Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2012, 06:33 AM

8 posts, read 16,385 times

Advertisements

My family is considering relocating and need to know how Michigan stacks against other states in providing care and education for children with Autism. We are also considering Wisconsin. Please also include which cities are considered family friendly and job growth in the medical community as I will be looking for work as a nurse.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2012, 10:58 AM

102 posts, read 234,826 times
Might be best to start at the Autism Society of Michigan's webpage - and then look at the local chapters section. Autism Society of Michigan : Resources : How To Get Help.

Old 01-31-2012, 09:40 PM

3 posts, read 8,188 times
My personal experience is in Michigan. Lansing, Detroit Metro, and Battle Creek areas. My son has been mainstreamed in all of these cities. They did accommodate him doing everything in their power, even though some of the schools had little experience with a child "like him". They all brought OT/PT/and Speech therapists in from the counties to work with him regularly. (But most schools did not have them in building at all times) In this past year he was also diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and honestly alot of the public schools don't have the funds to have a nurse on staff which became a necessity. We were at a loss and have (this year) sent him to Beekman Academy, a public special needs school with everyone in building. It has been a lifesaver, and though I have always been a huge supporter of mainstreaming, though I don't love Lansing I will not move him from this school. (Living in city is a requirement) His progress this year alone is blowing us away. As far as family living though all I'll say is we also have a high school daughter who will not go to school in the city, she is a school of choice student in Okemos. Most larger cities in the state do have several ASD classrooms and are more than accommodating however. I'm not a nurse, but I work admissions in a hospital, and I know we have a nursing shortage in the state. Lansing and Detroit specifically. We've always lucked out in child care, our sons "sitters" have all been college students, who are majoring in special ed, or at least child care and who need money and work reasonably - since letters of "experience related work" seem to go along way for them. I wish you luck, moving with needs is scary, but it always works out. If I can help you with anything let me know.

Old 02-02-2012, 09:23 AM

21,088 posts, read 29,088,219 times
Garden City had one of the best autism programs in the state.

Old 02-07-2012, 06:04 AM

57 posts, read 206,048 times
Ann Arbor where I live has a lot of programs for Autistic people and things to do. They even have a school dedicated to people with Autism, including adult living situations for people with autism. Everyone is really understanding here. I like it. I myself am Autistic despite being made fun and not being treated nicely or helpfully where I grew up. I like it that here I can just be myself with no problems at all. Actually all the towns around here are really nice for people with Autism (Id avoid Ypsilanti and parts of Eastern Ann Arbor at all costs it doesn't feel or look safe and ive heard a lot of not so good things about it) Another great bet is Lansing Mi they are very good with people who have autism as well. If your looking for a smaller town I went to High School in Tecumseh. People there are very friendly, and the school actually had meetings to help out people with Autism. Actually the school did all they could to help me pass (I probably would not have graduated if it was not for them) and there were plenty of people there that stook up for me. That place was great they have their own Autism center as well.

Old 02-19-2012, 03:22 AM

494 posts, read 801,078 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenKeen View Post
My personal experience is in Michigan. Lansing, Detroit Metro, and Battle Creek areas. My son has been mainstreamed in all of these cities. They did accommodate him doing everything in their power, even though some of the schools had little experience with a child "like him". They all brought OT/PT/and Speech therapists in from the counties to work with him regularly. (But most schools did not have them in building at all times) In this past year he was also diagnosed with Type 1 diabetes and honestly alot of the public schools don't have the funds to have a nurse on staff which became a necessity. We were at a loss and have (this year) sent him to Beekman Academy, a public special needs school with everyone in building. It has been a lifesaver, and though I have always been a huge supporter of mainstreaming, though I don't love Lansing I will not move him from this school. (Living in city is a requirement) His progress this year alone is blowing us away. As far as family living though all I'll say is we also have a high school daughter who will not go to school in the city, she is a school of choice student in Okemos. Most larger cities in the state do have several ASD classrooms and are more than accommodating however. I'm not a nurse, but I work admissions in a hospital, and I know we have a nursing shortage in the state. Lansing and Detroit specifically. We've always lucked out in child care, our sons "sitters" have all been college students, who are majoring in special ed, or at least child care and who need money and work reasonably - since letters of "experience related work" seem to go along way for them. I wish you luck, moving with needs is scary, but it always works out. If I can help you with anything let me know.
Ever heard of Doris Klaussen in Battle Creek? It is a awesome place for special needs children! They even help people find doctors etc if need be. What they have done for my step daughter has been great!

Old 06-07-2016, 08:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,945 times
Default Great testimony

Quote:
Originally Posted by KathleenKeen View Post
I loved reading your story. I'm thinking of moving to Lansing in October because the services for my two autistic children here in Columbus Oh is horrible. I'm now strongly considering E. Lansing, thank you for your input. If you know of any resources that may be helpful for them as well as housing info, please let me know. You can email me at [email]jeanenecard@gmail.com[/email] if that is more convenient .
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan