U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2015, 02:08 AM

1,053 posts, read 727,999 times

Advertisements

I'd enjoy hearing about your visit after you make the trip, if you have time to post.

Regarding medical care, and what others have said about traveling to hospitals, to some extent this can be fixed with budgeting for hotels. If you have the otherwise perfect retirement place, perhaps factoring in hotel stays will make your plans possible. I did factor into my retirement a large amount for hotel rooms, partly because of ferry and airplane scheduling, which is unique to BI, but partly for medical care needs which would apply to others who need to travel some distance to hospitals. We end up having to shell out for lodging when we need medical help, and so far, that's been workable. Last winter, for example, my mother was hospitalized two nights for an illness, while I stayed in a hotel, then we stayed in a hotel for a few more nights just to make sure she was recovered. The compromise is, most of my travel fun money is used up for routine hotel stays. But I still get to live where I want to live. If there is ever a chronic, long term hospital requirement, then I suppose we would have to move, but for now occasional hotels have worked out well. Plus you get to swim! (Big city amenities.)

Or cultivate friends in Traverse and Petoskey with guest rooms.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2015, 08:29 AM

2,203 posts, read 1,932,863 times
With regard to medical care and whether the local hospitals are up to some standard its worth remembering if your going in an ambulance for a medical emergency your going to the local hospital regardless.

Old 09-06-2015, 09:01 AM

1,204 posts, read 820,875 times
BeaverIslandRetired---my brother and SIL live in TC and we have already discussed the sleeping arrangements but they don't have a pool.

I do intend to update from our short little visit. Wish it could be longer, but I'm still working FT until the spring. Mostly though, we have 4 dogs who are rather spoiled and very set in their ways. We don't want the young man who is house/dog sitting get too overwhelmed. Afraid we could lose him for the future.

Craig1112--- hadn't thought about the emergency/ambulance angle. That is possibility more important consideration than having to go elsewhere for certain procedures etc. Thanks

Old 09-15-2015, 05:03 PM

Getting very excited about our short little junket in two weeks. It does seem a little odd that we would be getting so excited to go to the Soo. Friends and co-workers are a bit perplexed about our excitement. Oh well, we don't need much to have a good time.

Hey Man, can you tell me of a restaurant or three that you would recommend. Here again we don't do anything fancy but our two favorites here are a couple of locally owned Mom and Pop basic menu eateries.

We will feel obliged to go to the Antlers. That's where I had my first indoctrination with St Pats day and green beer and just because its the Antlers.

We do understand that things change, for good/bad but don't believe we will be horribly disappointed. Since our needs and wants are few our expectations are easily exceeded.

Old 09-15-2015, 09:31 PM

302 posts, read 721,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JIMANDTHOM View Post

Hey Man, can you tell me of a restaurant or three that you would recommend. Here again we don't do anything fancy but our two favorites here are a couple of locally owned Mom and Pop basic menu eateries.
Sure, what kind of food are you looking for?

The Palace Saloon (and Taco Bell) are the only game in town when it comes to Mexican food. Palace Saloon - 26 Photos - Mexican - Sault Sainte Marie, MI - Reviews - Menu - Yelp

There is Zorbas Greek American Restaurant on Portage Street, which is great: Zorbas Greek American Restaurant - 19 Photos - American (New) - Sault Ste. Marie, MI - Reviews - Yelp

Indo-China Gardens is the best of the three Chinese places in town, and maybe my personal favorite restaurant in the Soo. It's out on the business spur near Big Lots. Indo-China Garden - Sault Ste. Marie, MI - Chinese - Reviews - Photos - Yelp (China Cate downtown is ok. The Great Wall not so much.)

Guido's Premium Pizza is the best pizza place here, in my opinion. Guido
Upper Crust Pizza is also nice, though it isn't open every day of the week. Upper Crust Pizza - Pizza - Sault Ste. Marie, MI - Reviews - Photos - Yelp
We got a Jet's last year which is pretty popular, also Hungry Howie's.

My grandparent's absolute favorite restaurant is Frank's Place, which is a diner on Portage Street. Frank

A Sushi place just opened in town this year, Fuji Steak House & Sushi. I haven't been, but I've heard it's decent. Fuji Steak House & Sushi - 28 Photos - Japanese - Sault Ste. Marie, MI - Reviews - Yelp

Karl's Cuisine is really popular with a lot of my coworkers. It's near the locks on Portage street: Karl

Lockview Restaurant is pretty good, it's out on the tourist strip though so I'm not sure if it's open year round. Yelp - Lockview Restaurant - American (New) - 329 W Portage Ave - Sault Ste. Marie, MI - Reviews - Photos

This new place called the Wicked Sister opened up a few months ago on Ashmun across the street from Burger King. I haven't been yet, but I've only heard good things. Wicked Sister - 13 Photos - Burgers - Sault Ste. Marie, MI - Reviews - Yelp

You are probably going to miss out on West Pier and Clyde's, which are fantastic summer drive up burger places that have been mentioned in best burger in Michigan lists on The Detroit Freepress website and other places.

We also have Applebee's, Buffalo Wild Wings, Jimmy John's, Pizza Hut, and a decent number of fast food places.
If you want a real sit-down Italian restaurant, you are unfortunately going to have to drive into Sault Ontario, because the only one we had on this side closed down a few years ago.

Old 09-16-2015, 07:17 AM

Franks and Karls look like the type of eateries we like. Thanks for the info.

Gotta chuckle out of the Lockview. That's the restaurant that I zipped my thumb through the meat slicer on a July 4th. Hurt a lot.

Old 09-16-2015, 08:59 AM

1,316 posts, read 675,142 times
Quote:
Franks and Karls look like the type of eateries we like. Thanks for the info.

Gotta chuckle out of the Lockview. That's the restaurant that I zipped my thumb through the meat slicer on a July 4th. Hurt a lot.
I have to give another shout out for Zorba's. Hands down my favorite place in the Soo. My parents have been raving about Wicked Sister, so I'm anxious to try that one.

Hopefully our weather holds a bit and you have beautiful fall colors. We've had a week of 80 in Marquette, but things are supposed to gradually cool down.

Old 09-16-2015, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
I have to give another shout out for Zorba's. Hands down my favorite place in the Soo. My parents have been raving about Wicked Sister, so I'm anxious to try that one.

Hopefully our weather holds a bit and you have beautiful fall colors. We've had a week of 80 in Marquette, but things are supposed to gradually cool down.

I think the thing that holds the Soo and the UP so close to our hearts, is the fabulous weather and the freshness so often found in the air. Admittedly the winter can be a bit trying and long, but the rest of the year. Also hope the colors hold up a tad too.

We live in SE Mich and for the most part our winters are gray, drab and damp. A couple of years ago, we had a winter that every few days new snow fell. The new whiteness covered the dirty snow, brought a little freshness to everything -- was cold but not the bone numbing dampness we usually have. I seem to recall that the Soo winters were snow with cold and not the numbing damp.

Old 09-17-2015, 09:49 AM

1,316 posts, read 675,142 times
Quote:
I think the thing that holds the Soo and the UP so close to our hearts, is the fabulous weather and the freshness so often found in the air. Admittedly the winter can be a bit trying and long, but the rest of the year. Also hope the colors hold up a tad too.

We live in SE Mich and for the most part our winters are gray, drab and damp. A couple of years ago, we had a winter that every few days new snow fell. The new whiteness covered the dirty snow, brought a little freshness to everything -- was cold but not the bone numbing dampness we usually have. I seem to recall that the Soo winters were snow with cold and not the numbing damp.
I grew up in the UP, and I love the cold. Hot summers, not so much! I lived in western Iowa for several years, and I've never been so cold as I was there. It was so damp, and the cold just seeped into you. And it was gray & ugly most of the time. Give me a good UP winter, where you have to make sure you're stocked up before a big storm, 'cause you may be stuck a day or two! I just disappointed my kids by telling them that they're calling for a milder winter with less snow this year. They downhill ski, and winter is their favorite time! But do consider walking in winter is really difficult if there's a lot of snow. Often, there is a point where there's nowhere to put snow, especially after a dumpage of a foot or more. So driving is hard enough, with little safe space for walking. If that is part of your plan, make sure to ask how it may impact your particular neighborhood (here in Marquette, residents are not required to shovel sidewalks, and there is no overnight off-street parking during the winter).

Old 09-17-2015, 10:56 AM

Other things we are going to look at/for is vet services for our dogs and grooming services as one of our group is an Old English Sheepdog. Funny thing with OES, they are a handsome dog when groomed, but their personality is all rowdy, find the mud, prickers etc, Maintaining a full coat is a near nightmare, but their lovable nature makes it all worthwhile.

Also have to scope out the "organic" health food and natural ingredient stores. We don't go to extremes with it but we do try to limit our use of products that contain ingredients that we can't pronounce.

13 days to go.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan