U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-17-2016, 11:42 AM

1 posts, read 2,504 times

Advertisements

Hello all.

I am 26 years old and my boyfriend is 29. I was offered a career in Traverse City, MI (near downtown specifically) with a decent salary and benefits, however, I have never been that far north. I have lived in Raleigh, NC most of my life. Though we have smaller towns, nothing compared to what TC is. Is there anything for something on our range to do? Do they have any malls or shops? Nightlife picture? Clubs or bars? It seems mostly to be a community for retirees, but unsure if this move is what I want in my mid twenties. The cost to move there would be hefty also. Any advice on apartments/areas to live in? Would you not consider this for my age bracket? Also, my boyfriend works with non-profit work, how hard would it be for him to get a job there? Thank you.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-17-2016, 03:40 PM

39 posts, read 47,859 times
TC is a booming place in the summer, it caters to the vacationers.....winter snow and the town becomes locals. My son went from upstate NY to take job offer in the food business. He found he worked 7 days a week many hours in the summer. Winter was so slow and the locals know this. That is just northern MI. TC is more a city and has everything, other cities up north do not. Spring through Summer is hard to find housing, again this is vacation area. Winter prices drop and more are available. Took son all winter to sub lease his home he had rented, just rented this month. He came back to Ann Arbor for more steady hours and work life.

TC is beautiful nature area.

I should add, son and wife are in the mid/late 20s also, they found it very slow placed is the way to say it.

Last edited by ctg492; 03-17-2016 at 04:02 PM..

Old 03-18-2016, 07:14 AM

211 posts, read 551,605 times
Depends on what you like to do. If you are into outdoor recreation, skiing, boating, kayaking, hiking, etc, there is a ton to do in the Traverse City area. Housing tends to be expensive and apartments are in short supply, especially close to the downtown area. Not a lot of clubs per say but lots of bars and pubs and there are local festivals that offer various forms of live entertainment, drinking & dancing, partying etc. at all times of the year. Lot's of non-profits in the area but much of the staffing is done on a volunteer basis, so finding a paying job with a non-profit can be a challenge. Lots of shopping both in the downtown and at the malls. It's a foodie heaven, lot's of great restaurants and wineries and lots of opportunities for food tasting and wine sampling. The biggest change for someone coming from the south would be the winter weather. We get lots of snow and if you are not into outdoor activities during the winter it can get kind of oppressive after awhile.

Old 03-18-2016, 09:20 AM

39 posts, read 47,859 times
What Jswee post was right on the spot describing TC.

Old 03-19-2016, 06:43 AM

4,121 posts, read 8,307,986 times
If you love the outdoors, love the snow and don't mind longer Winters TC is awesome! It has nowhere near the nightlife of a bigger city, but it has most everything to keep it fun. There are a ton of breweries, BEAUTIFUL wineries and places to eat that keeps things very interesting. Like ctg492 said, it is a booming little town and growing like crazy. Summer and Fall in TC is absolutely nuts, and seems to double in size with all the tourists, and although it used to be a bit quieter in Winter, it usually stays pretty busy now. There is always something going on festival wise that just makes it a cool town with a great vibe. TC has won all kinds of awards, and was just named best little city in the Midwest, and being on the Grand Traverse Bay it is absolutely gorgeous around there! Just to the West is Sleeping Bear Dunes (named the most beautiful place in the U.S) on Lake Michigan. You will find the scenery in this part of Michigan stunning, and the Great Lakes like oceans with miles upon miles of beautiful beaches.
Like others said, it is tough to find good housing. We moved up near TC 3 years ago and rented a house, but after the landlord said he wanted to sell we had to move. Finding something in our price range was next to impossible unless we wanted to live in a dump, but I also needed a polebarn to run my business, so that made it doubly hard. We actually decided to move further North, but still only an hour and a half from TC so it's not bad, but I miss it badly, and someday would LOVE to move back. Again, coming from NC your biggest drawback is gonna be Winter. You MUST embrace it and take advantage of outdoor activities, and also learn to cope with little sun and lots of long, cold snowy days that can last into April, but once Spring kicks in, into late Fall, the weather cannot be beat. In early Spring though, it can be sunny and 65 one day, and a foot of snow the next. Oh, don't worry about not being able to find something because TC has just about any store you will need and more.
So in a nutshell, basically if it wasn't for the cold and snow, TC would be one of the most popular cities in the U.S. year round.
Plenty of shops and nightlife, and so much in the way of outdoor activities you should never be bored. BUT, if you hate snow, cold and little sun for 5 months you will not make it here.

http://www.qwikfun.com/traverse-city...ists-for-2015/

Last edited by michmoldman; 03-19-2016 at 07:45 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan