Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-03-2015, 11:13 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ram2 View Post
Far? Many people from Detroit drive "up north" every weekend in the summer. For many, that is a 4+ hour drive each way.
I know, people come from as far away as St Louis and Columbus and have cottages Up North. But you get beaches, dunes, camping, hiking, resort towns, etc.

You make a 4 1/2 hour drive to Cinci for what? A different bar scene? To see a Reds game? No offense to Cinci but Chicago is the same distance for most Michiganders and it's phenomenally better for things to do.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-03-2015, 11:15 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMF575 View Post
That's quantity not quality but nice facts though
The "quality" of Ohio forests is better? How so?

I don't really want this to become an Ohio vs Michigan thread, but just curious what the metrics are.

Old 12-03-2015, 11:32 AM

88 posts, read 94,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
The "quality" of Ohio forests is better? How so?

I don't really want this to become an Ohio vs Michigan thread, but just curious what the metrics are.
I'm not saying that Ohio forests are better. I'm just stating that quantity doesn't necessarily make something better. I also don't want to start a fight between Ohio and Michigan buy it would be interesting to see how forests in both states compare

Old 12-03-2015, 12:15 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
The amount of Ohio residents that come to Michigan for tourism and recreation far exceeds the number of Michigan residents that go to Ohio for such activities.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:22 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,610,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
I know, people come from as far away as St Louis and Columbus and have cottages Up North. But you get beaches, dunes, camping, hiking, resort towns, etc.

You make a 4 1/2 hour drive to Cinci for what? A different bar scene? To see a Reds game? No offense to Cinci but Chicago is the same distance for most Michiganders and it's phenomenally better for things to do.
Most people I know who visit Chicago do so to go bar hopping.

Chicago's 2 big attractions are the Museum of Science & Industry and the Shedd Aquarium. Cincinnati's 2 big attractions are the museums at Union Terminal and the Newport Aquarium. I call it a draw.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:27 PM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Some things for Wolverines to check out about Ohio: superior zoos (many in Detroit and southeast MI visit the Toledo Zoo); superior cultural amenities (Cleveland alone surpasses Detroit with the Cleveland Museum of Art, Cleveland Orchestra and Severance Hall, Playhouse Square, and Blossom Music Center); Cuyahoga Valley National Park; Ohio Amish Country; Dayton aviation history attractions; Hocking Hills (ranked by Fodor's as one of the best state parks in the U.S. and perhaps the most romantic area of Ohio); and The Wilds.

Cleveland: Day Trips - TripAdvisor

Cleveland: Tips for Visiting Cleveland - TripAdvisor

Dayton: Aviation History Mecca of the World - TripAdvisor

Best U.S. zoos: Readers' Choice award winners

Many Wolverines are aware of Cedar Point, the roller coaster capital of the world, and the Lake Erie islands (Put-in-Bay). BTW, Michigan contributed to the construction of Perry's Victory and International Peace Memorial at Put-in-Bay. The Battle of Lake Erie forced the British from Detroit in the War of 1812 and secured Michigan and much of then Northwest Territory as part of the U.S.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Perry&...Peace_Memorial

I don't know if Michigan has anything like the great Metro (county) park systems in Ohio, such as Cleveland's Emerald Necklace. The almost century-old Metroparks systems in Ohio were one of the state's best ideas, preserving great wild areas in urban areas. I didn't see anything like Cleveland's Metroparks when visiting Detroit, but perhaps I missed them.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cleveland_Metroparks

Ohio's Metroparks are tremendous assets, often the focus of prime residential neighborhoods.

I greatly enjoy Michigan, and I'm well aware of its great physical beauty and attractions such as The Henry Ford, but I think a lot of Wolverines know little about Ohio, and ditto for Buckeyes about Michigan.

As for natural resources, perhaps check out the Utica Shale oil and oil natural gas region in eastern Ohio, which is just in its infancy.

United States - Rankings - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)

United States - Rankings - U.S. Energy Information Administration (EIA)
Yea, Detroit has metroparks.
Huron-Clinton Metroparks. Southeast Michigan Parks

Superior cultural amenities? subjective but I don't think so. Ohio has some great things but I don't think it's superior at all.
The Henry Ford which is the largest indoor/outdoor museum in the country
The African American history museum which I believe is also the largest of it's type
Motown music which is recognized world wide
Detroit has it's own symphony orchestra
Eastern market is a great place
Mexicantown for Latinos and Dearborn for middle eastern's, talk about culture
Not to mention one of the largest black populations and cultural offerings for blacks in America
The largest island park in America (Belle Isle)
Detroit has one of the largest theater districts in America
4 pro sports teams not to mention UofM
A huge music scene
Plenty of events, live music, concerts, ect
Great food scene
Great architecture
Great shopping of all sorts, especially the upscale Somerset Mall
I'll just stop right here. And this is just Detroit alone, I haven't even mentioned other cities in Michigan like Grand Rapids, Kalamazoo, Traverse City, Mackinaw Island, Lansing, Ann Arbor, ect.
Yeah, Michigan has plenty of great cultural offerings. And in fact, we see alot of Ohio plates at our Michigan attractions.

Old 12-03-2015, 12:45 PM

1,803 posts, read 2,224,536 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SMF575 View Post
That's quantity not quality but nice facts though
Did you start this thread to troll Michigan and Detroit? It sure seems that way with this childish post.

Old 12-03-2015, 01:41 PM

88 posts, read 94,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North 42 View Post
Did you start this thread to troll Michigan and Detroit? It sure seems that way with this childish post.
Oh now look at whats happening

Old 12-03-2015, 02:20 PM

792 posts, read 2,323,445 times
I grew up in Ann Arbor, and I knew many SE Michigan kids who enjoyed visits to Cedar Point. Some would go on to work there as teens or college students. But now I live in the Muskegon area, and Michigan's Adventure is a lot closer. I've never been to either, so I can't say which is better.

Old 12-03-2015, 02:24 PM

2,033 posts, read 1,678,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
I think it's a great way to get to Kentucky, as long as you never stop!
No No. THAT'S how you go through Kansas!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan