Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 04:50 PM

8,574 posts, read 12,395,872 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAZORAC View Post
Guess what...Cougars aren't black, only Leopards and Jaguars. So thats not possible.
When it comes to wildlife, nearly anything is possible. Since there have been no known dark or "black" Cougars, it's very unlikely he saw a Cougar...however, there were numerous sightings in Michigan of "black panthers" several years ago. Whatever species it was, chances are it was an escaped or released pet, but even that is not 100% certain. Many of these species can travel great distances, so one should not say that something is never possible. Heck, we had a Cougar in Michigan which had traveled from South Dakota through Minnesota and Wisconsin. That's quite a distance for a Cougar, but his travels were not finished: the Cougar met its demise along a highway in Connecticut.

Mountain lion killed in Conn. had walked from S. Dakota
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 07:17 AM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
Guess what...Cougars aren't black, only Leopards and Jaguars. So thats not possible.

Ok, so it was a Black Panther, which is what I said if you'll look again at my post.

My point still being it was a cougar-size cat, and in mid-Michigan where the DNR claims they don't exist.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:52 PM

21,088 posts, read 29,206,191 times
They say a few have strayed from Brighton bars into the Milford area. Oh wait, that is a PANTHER that has been sighted in Milford, the bars appear to be clear.

Old 07-08-2015, 04:13 PM

12 posts, read 18,709 times
I have family and friends with first hand accounts of seeing cougars in Benzie, Wexford, and Grand Traverse counties from as recent as last fall to as far back as the 1950s. These accounts are from outdoorsmen, hunters, and farmers. Farmers with tell tale injuries to livestock, and hunters with trail cam pictures. If you tell a DNR official about these accounts, you may just as well be speaking about space aliens. You are treated as an imbecile who has mistaken a stray cat or a deer for these "extinct" wild cats. If you hand over pictures, you'll never see them again. I'm not sure what the conspiracy to deny the existence of cougars is all about, but I know they are out there and have been for a very long time.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:39 PM

844 posts, read 1,441,229 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmichigan View Post
When it comes to wildlife, nearly anything is possible. Since there have been no known dark or "black" Cougars, it's very unlikely he saw a Cougar...however, there were numerous sightings in Michigan of "black panthers" several years ago. Whatever species it was, chances are it was an escaped or released pet, but even that is not 100% certain. Many of these species can travel great distances, so one should not say that something is never possible. Heck, we had a Cougar in Michigan which had traveled from South Dakota through Minnesota and Wisconsin. That's quite a distance for a Cougar, but his travels were not finished: the Cougar met its demise along a highway in Connecticut.

Mountain lion killed in Conn. had walked from S. Dakota
No, anythings not possible, Cougars are never black and the black panther thing is a fairy tale, just like Lochness Monster or Big Foot.

Old 07-25-2015, 04:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Ok, so it was a Black Panther, which is what I said if you'll look again at my post.

My point still being it was a cougar-size cat, and in mid-Michigan where the DNR claims they don't exist.
Guess what Mike....Leopards don't live in Michigan. Couldn't survive.

Old 07-25-2015, 05:50 PM

302 posts, read 768,936 times
Quote:
Leopards don't live naturally in Michigan, but it's incorrect to say they couldn't survive here. Some Leopards are native to Siberia, so it wouldn't be too cold in Michigan for them, and there is plenty of deer for them to prey on. It would be possible (of course, not legally or morally possible) for somebody to release an exotic pet leopard and for it to survive here for a long time, providing it didn't have any run ins with people.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManoftheNorth View Post
Leopards don't live naturally in Michigan, but it's incorrect to say they couldn't survive here. Some Leopards are native to Siberia, so it wouldn't be too cold in Michigan for them, and there is plenty of deer for them to prey on. It would be possible (of course, not legally or morally possible) for somebody to release an exotic pet leopard and for it to survive here for a long time, providing it didn't have any run ins with people.
It's a possibility that somebody could release an exotic pet, but this panther myth has been around for about a decade now. As if its several loose Loepards, which is simply not true. It's like big foot, people act as if 1 animal of a specie just lives on forever, without ever dying, mating or eating.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:44 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,211,900 times
There is a pretty big trade in exotic animals out there with all sorts of people owning and keeping things like lions in tool sheds. (Cruel really). Your rural neighbors probably have all sorts of things you are unaware off. I once talked to a a Dept of Ag guy (there is like one for the whole state) who said he knew of a woman with a bunch of orangutans in her garage. Every so often you hear about someone getting their arm bitten off. Or the guy in Ohio
Zanesville Animal Massacre Included 18 Rare Bengal Tigers - ABC News
His wife was still trying to get animals back to her ownership last I heard. Personally I think its a mental illness and should be illegal.
Birders often report non native quail etc. that have escaped from those shoot in a barrel "hunting" ranches. Same with wild boar, oh thanks a lot for loosing that disaster on agriculture.
My point being that you can see anything out there. Its not wild though, its escaped.

As for telling the DNR. They were pretty open with the trail cam video they got of the mountain lion in the UP. Of course then some mouth breathers promptly rushed up to shoot it.
So I wouldn't tell the DNR, not because they would keep it secret in some conspiracy but because they would do the exact opposite and publish it, there by ensuring its death.
Cougar killing: DNR investigator says Bay City man ate feline's heart after killing it | MLive.com

Old 07-27-2015, 02:51 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,012,094 times
Quote:
I have no idea how long it lived after I saw it. However, I DID see a black panther, clearly, and very up-close.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan