U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-17-2008, 08:34 PM

2 posts, read 6,317 times

Advertisements

anyone know how chesterfield township and new baltimore are doing as far as growth and economy? i'm considering moving and starting a healthcare related business in this area. Is this an area that is heavily invested in the auto industry? I'm having a hard time finding info on this area, probably b/c it is more rural, but i've heard it is growing. Is this true??
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 02:37 AM

426 posts, read 1,195,166 times
Default chesterfield

I live in New Haven, which is about three miles. I would'nt call the area rural. There are a lot of newer homes in Chesterfield in the 24 Mile area. The east side of Gratiot, west side less. 23 Mile and Gratiot area, the traffic is really bad. 23 Mile needs to be fixed, the road is terrible. I notice a lot of smaller drs offices and dentists on 23 Mile. New Baltimore is a bit more rural closer toward the lake a lot more older homes.
23 Mile area floods a lot when it rains, looks like a lake sometimes.
If I had my choice I would not live in this area. The resteraunts suck to, of course that is just my opinion.
As for shopping there is a Kohls, Meijers, KMarts, Target, Art Vann,Best Buy, Dicks,Krogers, VGs,Lowes, Best Buy. There is an AMC Theatre
Not sure about employment.

Old 02-18-2008, 06:29 PM

40 posts, read 166,407 times
Default The Chesterfield area is growing fairly rapidly right now

The development has been expanding northward out of Detroit for about twenty years now. The 23 Mile Rd. area has been building up for almost ten years now. There are many many new subdivisions in the area between 20 Mile (M-59) and 23 Mile Rds. There is still a lot of room for development north of 23 Mile Rd. and it's going to keep building up for many more years.
If you're starting a business that depends on a new population and a growing population in the future, then you've chosen a good area.
The area east of I-94 in that area hasn't really built up, except maybe for the areas very close to the freeway. The development mainly extends from I-94 westward.
I don't know much about the New Baltimore area, but I think the new developments haven't reached that area yet, and I'm not sure if they will. I think the development has been spurred by all the available farmland west of I-94, and New Baltimore probably doesn't have that kind of land available, or at least not enough of it to attract the armies of developers that have turned Macomb County into one of the fastest growing counties in the country.
Of course, if you're going to live in that area, you'd better get used to traffic jams because they're a fact of life up there.
The recent drop off in the nationwide housing market has probably slowed development in Macomb Co., but when Michigan's economy starts to come back, the development will come back there first.
As far as WHAT drives the economy in Macomb, it's still probably the auto industry, but since the development has exploded in that area, the influx of new residents is probably doing a lot more to drive the economy up there than the auto industry is. Of course, if you commute from Macomb Co. into Detroit or Oakland Co., then you can see that thousands and thousands of people may live in Macomb Co., but they work in another county.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:39 PM

2 posts, read 6,317 times
Thanks kathys and 4wd greg for the excellent info. The new business is probably going to be on 23mile on the east side of I-94 which i hope will grow as well as the areas to the west have. I hope to be able to get a good deal on a house w some acreage in the area. The New baltimore area is strange to me; it seems as though it has a nice location and downtown area on the water, so it should attract more people and be more prosperous. In the few trips i've made out there, the traffic is heavy around 23 mile and gratiot/I-94, but overall not too bad(especially compared to most of oakland county). Anyways, thanks again for the input.
Anyone other ideas on this area or why new baltimore isn't a more "happening place"?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan