Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-01-2006, 03:23 PM

5 posts, read 25,020 times

Advertisements

I am new to this site and think it is awesome. I live in Portage, Michigan. We moved here 12 years ago.

We have a child (now grown adult) with special needs. If anyone is needing information about the school system in Portage/Kalamazoo area or community offerings for children with special needs, I would be happy to share!

Michigan educates individuals with special needs up to age 26 which is awesome.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-04-2006, 06:56 PM

2 posts, read 10,935 times
I have some family friends with a 21 yr. old special needs child with Dandy Walker syndrome. They have been having a lot of difficulty getting her into a special needs house near Holt (Lansing area). The problem is simply space and fire code laws. Do you know anything about other homes in the area or any advice for the situation? I have come alongside them to see this through and I would really appreciate any insight you have.

Old 12-27-2006, 06:52 AM

4 posts, read 23,515 times
Hello. I live in Puerto Rico, paradise in one way but hell for my son (autistic and he is 15 yrs old). I am planning to move to a place where they treat kids with special needs with more respect. I don't have any services for him. I am paying his education, because our system is a nightmare. and believe me, his education doesn't come cheap...and I have a daughter (13 yrs. an honor student, who participates with the ONU club, science club and loves her school dearly. So any information regarding education for my kids will help me determine where to live. I am a single working mother, alimony comes once in a full blue moon, and they need me 24/7.

Thanks for any info. and Happy Holidays to all!!!

Old 01-02-2007, 12:37 AM

1 posts, read 6,682 times
Exclamation Special Needs School

I just happened to come upon this site and noticed your guys' posts. I am pretty sure you already know about Croyden Avenue School, but if you do not I have a little bit of information. It is located on Drake Rd. in Kalamazoo. I worked there for about 6 months and they have some pretty amazing teachers there. They take children starting at 3 I believe and then up to age 26. They are a year-round school. Here is the website. Hopefully this helps someone. http://www.kresa.org/croyden/ (broken link)

Old 08-07-2007, 10:44 AM

1 posts, read 6,515 times
I have a son on the autism spectrum, we are looking to move to the paw paw, Kazoo area. Any info. you have about schools in that area for special needs would be appreciated. thank you

Old 12-10-2008, 09:51 AM

1 posts, read 5,915 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmira View Post
Hello. I live in Puerto Rico, paradise in one way but hell for my son (autistic and he is 15 yrs old). I am planning to move to a place where they treat kids with special needs with more respect. I don't have any services for him. I am paying his education, because our system is a nightmare. and believe me, his education doesn't come cheap...and I have a daughter (13 yrs. an honor student, who participates with the ONU club, science club and loves her school dearly. So any information regarding education for my kids will help me determine where to live. I am a single working mother, alimony comes once in a full blue moon, and they need me 24/7.

Thanks for any info. and Happy Holidays to all!!!

Hi! My brother is 17 years old and has autism. We have had good experiences with the Macomb Intermediate School District in Macomb County, Michigan. The surrounding schools will also be good for your daughter. Other autism services exist in that area as well; Oakland University in Rochester, MI has a program called OUCARES that provides many programs for children with autism .

I hope this helped!!!

Old 12-10-2008, 10:01 AM

541 posts, read 984,634 times
if your kid likes horses try the cheff center,my niece goes there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan