U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-21-2015, 11:07 PM

2 posts, read 1,859 times

Advertisements

Hello, I need some help please!

I was previously out of work during the middle of the 2013-2014 school year because my school lost its charter and closed prior to completing the entire school year. I collected unemployment for 20 weeks. I registered with Michigan works as stated online and uploaded a resume. I am now currently a Headstart Teacher in the Metro Detroit area. I started my position after the deadline of having my pay spread over the summer months as an option. The HR department told me that I would still qualified for unemployment during this years summer months. So I did as I had done just a year ago and applied online for my unemployment on Monday June 22nd because my last day of work was June 19th. On June 24th I received my monetary determination letter via email that I was approved for the max weekly amount for 20 weeks and that I was to certify every 2 weeks starting July 8th between the hours of 9:00am-10:00EST. On July 8th I certified online at 9:00am EST and on the evening of July 9th I received another letter via email that stated that due to me not registering with Michigan works that my 1st 2 weeks that I certified were determined as Ineligible Weeks. I then called the Unemployment office to get more clarity concerning this situation. I was told that the policy had changed and I had to physically go into the Michigan Works office to register they were not accepting online anymore. At that time the office was closed so I went 1st thing the next day. I was also told that I could protest the decision and the computer looks for certain things to make the determination not an actual person. So I protested Friday evening explaining basically like I am doing now and still wasn't approved for those weeks. I called back and was told to protest again and watch my verbiage when doing so this time. I'm writing to ask for help. Can anyone help me with suggestions of how to write this protest?
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2015, 07:15 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,847,725 times
Spend less time protesting and more time looking for a job then you won't need unemployment.

Stop being a victim and take charge of your life/career.

Good luck interviewing!

Old 07-22-2015, 08:07 AM

1,856 posts, read 3,190,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltasha78 View Post
Hello, I need some help please!

I was previously out of work during the middle of the 2013-2014 school year because my school lost its charter and closed prior to completing the entire school year. I collected unemployment for 20 weeks. I registered with Michigan works as stated online and uploaded a resume. I am now currently a Headstart Teacher in the Metro Detroit area. I started my position after the deadline of having my pay spread over the summer months as an option. The HR department told me that I would still qualified for unemployment during this years summer months. So I did as I had done just a year ago and applied online for my unemployment on Monday June 22nd because my last day of work was June 19th. On June 24th I received my monetary determination letter via email that I was approved for the max weekly amount for 20 weeks and that I was to certify every 2 weeks starting July 8th between the hours of 9:00am-10:00EST. On July 8th I certified online at 9:00am EST and on the evening of July 9th I received another letter via email that stated that due to me not registering with Michigan works that my 1st 2 weeks that I certified were determined as Ineligible Weeks. I then called the Unemployment office to get more clarity concerning this situation. I was told that the policy had changed and I had to physically go into the Michigan Works office to register they were not accepting online anymore. At that time the office was closed so I went 1st thing the next day. I was also told that I could protest the decision and the computer looks for certain things to make the determination not an actual person. So I protested Friday evening explaining basically like I am doing now and still wasn't approved for those weeks. I called back and was told to protest again and watch my verbiage when doing so this time. I'm writing to ask for help. Can anyone help me with suggestions of how to write this protest?
Those are certainly stall tactics to keep you from getting your unemployment. Maybe prolonging it hoping you would get frustrated and give up. You can go after it but you can focus this energy on finding another job. Many blessings on finding a new job because you will go crazy trying to get unemployment in the state of michigan.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:42 AM

199 posts, read 216,890 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post
Spend less time protesting and more time looking for a job then you won't need unemployment.

Good luck interviewing!
You did read the original post carefully enough to note that the OP does have a job as a teacher but because she is not paid for the summer months (i.e., temporarily considered laid off), she is entitled to collect unemployment for that period, and presumably will start work again in the fall when classes resume, yes?

I'm sure you did, otherwise you would not have made that snarky, judgmental, and insulting post.

Old 07-22-2015, 08:47 AM

195 posts, read 220,995 times
Something somewhat similar happened to me. I got laid off at the end of the school year (my school didn't have a 12-month pay scale) and I filed for unemployment. I collected unemployment for less than six week because I found a new job and offered to teach summer school. This was in a different state, so unfortunately I can't help with the specifics of the letter, but I was allowed to do a verbal protest by calling in and giving a formal statement to a caseworker. They then reviewed my case and I was deemed to have been lawfully collecting unemployment, which ended the whole debacle. All I did in my verbal statement was clearly state my reasoning and include the dates when all of these things occurred. Also, I got my former employer (the one who laid me off) to speak on my behalf. Perhaps your old employer would be willing to give a statement? Also, since you are working for Head Start make sure to mention "furlough" because that is technically what you are on. Head Start doesn't "lay-off" people during the summer and some states are prickly about HS employees collecting because you are still collecting benefits. I believe a bunch of HS teachers from another state (maybe Indiana) got sued for collecting. Just a thought. Good luck with everything!

Old 07-22-2015, 10:34 AM

2 posts, read 1,859 times
You didn't read my post, I don't need a job I have a job, I return the end of August. I am teacher with Summer months off. I am just protesting money that I am due during this time.

Old 07-22-2015, 10:41 AM

1,856 posts, read 3,190,070 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltasha78 View Post
You didn't read my post, I don't need a job I have a job, I return the end of August. I am teacher with Summer months off. I am just protesting money that I am due during this time.
sorry i didn't read your post thoroughly

Old 07-22-2015, 02:25 PM

3,671 posts, read 4,982,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by belleislerunner View Post

Good luck interviewing!
That was unnecessarily rude. Good paying jobs doesn't come overnight even if you search all day every day for them. And if you read the post the OP does have a teacher job but is not working for the summer.

OP. I had to go to Michigan Works and actually talk with a unemployment representative to get my stuff straightened out. It takes hours for them to get to you so be prepared.

Old 07-23-2015, 07:26 AM

1,648 posts, read 2,847,725 times
It wasn't meant to be rude - it was meant to be empowering.

Someone wants to sit on their butt and do nothing all summer and collect unemployment? As a taxpayer, I find that repulsive.

Old 07-24-2015, 08:55 AM

3,409 posts, read 4,434,711 times
As the spouse of a Michigan educator, I can assure you that Teachers are not eligible for summer unemployment payments.

All school districts issue their staff members one of two letters at the end of each academic year. One states that the employee is laid off effective with the start of the next academic year, meaning they can file for unemployment in September. The most common letter is a notice of intent to retain the employee for the next academic year. Regardless which letter a school employee receives, they are ineligible for unemployment during the summer months. The one exception would be for Teachers or other school employees who were laid off mid-year. Since the OP stated they know their job will be restarting in September, they obviously received the Notice of Intent letter.

To assist with summer time cash-flow, many school districts allow their staff to elect to receive their yearly salary (and even estimated hourly pay in the case of hourly rate employees) in 12 monthly/24 semi-monthly/26 biweekly paychecks as opposed to receiving their pay during the 10 month academic year only.

NOTE: Electing to receive pay for the 12 calendar months rather than the 10 academic months is not an increase in pay. The employees are simply relieved of some self-budgeting responsibilities with this 12 month choice.

You received your full year's salary during the slightly compressed academic calendar year. When you learned you could not elect 12-month payment plan you should have either: a) budgeted for the summer months or, b) planned for summer employment. Collecting unemployment for a Teacher's summer hiatus is fraud under Michigan law.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan