Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-26-2015, 09:46 AM

1,316 posts, read 748,061 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mostie View Post
Marquette gets a bit colder during the winter than Iron Mountain does, being right on Superior and all- we were there on the 4th of July, and I had to have a sweat jacket on, it was quite chilly- I think Iron Mountain would work well for your family, considering what it is that you are looking for- Marquette is awesome, but Iron Mountain has more of the outdoors/fishing/chopping wood/4-wheeling that you are looking for. And the people here are absolutely wonderful. Have to tell you though, we had loads of wayyyy below zero temps last winter- I work with someone who is originally from Alaska, and she told me that there are a lot of times that it's colder here than it was there- jussst saying! lol-
Actually, it gets colder inland, at least until the lake freezes over. Iron Mtn will often be hotter in the summer, colder in the winter. The lake acts as a moderating factor, temp wise.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2015, 02:50 PM
chh

420 posts, read 653,074 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
Too bad either it is so far from any military base. Not that bases provide a great deal the way they used to but commissary, gym, kids programs etc. I think if I had a family I'd be trying to find a place near a base. At least a couple of hours.
Marquette is about 10 miles from K.I. Sawyer air base

Old 07-26-2015, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chh View Post
Marquette is about 10 miles from K.I. Sawyer air base
Which is no longer an active base. Our regional airport is now there. It bears mentioning that while housing is cheap out in Sawyer, there have been issues. There have been issues of true slum lords and some crime. I do know some people that live out there, and they haven't had any problems and are very happy. But Sawyer struggles.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:07 AM

11 posts, read 24,454 times
We haven't decided yet. Being near a base isn't a huge factor as the government is diminishing so many of our benefits and changing the way the military has been for years and years. We just don't want to choose MQT, and then get there and realize that there is no one like us up there, and people are more hostile toward conservatives. In that way, Iron Mtn. looks better. But we like the way the economy looks in MQT for jobs and growth. It's very hard to decide! We also want acreage and know that there will be a lot of energy spent keeping the snow at bay. Anyone here live out in the country up there and want to speak to this? And are the roads bad in winter if you don't live IN Marquette or on a state/county road??

Old 07-30-2015, 08:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oliveplantmom View Post
We haven't decided yet. Being near a base isn't a huge factor as the government is diminishing so many of our benefits and changing the way the military has been for years and years. We just don't want to choose MQT, and then get there and realize that there is no one like us up there, and people are more hostile toward conservatives. In that way, Iron Mtn. looks better. But we like the way the economy looks in MQT for jobs and growth. It's very hard to decide! We also want acreage and know that there will be a lot of energy spent keeping the snow at bay. Anyone here live out in the country up there and want to speak to this? And are the roads bad in winter if you don't live IN Marquette or on a state/county road??
One thing I'd say is that people aren't hostile in Marquette toward anyone, really. Well, in March everyone gets hostile to everyone else if it keeps snowing. But if that general acceptance of unique lifestyles--including homeschooling, LGBTQ rights, free-range parenting, and on & on--is not a positive, then you may have a problem. But if a pretty mellow live & let live vibe is a positive, plus resources for just about any religious group you can imagine, then Marquette is great. We have a community where the greatest divides are often on environmental issues, actually. But you will have people protesting a mining operation who understand the economic needs those mines satisfy. The other issue you may run into is if you have a hard time tolerating those who have alternative lifestyles. We don't much like to have hostility toward anyone. We are used to dealing with complex issues on a very human level. Now, to be clear, I am a flaming liberal, so that is my perspective, and it may be biased. Oh, we do have a LOT of what I call the "granola set." Organic food, riding bikes to work all year long (winter biking is HUGE here), lots of dreadlocks & Birkenstocks. But, it's not a bad thing really. Unless you get behind one of those bikes going uphill. Good thing my commute is only 5 minutes!

In a lot of ways, I find Marquette to be somewhat like an old-fashioned midwestern small town. My kids found a $20 bill outside a store and brought it in to the store instead of keeping it. An out-of-town reporter dropped her keys, and a resident found them, found her car, and left them on her front seat with a note. A student dropped a check from his parents on the University campus, and an employee found it & tracked him down by calling the parents' number on the check. Store owners keep water bowls for dogs outside of their stores. There is ALWAYS a dinner or fundraiser of some sort to help out our neighbors who have suffered some sort of setback. We try to be inclusive of the cultures who have settled here over the years. We're pretty nice. In the last 20 years, I've lived in 6 different towns. This is by FAR my favorite. It's just...simple to be here.

I don't live in the country, but I'm not going to deny that roads are problematic in the winter--but that's whether you are in town or out. It's not that they don't do a good job of clearing it, it's just that sometimes there is so MUCH! And it will come out of nowhere, especially before the lake freezes over (if it does). Lake effect snow is unrelenting. They do get far more snow (usually) up in Houghton. Marquette proper can have less than even 10 miles inland. But, sometimes it's a lesson in patience. And, if I get stuck in my driveway, neighbors always help, and I help if they get stuck. It's only polite!

Old 07-30-2015, 05:52 PM

That's a fantastic answer! Thank you for taking the time to write it!

Old 07-31-2015, 07:30 AM

Quote:
That's a fantastic answer! Thank you for taking the time to write it!
My pleasure! Let me know if you have any further questions. Just to give you some more background, I have a family member from the Iron Mountain area.

I love the UP, so I am waaaay biased! But, I can also be a realist.

Old 08-01-2015, 06:00 AM

What is your impression of Iron Man? I'm starting to get the feel that Marquette is a little like Boulder Co but with some Alaska thrown in, and Iron Mountain is like Alaska but with a little Lower 48 older western state thrown in. That make sense? Any knowledge on the winter roads in Iron Mountain? Can you give me info on what people pay in the UP for heat, car insurance? How about a gallon of milk? Thanks for being willing to help! Really having trouble trying to get info about Iron Mtn from someone who personally knows it!

Old 08-01-2015, 06:03 AM

Also, weird question..... I've read over and over that the UP is just a different place from anywhere else in Lower 48. Wondering if Iron Mtn has that same feel, or if it just feels like northern WI? What happens when you cross that border to make it so different??

Old 08-01-2015, 08:09 AM

195 posts, read 278,518 times
Quote:
Also, weird question..... I've read over and over that the UP is just a different place from anywhere else in Lower 48. Wondering if Iron Mtn has that same feel, or if it just feels like northern WI? What happens when you cross that border to make it so different??
As a former Alaskan living in Michigan, there are quite a few similarities. IMO the inclusion of a strong Native American culture, outdoor-oriented lifestyle, weather/climate, and general "live and let live" attitude makes it seem more like Alaska than other places in the lower 48. There is the whole smalltown-vibe also, which I personally think is much better in the UP because they don't have the violent crime issues that Alaskan villages have. There are many differences though too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan