Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 09:17 AM

447 posts, read 495,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLake View Post
I agree that Michigan should be at or near the top. It's an accurate accounting but my only quibble is how did Ohio come in so high?
I have relatives that live in Dayton, Ohio and that city and area has really gotten a bum rap. Cincinnati is beautiful city with it's mid-nineteenth century architecture, river bridges and hills. The region is much nicer than the media makes it out to be........though it does not even come close to the beauty of Michigan, nor are their best cities as lively as Michigan's vibrant cities, but it is still a lot nicer than many other states that I have lived or visited.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2015, 09:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VM1138 View Post
Who's bitter? I was just stating that out of 50 states it's strange that Michigan gets ranked first when in actual measurable categories we're nowhere near first. Usually we're bringing up the rear. It's not about the cities, either. Racial attitudes in rural areas, economic deterioration, etc. are all issues of small town Michigan. According to most people's tastes, the weather sucks more than half the year, we don't get much sunlight compared to other states, almost ever state has three or four cool cities, etc. And I'm certainly not ignoring the positives. I mentioned beautiful scenery.

Let's not bury our head in the sands because some random website ranked us first on no actual measurable methodology.
Say the weather sucks most of the year shows a negative attitude towards the state. Spring,summer and fall in Michigan are wonderful by all measures. Winter may not be for everyone, but many of us like it too as we see yet another season that offers different ways to play as well as all new beauty.

I listen to people complain about winter and how they are going to retire and move to Arizona so they can play golf year round. I lived in Arizona and I can tell you that you have 3 beautiful months of weather and then you spend the rest of the year cooped up wherever there is air conditioning. I am an avid bike rider and in Michigan you can always dress for the weather and be able to go out and enjoy the variety of beauty this state has, but until they come out with an air conditioned suit, you cannot do that in Arizona.

Old 06-30-2015, 09:40 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by westernwilly View Post
No need to tell most posters here, but Michigan is the best state.........according to Thrillist.
We're No. 1! Thrillist ranks Michigan as best state in the U.S. | MLive.com

Here is the complete list:
Ranking The United States of America From Best to Worst

That list is great. The descriptions that they give for every state are hilariously spot-on.

Old 06-30-2015, 10:00 AM

Most polls that are done by organizations like Gallop in order to measure how happy or the health Michigan's people, have numbers that are skewed by Detroit and it's sheer size. The same is true with the statistics such as education level, unemployment, health, weight and activity levels......ect. But when they break the state down into individual cities and regions, where Detroit's numbers cannot over power the other numbers, then a different picture is painted.

Gallop conducted a poll to find what cities from best to worst, had the most satisfied residents. Michigan has 4 cities in the top 50. Few states come close to matching that mark and many do not even have a single city in the top 50.

#3. Holland-Grand Haven
#19. Kalamazoo
#35. Ann Arbor
#45. Grand Rapids

Here is the link with the full list:
City Satisfaction Highest in Fort Collins-Loveland, Colo.

Note: Detroit is # 176 and Flint is #186 (though not last in the country). If they just did the typical method of adding all of the city's stats together and presented as a whole for the state then Detroit's negative view from it's population along with it's sheer size, would have once again skewed the view of how the rest of Michigan really is.

Old 06-30-2015, 11:10 AM

485 posts, read 966,286 times
Quote:
Say the weather sucks most of the year shows a negative attitude towards the state. Spring,summer and fall in Michigan are wonderful by all measures. Winter may not be for everyone, but many of us like it too as we see yet another season that offers different ways to play as well as all new beauty.

I listen to people complain about winter and how they are going to retire and move to Arizona so they can play golf year round. I lived in Arizona and I can tell you that you have 3 beautiful months of weather and then you spend the rest of the year cooped up wherever there is air conditioning. I am an avid bike rider and in Michigan you can always dress for the weather and be able to go out and enjoy the variety of beauty this state has, but until they come out with an air conditioned suit, you cannot do that in Arizona.
Throw out November (unless you are a hunter), February and March and Michigan is premium for sure. I need to get into downhill skiing and I might even enjoy February and March. And, ask the Western states, never take the water for granted!

Old 06-30-2015, 10:20 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,886,018 times
Quote:
I always wander where do the people live that are on this board but have negative comments about Michigan or it's cities. I know there are some very miserable cities in this state, but most are good and some very good and are finally getting national attention......ie Ann Arbor, Traverse City, Grand Rapids and Kalamazoo.
It is a sad case when that national attention is pointed out on this site and some people either bitterly tries to rebuke it or they ignore the post all together in hopes that anything positive will just go away so they can get back to complaining.

If you do not like you city, then help change it or move. If you do not like this state, then please leave, because we do not need you!
Repped. So tired of hearing people bi*ching and moaning and never doing anything about it. Then if and when they finally do move, at least half end up moving right back lol. I agree with the list, it's not for everybody, but it's great when you enjoy it for what it is.

Old 07-03-2015, 06:37 PM

4,278 posts, read 5,935,039 times
I just wonder how they missed the horrible roads and evisceration of public education. The positive features the article did mention are accurate but they certainly missed two challenging negatives.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:04 AM

156 posts, read 162,930 times
LMAO, Really? For what unemployment, cold weather, short summers, poverty?

Old 07-04-2015, 10:34 AM

43 posts, read 42,574 times
I am laughing because Florida is dead last! I hated living in Florida and am fine with living in Michigan.

Old 07-06-2015, 02:41 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-Roger View Post
I just wonder how they missed the horrible roads and evisceration of public education. The positive features the article did mention are accurate but they certainly missed two challenging negatives.
LOL, Thrillist is not a site people go to to read about education and potholes. Every newspaper out there gives plenty of coverage if you want to read about that stuff. Crime too, if that's your cup of tea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan