old 03-23-2015, 03:49 PM

301 posts, read 823,100 times
I've already commented on your other thread regarding this, but the one thing that always makes me laugh is how early I am to appts. since I moved here! We came from just south of Denver and the difference in traffic and travel time between what I experience here (Kalamazoo) and what it was like in Denver is unreal! I can be anywhere in the greater Kalamazoo area so quickly! And, yes, I know South Westnedge and West Main can be sloooow at times, and traffic can be very heavy, but it is so minute compared to Denver. Of course I realize that Denver is huge compared to Kalamazoo, but even their suburban areas are congested.

There were lots of stores and restaurants that I missed when we moved here, but you adjust and eventually find what you need. I was sure I wasn't going to make it without Nordstroms, Whole Foods, Trader Joes, or REI, to name a few, but we did. Sometimes that just means a trip to Grand Rapids, or even Ann Arbor, but it's doable.

I still miss the mountains, but love the hills in the northern part of the state & try to get up to the U.P. at least 3 times a year (We lived in Alaska a long time and the U.P. is my "Alaska Fix" lol!) When I miss the ocean I can head to the Great Lakes, especially Lake Superior.

The 4 seasons are very nice, the greenery is lush, and the winters can be a real @#$%& compared to a lot of places out West - and it seems to last much longer, too. You might want to keep that in mind when assessing your outside recreation interests and how they match-up with the weather here. If you love to golf, bike, or kayak you will less months to do it here than you would in California to be sure!

It is much more humid here that what you probably experienced in New Mexico - everything from towels to complexions take less time to dry out.

It was my experience that folks were more socially conservative than what I experienced out west - but others may have different experiences.

Hope this helps.

Old 03-23-2015, 07:29 PM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
A lot depends on where you move to. I moved from Phoenix to Grand Rapids in 2009 with my own reservations. There are the obvious things i'm sure you've considered like the length of winter. I think everyone has a somewhat skewed view of winter right now because the last two have been god awful. Outside of that I have found they weren't as bad as people complain about. Summers are obviously phenomenal. The outdoor options and just sheer natural beauty of Michigan I fell in love with. I also fell in love with Grand Rapids but that's for another thread.

A lot of it is about attitude and Outlook. I find that a lot of native Michiganders can have tunnel vision and have been convinced that things are worse than they are. They often talk about how bad the economy is and when pressed can never seem to name people they know that are on unemployment. They usually aren't even aware that a lot of the metros have unemployment rates at or below 4%. That explains a lot of the rhetoric.

It's not perfect, and it is definitely different from out west. In terms of amenities you'll find them comparable to any metro in NM in terms of shopping and culture. I wouldn't really try and compare anything to California for fear of backlash There are a lot of positive things happening in Michigan these days, from an economic outlook on the upswing, to cities and communities being reinvested in. If you focus on things like this you'll be fine! The hardest part really is from about the last couple weeks in December to the first couple weeks in March.

Old 03-25-2015, 05:14 PM

1,433 posts, read 2,981,334 times
I split time between AZ and MI. Best of both worlds. Way too cloudy and cold Nov - March. Leads to a sedentary lifestyle perfect for gaining weight. May through Oct are great. There's something to be said to waking up and enjoying the frequent sunshine out west ... puts an extra bounce in one's step and creates the environment for a more active, social lifestyle. Have met many many ex-Michigan people in AZ. Not ONE has considered moving back, at least those who grew up there.

I think you would enjoy Michigan initially but the luster might dull over time, especially if you've been out west all these years.

Old 03-26-2015, 10:45 PM

3,199 posts, read 7,823,988 times
I am from MI and back living here but lived in Southern CA for a few years. I am not familiar with cost of living in NM but in CA obviously it so much higher and you get less for the money in CA. Especially for people raising a family there are many cities in MI that are overall safe, family oriented, with good schools that are inexpensive to live in.
Like the other person stated in MI the traffic is way less. Also for the most part in MI people live near their work where in CA it is very common to travel quiet a long way.
I agree it is more humid here in MI and of course you know winters can be long and really vary a lot in terms of snow fall. I do think the seasons are nice and brings fun things like the fall and the cider mill or summers and going to the lake. Overall I think CA offers more to do. I also feel people are friendlier in CA. With those two issues it may be where I live in MI that make me feel that way and another area this may not be the case.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan