Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-14-2016, 12:06 AM

2 posts, read 2,530 times

Advertisements

I'm hoping to move & go to school. Michigan has 3 schools that offer the program I want. 2 in Jackson & 1 in Lansing. I've been looking for a place to move to up North & Michigan always pops up. I was searching a couple years ago before my father died. And now I was searching for the school program I want & again, I ended up on Michigan. Might be something to it. So here are a few questions I have, I'm sure more will come:

Which is better? Lansing or Jackson? Or possibly in between?

I compared my city to Jackson & it says housing in Jackson is 47% cheaper. It also says the population where I am now is 62,998 and Jackson is 33,661. Which looks good to me because there are way too many people where I am now.

I don't want to live right in the city. So are there any small towns with cheap rent around the area? By cheap rent I mean between $300-$400 a month.

I'm a single guy. I have 3 cats. I don't need a lot of stuff to do (entertainment/nightlife). I like doing stuff outdoors, riding my bike/swimming/hiking.

The area I'm living in now is NOT pet friendly. I was just reading a thread & everybody agreed that it is a nightmare to find a rent if you own pets around here. Is Michigan "pet friendly"?

Do people from the NYC / Connecticut area get along well in Michigan? How does the culture compare? Would you say there is a culture clash problem or do they fit right in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-14-2016, 02:12 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,233 times
Pets - depends on the apt complex or if it's a rental house situation. Most complexes will let you have pets for a fee.

Well, if you are an outdoors kind of guy, then you'll fit in quite well.

Michigan is a blue state, but we aren't as Liberal as you'd find in NYC/CT. There's a strong southern influence, but not as bad as you'd find in Indiana/Southern Ohio, etc.

That said, people are midwestern nice. We don't tend to be loud, in your face kind of people. Much more laid back.

You might find the pace of life a bit slower than what you are used to. Then, again, that might be what you are looking for, if you like the sound of moving to a city of around 30K.

I don't think rent anywhere in michigan is close to $300-400 anymore, unless you have a roommate. So 500-600 is more realistic.

You'll find that some people have moved back to the area after living in NYC or DC (or another large city) for awhile because of the lower cost of living. But it's a very rural lifestyle, so a lot of people never really leave the area.

Old 08-15-2016, 08:31 PM

2 posts, read 2,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by snoopygirlmi View Post

I don't think rent anywhere in michigan is close to $300-400 anymore, unless you have a roommate. So 500-600 is more realistic.

So depressing. I only make around $12,000 a year. I'm trying to get training & a better paying job but every path is blocked & every door is locked because of the ridiculous rent prices.

Old 09-01-2016, 04:43 PM

104 posts, read 95,923 times
I'm sorry, but unless you don't mind being isolated in the winter for 6 months, Oct-April. Not much happening in Jackson. The only positive is the cheap rent. Small town mentality here. No one seems to have any aspirations but to move. A great place to focus on your education without distractions. Horrible roads like driving on cobble stone streets. The eats are not that spectacular. Better fare out of town in Lansing or Ann Arbor. Barely any sun for the aforementioned months.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan