Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2008, 08:17 AM

334 posts, read 1,367,734 times

Advertisements

Midland Daily News - Our View: Let's get real (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2008, 09:56 AM

447 posts, read 1,240,477 times
Thanks. I sent that to a few people at work. I agree things are not so bad -- especially if you live in West Michigan and have lived more than 40 yars or so. It's amazing what a little perspective will do for you!

I lived and worked through the recessions of 1981 and 1991, plus the deathly 6 months after 9-11. This current downturn is rough, but I think, unlike the other downturns, that this one will reshape us in a permanent way. For the better.

Our current woes are mostly self-made anyway. Legacy costs of outrageous pensions and defined-benefit retirement plans as well as rising health care costs for longer-living retirees are killing our cities, townships, counties, and school discricts, not to mention large manufacturing companies. This was 100% union driven and seemed like a good thing at the time. Now the current attitude among those who were on the receiving end is, "I've got mine. So long, I'm headed for retirement in Arizona. Good luck with the mess we left you."

The gradual switch to self-funded retirements (defined contribution plans like 401-k) will take another decade to even begin to solve those problems.

/ soapbox

Old 01-31-2008, 07:43 PM

845 posts, read 3,260,138 times
abolishing, or dramatically extending term limits would help too... nobody can figure out how to right a ship, or fix a broken machine when they get kicked out just as they finally get comfortable with the job.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: