Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2015, 10:16 AM

7 posts, read 8,232 times

Advertisements

I imagine you could play nitwacker and let some dude bust all in yo back anywhere.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2015, 08:36 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,142,461 times
Just visit every summer. I heard its nice up there also in the autumn. Make sure you visit Mackinac Island also.

Old 10-22-2015, 09:51 PM

35,066 posts, read 31,284,584 times
I totally agree Michigan gets way, way underrated for its beauty.

Old 10-22-2015, 10:03 PM

10,114 posts, read 19,401,000 times
Perhaps consider renting/buying a cabin in the UP? It is a popular place for such. Research the market very carefully, as an accountant, I'm sure you know that! Lots of people in MI have cabins "up North", you could use it for vacations and rent it out the rest of the year. I'm from MI, I remember falling in love with the UP, too

Old 07-23-2016, 06:32 PM

1,320 posts, read 1,534,875 times
I love the UP. My mom grew up there and growing up we spent every summer up there with family. Lots and lots of cousins. My mom's parents came over from Sweden. I love the lakes. I love the quiet I love pasties. I love the pizza at the local bar. I love wild raspberries. I love the cool summer nights. And, yes, the falls are beautiful. I think the UP is my favorite place on earth. I like the fact that not that many people are aware that it is amazing.

Old 07-23-2016, 09:21 PM

4,666 posts, read 5,091,366 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nep321 View Post
Last month, I had the opportunity to take a road trip and drive through and spend some time in the upper peninsula (UP). To my surprise, as someone who has been to 47 states, the UP is now one of my FAVORITE most beautiful places in the entire country. I wish I could live there, but it's not practical.

I drove up coming from I-75 over the Mackinac Bridge, then drove along U.S. 2 west along the beautiful shoreline, then heading up into Newberry, where I spent the night. I then had the opportunity to drive up to the Upper Falls and Lower Falls parks, which were beautiful. Then, I headed further west along M28 and eventually ended up driving through Munising, then into Marquette. I went to this park there and saw beautiful cliffs along Lake Superior. It was just breathtaking. Then, I drove through along U.S. 41 west, then down M95 south, which was also a beautiful drive. I really enjoyed the taiga-esque landscape with all the short evergreen trees and white birch trees everywhere. It was uniquely amazing scenery that I have never seen in the lower 48 states ever.

I then drove along M69 and headed through Crystal Falls, then proceeded southbound into the Nicolet Forest region of Wisconsin, which was also amazingly beautiful.

I LOVE the scenic beauty and vibe of the UP and wish I could live there. But as a young, single gay guy who is an accountant, forget it (there are barely any gays in the UP, let alone jobs).

But seriously, the UP is one of the nicest places in the U.S. that no one really thinks about or talks about.

What is life like in the UP for a single 30-something? What is life like in the UP in general? Does everyone know everyone? Are winters really that bad? Can you wear shorts all summer long? Do you need AC? Does it ever feel isolated from society?
The UP is amazing. The entire northwoods is incredible. It's pristine wilderness that is overlooked (thankfully) by people outside of the Midwest. Anyways, I went to NMU for two years and have experienced it in all of its seasons.

-Finding steady employment and dating in your 30's could be a bit of a problem in the UP.
-Winters in the UP are no joke. I was in Marquette, and the temps weren't that crazy compared to the Chicago area, but the length of the cold (winter is about six weeks longer than in Chicago) and the snow totals are on a whole different level. Winter runs from late October until some time in April. I was there during winters that had below average snow totals and they had 10 to 11 feet of snow (average winter is about 12.5 feet and the record is like 21 feet). The silver lining to this winter is a very good chance of seeing the northern lights in the winter when it isn't cloudy.
-They get heat waves, but overall the summers are pretty mild.
-This is a tough question to answer. It really all depends on the person. I never felt disconnected or isolated from society, but I did develop SAD. Not only is it cold and snowy, but it is very gloomy from late October/November until about April.
-Length of day...this is overlooked because of the snow and cold, but in my opinion it is extremely important. The peak is days that are almost 16 hours long in the summer. On the low end it is around 8 1/2 hours, but it is usually gloomy in the winter. Annually it gets about 50% of possible sunshine, but the clear, sunny long summer days really skew that stat. It's the type of place that gives Seattle a run for its money in terms of gloominess from late autumn through early spring.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:47 AM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times
Does anyone know how the UP compares to upstate NY? Is it similar at all to the Watertown/1000 islands/tug hill plateau area of the state. I know a large part of both economies rely heavily on tourism and it's not uncommon for areas of both regions to get 200+ inches of snow in some areas.

I ask because I live in that upstate region and have always wanted to visit the UP to see how it compares in terms of beauty and overall feel.

Old 07-24-2016, 02:56 PM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Does anyone know how the UP compares to upstate NY? Is it similar at all to the Watertown/1000 islands/tug hill plateau area of the state. I know a large part of both economies rely heavily on tourism and it's not uncommon for areas of both regions to get 200+ inches of snow in some areas.

I ask because I live in that upstate region and have always wanted to visit the UP to see how it compares in terms of beauty and overall feel.
If I'm not mistaken, upstate NY is more mountainous, but of course the U.P has Lake Superior. When you add this to all the other beauty the U.P has to offer it is very hard to beat. You would be hardpressed to find a more amazing and beautiful shoreline than Lake Superior.

Old 07-24-2016, 07:09 PM

1,962 posts, read 1,817,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by michmoldman View Post
If I'm not mistaken, upstate NY is more mountainous, but of course the U.P has Lake Superior. When you add this to all the other beauty the U.P has to offer it is very hard to beat. You would be hardpressed to find a more amazing and beautiful shoreline than Lake Superior.
Yea I'm sure Northern NY has the U.P beat as far as mountains go, the Adirondacks truly a sight to behold. But I can't believe how crystal clear Lake Superior water is and how beautiful the shore lines are compared to Lake Ontario (which still is pretty nice). Wish I could just time hope between the NY Adirondacks and Lake Superior shores. Hopefully I'll be able to make it up to the U.P one of these days!

Old 07-25-2016, 06:36 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,899,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gt87 View Post
Yea I'm sure Northern NY has the U.P beat as far as mountains go, the Adirondacks truly a sight to behold. But I can't believe how crystal clear Lake Superior water is and how beautiful the shore lines are compared to Lake Ontario (which still is pretty nice). Wish I could just time hope between the NY Adirondacks and Lake Superior shores. Hopefully I'll be able to make it up to the U.P one of these days!

I would LOVE to visit that part of New York also! The U.P also has it's fair share of waterfalls. This one is not spectacular, but it was an awesome sight after a 1 mile hike along the Lake Superior shoreline high on a bluff with incredible views. Of course Lake Michigan is no slouch either, It is an amazing lake!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan