Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-02-2015, 12:59 PM

2,851 posts, read 2,280,723 times

Advertisements

This is pure and simple police corruption. And we have the nerve to criticize the third world countries. This is third world. AFAIK fighting the tickets is useless as it's your word against the cop and the judge knows of that little fundraiser and probably supports it as well. Since the average voter in MI would b#tch and moan but won't lift a finger to stop this, this racket will be going on indefinitely and only getting worse. Soon they will just mail random tickets to people's homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-08-2015, 08:56 PM

1 posts, read 767 times
I'm from out of state and was in Ann Arbor visiting family in May. Heading back home I was ticketed in Romulus for doing 85 in a 70. First of all my speedometer and GPS both showed I was going 80. Yes still over the speed limit but wasn't familiar with the area and was merely keeping up with traffic. When the cop pulled out I thought for sure he was going to stop one of the many cars that passed me but no such luck. Honestly think I was singled out because of out of state plates.

I sent the ticket in and plead not guilty and got a response that they would reduce he charge to "double parking" that would give me no points on my license but would cost me a whopping $225! It would be great to not have the points on my license but seriously it's extortion. It's not like I can drive 800+ miles to fight it so I'm stuck paying. Ouch!

Old 06-08-2015, 09:31 PM

4,647 posts, read 8,549,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jjohnsct View Post
I'm from out of state and was in Ann Arbor visiting family in May. Heading back home I was ticketed in Romulus for doing 85 in a 70. First of all my speedometer and GPS both showed I was going 80. Yes still over the speed limit but wasn't familiar with the area and was merely keeping up with traffic. When the cop pulled out I thought for sure he was going to stop one of the many cars that passed me but no such luck. Honestly think I was singled out because of out of state plates.

I sent the ticket in and plead not guilty and got a response that they would reduce he charge to "double parking" that would give me no points on my license but would cost me a whopping $225! It would be great to not have the points on my license but seriously it's extortion. It's not like I can drive 800+ miles to fight it so I'm stuck paying. Ouch!
Yep. A classic case. I was driving around Downriver a couple of weeks ago and they were handing out tickets left and right like free candy!

Old 06-09-2015, 01:33 PM

750 posts, read 1,431,276 times
Downriver communities appear to be especially guilty of fundraising by ticketing.

So many people I know have received speeding/impeding tickets on the Allen Park stretch of the Southfield Freeway that some refuse to visit the area anymore. It's an extreme reaction, but these folks are angry and they don't NEED to come Downriver for dinner or to shop. There are plenty of other places far friendlier to drivers.

It seems the police would rather spend their time writing tickets (generating revenue) than fighting crime.

Old 06-12-2015, 08:28 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times
The two places I hear the most about fundraising through tickets are Romulus and Troy. In Romulus they liek to hang out near the airport and snag people who are going to miss a flight or visitors.

I know people who just drive around Troy. They claim you will get ticketed for breathing too loudly there.

Old 06-13-2015, 03:21 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,846,949 times
Note to self: Avoid downriver, it may cost me alot more than the gas money to get there. If I must go out that way, bring my police radar detector.

Old 06-13-2015, 08:13 AM

4,647 posts, read 8,549,982 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
The two places I hear the most about fundraising through tickets are Romulus and Troy. In Romulus they liek to hang out near the airport and snag people who are going to miss a flight or visitors.

I know people who just drive around Troy. They claim you will get ticketed for breathing too loudly there.
Oh man, there's like a police checkpoint in Troy on I-75. There's about a dozen state trooper bikers out there during the middle of the day. Not even exaggerating. They would come out of nowhere weaving through traffic and literally pluck cars out. It wasn't quite rush hour but it wasn't light traffic either. Though, I'm sure the flow of traffic was pretty close or above the speed limit so I'd imagine all those who got pulled over that day had a hard time fighting their ticket.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan