U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-09-2015, 06:59 PM

1 posts, read 1,656 times

Advertisements

I am considering moving into a cheap house in Flint and was wondering if it is one of the bad areas. I am a young female and a bit nervous about it. The house is on Alpha Way, near Stewart Avenue and Pierson Road. It is also near Riverside Park. Thanks for any advice.
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-10-2015, 08:00 AM

6,242 posts, read 12,355,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschne06 View Post
I am considering moving into a cheap house in Flint and was wondering if it is one of the bad areas. I am a young female and a bit nervous about it. The house is on Alpha Way, near Stewart Avenue and Pierson Road. It is also near Riverside Park. Thanks for any advice.
Not current info, but I lived not far from there as a child. It's been a few years, but according to my last conversation with our old neighbors, that area is controlled by the Spanish Cobras. Whenever I visit the old neighborhood, it's "rollie-lockie" (roll up the windows, lock the doors) & daytime only. You're probably fine if you don't buy/sell illicit substances or hang out late at night (the neighbor & her now-adult children haven't moved & in fact have bought several other homes in the area). I understand finances sometimes force your hand, so if you do decide to buy there, cut a deal that allows you to walk away without worrying about your "investment".

Just for a frame of reference, the home my parents sold in 1977 for $17,000 recently (2012 or 2013) sold for $12,000 (fully updated, with a new roof, windows & kitchen).

Old 04-10-2015, 09:02 AM

3,832 posts, read 5,670,687 times
My mom works with some people who live there. I sent her a text to call me (she's at work). I'll let you know what she says.

From an outsider's perspective, the neighborhood is in better shape than most. I just drove down Branch this week. Especially when compared to what you get on the other side of Riverside Park.

Will you be living alone?

Old 04-10-2015, 12:58 PM

3,832 posts, read 5,670,687 times
OK. Spoke with my mom. Don't move there. A person she went to high school lived on Western near Johnson school about two years ago. She moved after 6 months because in that time period, three molotov cocktails were thrown through her living room window. And I'm talking about a mid/late 50 year old white woman who kept to herself.

Do you need help finding somewhere to live? If so.... What type of price range do you have? How many people will live with you? Do you have a car?

Old 04-10-2015, 04:43 PM

4,121 posts, read 8,080,337 times
I wouldn't live in that area if you gave me a million dollars.

Old 04-11-2015, 01:09 PM

2,097 posts, read 2,196,895 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zippyman View Post
Not current info, but I lived not far from there as a child. It's been a few years, but according to my last conversation with our old neighbors, that area is controlled by the Spanish Cobras. Whenever I visit the old neighborhood, it's "rollie-lockie" (roll up the windows, lock the doors) & daytime only. You're probably fine if you don't buy/sell illicit substances or hang out late at night (the neighbor & her now-adult children haven't moved & in fact have bought several other homes in the area). I understand finances sometimes force your hand, so if you do decide to buy there, cut a deal that allows you to walk away without worrying about your "investment".

Just for a frame of reference, the home my parents sold in 1977 for $17,000 recently (2012 or 2013) sold for $12,000 (fully updated, with a new roof, windows & kitchen).
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynarie View Post
OK. Spoke with my mom. Don't move there. A person she went to high school lived on Western near Johnson school about two years ago. She moved after 6 months because in that time period, three molotov cocktails were thrown through her living room window. And I'm talking about a mid/late 50 year old white woman who kept to herself.
Flint sure seems a nice, friendly, welcoming city.

Old 04-13-2015, 11:45 AM
chh

420 posts, read 539,169 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by drro View Post
Flint sure seems a nice, friendly, welcoming city.
Nothing more welcoming than having molotov cocktails thrown through your windows!

Old 04-13-2015, 12:16 PM

1,455 posts, read 2,470,062 times
Quote:
I am considering moving into a cheap house in Flint
Are you crazy?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7cfgpB3653g

Old 04-13-2015, 06:13 PM

70 posts, read 117,557 times
See if you can find anything affordable in Flint Twp (Maybe along Corunna Rd near 75) or something in Mt Morris Twp along Coldwater. Heck, I'd be looking at trailer parks in the area Townships before I'd look along Pierson or Stewart... At least until it cleans up. But that might not be for decades.

Old 06-03-2015, 07:33 AM

12,587 posts, read 14,597,619 times
Quote:
You're gunna die.

There is a reason why it's cheap.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of:
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or