Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2006, 12:56 PM

1,258 posts, read 2,311,594 times

Advertisements

Ok, everybody please keep your fingers crossed and say your prayers for me...I may have a chance to move back to MI, w/my job very soon! Nothing is for sure yet, I hate to jump the gun, but if it does happen I need to be ready to move pretty quickly, so I'm what you would say getting prepared either for the greatest opportunity ever or the biggest disappointment ever!

If this happens I can basically live anywhere in the state, within reason. Yeah the obvious choice would be Traverse City, the U.P., etc., but I probably need to stay at least somewhat close to the one of the bigger cities, and probably from say about Bay City & Muskegon the furthest north I could go. I grew up in MI, so I have some fairly good ideas of where we want to go, so I'm just throwing this out here to see what other people have to suggest.
I love Detroit, I really like the Eastern side of MI, w/the nitty gritty factory towns, BUT reality, w/a family I'm not going to live somewhere w/bad crime or horrible schools.

Here are some of the areas I'm considering, in no order:
1.Lansing area(including: East Lansing, Okemos, Haslett, DeWitt, Grand Ledge, Olivet, Fowler, Potterville, Maple Valley/Vermontville)
2.Brighton
3.Flint(Kearsely area, Frankenmuth, or Birch Run)
4.Saginaw(try to stay West, Heritage schools, township area)
5.Bay City
6.Midland
7.Portage(by Kalamazoo)
8.Battle Creek(including Marshall, Hastings)
9.Detroit area(Wyandotte, Royal Oak, Berkley, Sterling Heights, Clinton Township, Troy, Farmington Hills)
10.Ann Arbor
11.Grand Rapids area(Jenison, Kentwood, East Grand Rapids, Rockford, Lowell, Holland, Muskegon, Grand Haven)

I know I know, that's pretty much most of the state, Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor kinda just threw in there, not really high on the list.
Some things we're looking for, good public schools, low crime, low housing cost(about low 200's is our max), of course would like some property if possible, hate sprawly suburbs, like places that are original not full of corporate super garbage, somewhere a little more liberal not real bible thumping neo-conservative type people, love the outdoors hunting/fishing snow...Also our kids are into sports, so would prefer area w/solid sports programs at the youth level through high school.
Willing to give and take w/these things, not all written in stone, just kinda some wants to help narrow things down.

I'm familiar w/a lot of these areas, not necessarily to the point of what it is like living there, but mainly just looking to hear what some opinions are.

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by GAisGreat; 11-10-2006 at 01:24 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2006, 03:06 PM

4,494 posts, read 7,480,739 times
Have you thought about the Thumb area in general?

There are good schools and plenty of homes to choose from with acreage. The area in general is more on the bible-thumpin' side though.

Marlette
Port Austin
North Branch
Lapeer
Imlay City
Caro
Bad Axe
Sandusky
Lum
Dryden
Metamora
Capac
Yale
Columbiaville
Millington
Vassar
Attica

to name a few....

Old 11-10-2006, 03:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Grass Fever View Post
Have you thought about the Thumb area in general?

There are good schools and plenty of homes to choose from with acreage. The area in general is more on the bible-thumpin' side though.

Marlette
Port Austin
North Branch
Lapeer
Imlay City
Caro
Bad Axe
Sandusky
Lum
Dryden
Metamora
Capac
Yale
Columbiaville
Millington
Vassar
Attica

to name a few....
I thought about it, but that may be a little too far out.

Old 11-10-2006, 10:42 PM

622 posts, read 2,709,280 times
You know my heart belongs to northern Michigan! But, my pick out of your choices would be:

1) Berkley. Hands down best area around Detroit IMO. My favorite place is Ferndale, but if I had kids, it would be Berkley. Near enough to Royal Oak for interesting restaurants, art, culture, but Berkley is cheaper and more residential/family oriented. Plus still close enough to Detroit for a halfway decent commute.

2) Brighton. Though I've never been to Brighton, I hear its nice. From the impressions I've gotten about the place, I've always wanted to check it out. The reason why I picked it is because it is near a lot more nature than other places around SE MI.

3) Ann Arbor. I know you said this one wasn't really on top of your list, but it's one of the few places I would live in lower MI, for obvious reasons which I'm sure you've heard before. Although I think it's overhyped a bit.

I'm not really familiar with western lower MI, thumb area, or Lansing area (Yooper here). But as far as Detroit suburbs go, I would definitely pick Berkley, Royal Oak, and Wyandotte over the others. Also would throw in Ferndale (it's such a cool place!). Why? Those places have much more character than the others you mentioned (I'm familiar with your posts, and I know how much you hate urban sprawl).

Hope this helps. Good luck! *crossing my fingers*

Old 11-12-2006, 04:04 AM

153 posts, read 711,285 times
1) Okemos - I really enjoyed living there for the short time I did! It was a wonderful little town with easy access to East Lansing, and far enough away from Lansing proper that the social decay didn't reach it.

All in all I thought it was very pretty, the people were nice, and It's right on the freeway for easy access to elsewhere (Lansing Metro especially since it's dead center of the LP).

Old 11-12-2006, 09:21 AM

mariatherese, thanks so much for the feedback and good luck wishes...;-)
I think Berkely definately looks like the top for the Detroit area, I've heard the same things you've said several times. Also Brighton is up there on the list for that area, although it kinda worries me it may become a sprawly-burb. I must admit though, Detroit is dropping on the list, as much as I love urban environment and the quaint little bungalow neighborhood type areas like Berkley, Royal Oak, Wyandotte, Ferndale, etc., my wife isn't quite as keen on it, especially with kids and the need for lots of room and yard.
Looked at Ann Arbor but housing seems pretty high there, especially in the city...
My wife is leaning more and more towards Grand Rapids area, and Midland area. Also Bay City, but the more we're looking at that, the schools don't seem to be very good.

politikally, you are right about Okemos. Also East Lansing vs. Okemos, you seem to be able to get into one of the better neighborhoods in Okemos easier than E.L. and don't have as much of a 'trashy', 'troublemaker' element in Okemos as you have in E.L. I have to admit though, I'm shocked how high housing has gotten in the Lansing metro. Some of the smaller country towns were quite expensive. So if we decide Lansing area, I think Okemos and DeWitt are probably tops for areas close to the city.

Thanks for the input <still praying this happens ;-}

Old 11-14-2006, 12:44 PM

5 posts, read 28,565 times
Default Mi

Quote:
Originally Posted by InGA View Post
Ok, everybody please keep your fingers crossed and say your prayers for me...I may have a chance to move back to MI, w/my job very soon! Nothing is for sure yet, I hate to jump the gun, but if it does happen I need to be ready to move pretty quickly, so I'm what you would say getting prepared either for the greatest opportunity ever or the biggest disappointment ever!

If this happens I can basically live anywhere in the state, within reason. Yeah the obvious choice would be Traverse City, the U.P., etc., but I probably need to stay at least somewhat close to the one of the bigger cities, and probably from say about Bay City & Muskegon the furthest north I could go. I grew up in MI, so I have some fairly good ideas of where we want to go, so I'm just throwing this out here to see what other people have to suggest.
I love Detroit, I really like the Eastern side of MI, w/the nitty gritty factory towns, BUT reality, w/a family I'm not going to live somewhere w/bad crime or horrible schools.

Here are some of the areas I'm considering, in no order:
1.Lansing area(including: East Lansing, Okemos, Haslett, DeWitt, Grand Ledge, Olivet, Fowler, Potterville, Maple Valley/Vermontville)
2.Brighton
3.Flint(Kearsely area, Frankenmuth, or Birch Run)
4.Saginaw(try to stay West, Heritage schools, township area)
5.Bay City
6.Midland
7.Portage(by Kalamazoo)
8.Battle Creek(including Marshall, Hastings)
9.Detroit area(Wyandotte, Royal Oak, Berkley, Sterling Heights, Clinton Township, Troy, Farmington Hills)
10.Ann Arbor
11.Grand Rapids area(Jenison, Kentwood, East Grand Rapids, Rockford, Lowell, Holland, Muskegon, Grand Haven)

I know I know, that's pretty much most of the state, Grand Rapids and Ann Arbor kinda just threw in there, not really high on the list.
Some things we're looking for, good public schools, low crime, low housing cost(about low 200's is our max), of course would like some property if possible, hate sprawly suburbs, like places that are original not full of corporate super garbage, somewhere a little more liberal not real bible thumping neo-conservative type people, love the outdoors hunting/fishing snow...Also our kids are into sports, so would prefer area w/solid sports programs at the youth level through high school.
Willing to give and take w/these things, not all written in stone, just kinda some wants to help narrow things down.

I'm familiar w/a lot of these areas, not necessarily to the point of what it is like living there, but mainly just looking to hear what some opinions are.

Thanks in advance!
My wife and I moved from Ypsilanti to Tecumseh five years ago and it seems like it would meet your needs. It is in the middle of bigger cities: A2 and Toledo, an hour from Detroit and has a definite small town/family charm. It is considered semi rural: quaint downtown area, typical looking neighborhoods near town. Also, open land, trails. Very clean, very peaceful. Little crime. We have no children but I understand that the schools are top notch. It seems all the kids are scholar/athletes. It took a bit of getting used to for me as I was raised in Dbn Hgts and lived in Ypsi for awhile so the move was a good one but a bit of getting used to: open area, slower pace.. The people are the nicest you will find anywhere. I hope this helps.

Old 11-15-2006, 08:39 PM

13 posts, read 82,649 times
You listed that you do not want to live in corporate infested, sprawling suburbs, yet, that is what nearly all suburbs are. From my own personal experience, I lived in Portage for a year and it is a very clean city with many parks and bike paths. It has a reputable school district, and is halfway between Chicago and Detroit for quick getaways. It also is within arms reach of plenty of stores and strip malls, yet easy to navigate back to your neighborhood. Kalamazoo may also be an option if you are interested in having your kids qualify for the Kalamazoo Promise.

Old 11-16-2006, 10:31 AM

810 posts, read 3,306,063 times
I live in Ada (49301 zip code), a quiet community outside of Grand Rapids. Our kids attend Forest Hills PS, a great school district with strong PTO's and great teachers. Taxes here are very reasonable.

Where we live in Ada has plenty of pedestrian trails for walking, biking, rollerblading, etc. There's housing boom in the Ada area because of the good schools, it's a controlled growth. Lots of green spaces with mature trees. Lots of wildlife here (mostly deer and turkey, sometimes we see bald eagles).

We love the location, only 5 miles from the airport (15 minute drive) and about a 15-20 minute drive to downtown GR. Close enough to the stores on 28th street but away from all the traffic.

If you want to be more rural than Ada but close to GR, check out Lowell and Caledonia.

Good luck!

Old 11-16-2006, 05:47 PM

106 posts, read 573,204 times
Default Where to live

I am sorry you are moving back to this miserable state.
Until we get rid of the union/factory rat mentality Michigan will never be able to be competitive with the rest of the country.

That being said I highly suggest Grand Rapids as your place to live.
The Devos (Amway) family has poured a ton of money into the city and high tech industries, which has been an economic boom for that region.

Grand Rapids is very family friendly and a awesome place to raise kids.

Stay away from Detroit and the surrouding inner rings cities. (Southfield Hazel Park, Romulus, Taylor etc) They are dying communities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan