Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 02-09-2008, 06:45 PM

3,120 posts, read 8,063,476 times

Advertisements

That poor guy really didn't need compassion and warm feelings--you can't eat those and you can't pay the rent with it. He needed a decent job.

I don't see how committing suicide is necessarily cowardly. Is wanting to end your suffering and mental anguish cowardly? What if he had decided that he was just fed up with all of the BS that life sometimes entails and that he just wanted to rest peacefully?

Old 02-10-2008, 11:10 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,687,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bhaalspawn View Post
That poor guy really didn't need compassion and warm feelings--you can't eat those and you can't pay the rent with it. He needed a decent job.

I don't see how committing suicide is necessarily cowardly. Is wanting to end your suffering and mental anguish cowardly? What if he had decided that he was just fed up with all of the BS that life sometimes entails and that he just wanted to rest peacefully?

What about his kids? Other family members? How does losing a father to suicide help the kids eat? He might have needed a job -- but then why didn't he do what it takes to get one? Was he thinking one would fall out of the sky?

Whatever happened to the pioneer spirit? Plenty of people move around to get work if there is really no work. I've known people who packed up their car with the possessions they needed and drove off to destination unknown just to get a job.

Old 02-10-2008, 11:50 AM

1 posts, read 1,888 times
Default suicide

You are dealing with an individual when it comes to depression. Putting your self in the situation and saying this or that, is like saying You would react to a bee sting this way or that way. Every person is differant and some people need help by pro's, not electrictions who blog as a hobby. I used to get mad at a religion I used to belong to that would not alow their people to go to a psyc, but instead they told them to come to an Elder in the cong. I used to thing, ya this idiot just got his lisc to work under a master election and now he is going to dispence with the how to fix your marrage or why you should not be depressed.
Some people think that because they can drill a hole or put in a outlet plug that they can do anything. But you know what? They cant.

Old 02-10-2008, 12:24 PM

2,948 posts, read 7,019,456 times
I find it amazing how people who have never been in the situation or dealt with depression themselves can cast so many stones.

I certainly never stated that he sat on his butt at mom and dads waiting for a job to plop into his lap out of no where. But, somehow... that is what you all took and ran with??

Dear God, have mercy on your souls... should you ever have to deal with a loved one or yourself having depression or having their entire worlds turned upside down.

You're forgetting that I agreed with you .. he should NOT have committed suicide. It did nothing for his family, children or loved ones. We can all sit around and say "well, he shoulda..." until we're blue in the face. Guess what...??? that isn't going to change his outcome, and certainly won't be helping anyone else who might be facing this same life altering decision because they feel like they just cannot get ahead in this life.

Get off your d*** soapbox and realize not everyone has had it, or will continue to have it, as good as you have. A person's world can be devestated by something as simple a natural diseaster to as complicated as a freak accident on the highway that leaves that person with thousands in medical expenses and loss of employment because of the inability to go back to work. You're also failing to realize that not all parents have the ability to up and leave the state, even if they had the financial means to do so, because of their particular custody case.

Old 02-10-2008, 01:43 PM

189 posts, read 219,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Killing yourself over losing a home or Job? That is really sad and makes no sense. At some time in the past, every homeowner was not a homeowner. At some time int he past everyone had no job. Why is going back to that time so awful that someone just cannot live? It is hard to figure out whether to pity these people or be disgusted wththeir cowardice. Maybe both.
"There but for the Grace of..."
I have told the story, but: I stayed around metro Detroit long as I could. Lost my job due to economy. Bought a business and kept it going long as I could even it was losing $, hoping for the best and knowing how my employees also had family and selves to support. Ended up eventually losing the business, my house, and not even having $ to rent a run down trailer. When I was days from losing that housing and my auto I was offered a job out of state.
Did I consider suicide? Honestly, yes. Would I ? Doubt it. But ONLY because I have seen how devastating this is to family. And I cherish independance, but could care less about possessions such as house and auto.
Most people do place a great deal of their self-esteem on net worth and losing that would be devastating, perhaps to the point of suicide. When they approach considering suicide or cross that line, compassion seems to be the only consolation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: