U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 03:53 AM

3,786 posts, read 4,145,322 times

Advertisements

My mom was born in Hancock, and some relatives lived in Calumet... my Grandpa was a carpenter. Heard stories about climbing out the second story "door". Oh yeah, if your obsessed with snow, you're in the right place.
You're also there in time for fall. So beautiful! Take the road to Copper Harbor, stop by The Jam Pot in Eagle Harbor... lots of yum run by an order of monks.
My father grew up in Salo, not far from Hancock and Calumet. We got to visit the old "family farm" there a few years back. The folks that bought it nearly 40 years ago are real friendly and are used to yet another "pilgrim" knocking on their door from our ridiculously enormous Finnish family.

My mom and dad were already living in California when I was born. My mom loved California and never looked back. Talked about "Michigan" now and then, most I knew was that it was really cold. She never mentioned she lived in "God's country". I don't believe she even knew she did!
I'm sure I may have heard more about it from my father, but he passed when I was a little girl.

I really only became interested in the UP when talking to other relatives after my mom died. I was told by my dad's brother that we came from a family of "Yoopers"! Finally visited in '09, and again a few years later. Felt like "home" brings out my Finnish DNA or something.
Well, I envy you! Although I do admit that while the winters sound rather intimidating, it's the mosquitoes and black flies that scare me! I just seem to welt up these days when I get bitten. Grrr.
Anyway, looking forward to hearing your adventures! Enjoy a pasty! (Check out "Connie's Kitchen"!!)

Well there I go again, getting all chatty... the UP got under my skin... I go into a misty dream state thinking about it.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 07:53 AM

1,204 posts, read 820,809 times
congrats on your move. We gave Houghton/Hancock some serious consideration a couple of years ago as a place to retire to. Definitely the western 1/2 of the UP is my favorite but the EUP is also wonderful.

We have quite happily landed in the Soo, as we were much more familiar with the area. Either way we are living in the UP(finally again) and can use the western 1/2 has a vacation spot.

Old 08-18-2016, 08:49 AM

2,203 posts, read 1,932,863 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAttack View Post
I now live on the Keweenaw peninsula in Calumet!

It's awesome here. I cannot believe how beautiful this area is. I thought the northern Lower peninsula was beautiful - but it has nothing on the UP...starting immediately on the other side of the bridge, no less. lol.

The route we took here was from St Ignace to Manistique, then we cut north to Munising before going through Marquette, Negaunee, Ishpeming and cutting across to Baraga and then Houghton/Hancock north to Calumet.

Beautiful.

And so much more remote and isolated than I ever imagined - and this is a good thing to me. I love it.

I am beyond in love with this place.

Cannot wait till winter.
Post a couple pictures of the area if you are willing.

Old 09-02-2016, 01:32 PM

5 posts, read 13,008 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Post a couple pictures of the area if you are willing.
Here you go!

Loving it here so much. I spent years living within 30 minutes of Acadia National Park in Maine...and the Upper Peninsula can rival that location in literally every sense in multiple places. It's so beautiful here.

Old 09-02-2016, 02:58 PM

beautiful. I'm jealous.

maybe some more when the colors change and snow comes...

Old 09-04-2016, 03:05 AM

3,786 posts, read 4,145,322 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
beautiful. I'm jealous.

maybe some more when the colors change and snow comes...
Yes please

Old 09-04-2016, 06:42 PM

25,207 posts, read 43,105,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillAttack View Post
Here you go!

Loving it here so much. I spent years living within 30 minutes of Acadia National Park in Maine...and the Upper Peninsula can rival that location in literally every sense in multiple places. It's so beautiful here.

Thank you for the wonderful pictures. It reminds me why far northern Wisconsin and the UP are still near the top of my list for retirement possibilities. I particularly like the area just south of there, the Ottawa National Forest, Iron County, MI, and Vilas County, WI.

Old 09-27-2016, 09:49 PM

643 posts, read 1,694,008 times
As a former resident of not only the U.P but The Keweenaw, I couldn't help but to post this link you'll find below. Your living in my adopted home area that I miss terribly. What I would give to move back. I'm sure your getting more acquainted with the area by now and I hope you have found a good teaching job. I know quite a lot about places to visit as I spent over 15 years total there before relocating to Oklahoma. Any questions you may have, give me a shout. Keep us posted on how you are adjusting there or start a new thread about this. All the best!

13 things people from Michigan's Upper Peninsula always have to explain to out-of-towners - Matador Network

Old 11-07-2018, 07:42 AM

1,489 posts, read 985,380 times
I think this thread needs to be bumped. I am interested too. Relocating to northern mi, but still a troll. Love the UP.

Old 11-07-2018, 09:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichiganGreg View Post
I think this thread needs to be bumped. I am interested too. Relocating to northern mi, but still a troll. Love the UP.
Agree with the bump. Its been a littles over 2 years now and it would be interesting to get an update from the OP.

Edit: checking the OP profile it doesn't look like he's been back in here since the original posts. Hopefully he's having so much fun he's forgotten this place.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan