U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-30-2016, 09:17 PM

341 posts, read 377,862 times

Advertisements

Can/coulda single person with no major debt live in GrandHaven, in Robinson Twp. / Ottawa County Michigan on $15.00 an hour? Yes I been using online but you know how the online sources can bewrong/off. Thank you, TGIF, and Happy New Year!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-31-2016, 02:33 PM

5,042 posts, read 5,297,771 times
Yes they can. Provided they are working 40 hrs a week that's a conservative $2000/mo cash budget to live on. If they live in Robinson township they would likely need their own transportation. Robinson township is largely rural. Renting would likely be a manufactured home, or regular home. If someone lived in Grand Haven itself they could find an OK one bedroom for $600 or less. The newer ones would run them $800+. Grand Haven is fairly walkable but on that income one should easily be able to make ends meet as long as they managed their bills/finances, especially if they do not have major debt.

Hypothetically:

Rent $650
Car $300 (if the vehicle wasn't owned outright)
Car ins $200
Utilities $150

Total $1300

Balance for discretionary/grocery items $700 or about $175 a week.

In this scenario with a modest 1 bedroom, and a modest car payment there is still $175 to play with for groceries, gas, entertainment, saving ect. If there is no car payment that number jumps to about $250/wk. That's very doable.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:36 PM

I have no wife or kids. I own my car. How about a studuo or efficiency?

Old 12-31-2016, 02:40 PM

5,042 posts, read 5,297,771 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGPII View Post
I have no wife or kids. I own my car. How about a studuo or efficiency?
Yeah under that scenario you should have NO problem making ends meet on that income in the Grand Haven area.

I know you can find Studios in Grand Haven. I've seen a few on Craigslist in town for about $500. I imagine some apartment communities in the area might have some options, but i'm only familiar with the newer more upscale communities. There are a decent handful of mid level communities that may have some, but you'd have to research it. Staying on Craigslist may be the best bet for that. Not only do you find cheaper more unique units, you are more likely to find one within walking distance to the happening summertime beach/boardwalk areas.

Old 12-31-2016, 02:41 PM

Thenks

Old 01-02-2017, 12:03 AM

Default Thank You and Happy New Year but . . .

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post
Yeah under that scenario you should have NO problem making ends meet on that income in the Grand Haven area.

I know you can find Studios in Grand Haven. I've seen a few on Craigslist in town for about $500. I imagine some apartment communities in the area might have some options, but i'm only familiar with the newer more upscale communities. There are a decent handful of mid level communities that may have some, but you'd have to research it. Staying on Craigslist may be the best bet for that. Not only do you find cheaper more unique units, you are more likely to find one within walking distance to the happening summertime beach/boardwalk areas.
I notice more towards the beach rentals look like a deal but then you see it is a weekly rate. I think the cheapest I have seen on Craiglist is $500. What about Robinson Twp. / Ottawa County? What else can you tell me please? Thank You and Happy New Year!

Old 01-02-2017, 06:52 PM

Sotomorrow I have a phone interview for the following possible career:

https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Loving-Hearts-Little-Hands-Daycare/jobs/Daycare-Admin-b43588ace8c56195?sjdu=QwrRXKrqZ3CNX5W-O9jEvbu1jP3mwTZboCqFN1q7KszMVWKIcthEXn-qPID6vq_g9wHqoGWnkP2NXeD4HxKhCXIK-Wg6uBF21FYZZvzPH1LpI23jVBpX5joCWDC5FFn1

Theposition I am interviewing for is this:
DIRECTOR: Seeking a full time co-director. Must have educational background as required by State (roughly 60 semester hours of education for infant/toddlers and 1900 hours experience), or be within reach while currently finishing classes. Must work with other director to hire employees, oversee directional aspects of all classrooms, communicate with parents and teachers, pass inspections and certifications as required by the state, train teachers, maintain educational requirements, and provide direction to other teachers. Most likely will work as a lead teacher as well. Must pass TB skin test and criminal background check. Must love children. Must have reliable transportation. Must be responsible and trustworthy.
If anyone has any advice, knows anyone, or can please help let me please know ASAP. Thank you.
Happy New Year,
Tom

Old 01-03-2017, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjlo View Post

ToWhom It May Concern:

Today I had a phone interview for the followingcareer: https://www.indeed.com/cmp/Loving-Hearts-Little-Hands-Daycare/jobs/Daycare-Admin-b43588ace8c56195?sjdu=QwrRXKrqZ3CNX5W-O9jEvbu1jP3mwTZboCqFN1q7KszMVWKIcthEXn-qPID6vq_g9wHqoGWnkP2NXeD4HxKhCXIK-Wg6uBF21FYZZvzPH1LpI23jVBpX5joCWDC5FFn1 More pacifically the Director/Co-Director career. Tomorrow I havea face to face interview depending on snow. Road trip tomorrow:Orland Park, IL (Chicago) to Grand Haven, MI (Grand Rapids)!

Also, I snail mailed and emailed you some of mytranscripts, resumes, degrees, and other credentials. Any advice?

Happy New Year,

Tom
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan