Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2017, 02:33 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times

Advertisements

If you don't mind sharing you mention a realtor, did you buy a house? or rent?

Someone on reddit yooper said the electric co around Big Bay charged 14 something cents a kw where I'm paying 6 in SW Ohio. Another person said he was paying 20 cents a kw and someone else chimed in with sticker shock over the water bill. (Was checking because of a rental I am considering). How did you find the utility rates you checked out?

There are any number of us balanced on the precipice of decision re moving to the UP, please keep us informed as to how it goes!

Last edited by Giesela; 02-19-2017 at 02:41 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-27-2017, 10:16 PM

120 posts, read 154,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leebeemi View Post
That's a tough one. Because so much depends on the individuals on each side. I grew up in a very small UP town (pop. 900), and it could go both ways. If you come in wishing you could find all those great things that the civilized world has & saying "this place would be great, IF..."--you'll have trouble. Check to make sure you don't have a superiority thing going on. It's easy to assume all the fuzzy, bundled up Yoopers are a bunch of back-woods yokels. It ain't always so. That lumberjack may have a master's in forestry. Also understand the stoic nature of a lot of the people up here. I once had a guy stop and help me change a tire in frigid cold. I was just getting the jack out, & he pulled up, got out of the car, grabbed the jack from me, changed my tire, put everything away in the trunk, and got back into the car, all without saying a word. He just waved when he drove off. It's how people are. One day, they'll plow your driveway out of the blue, but drive by day after day without acknowledging you exist. You may walk in a restaurant for lunch & the place will seem to fall silent. It's okay. It may have been silent before you walked in.
Thanks so much for the info leebeemi! As someone who has moved to small southern towns (as a "Yankee" no less) I totally understand the dangers of the "this place would be great, IF" mentality. What I didn't know, and thank-you for sharing, is the stoic nature of the culture...GREAT info! I plan to visit your beautiful peninsula this summer and can't wait to explore the region, share in its culture and meets it lovely people!

Tirzahgirl: thanks for the encouragement! It sounds like things are working out for you and yours...how awesome! Keep all us in the loop, as things progress...who knows...you may be helping future neighbors! :-)

Last edited by InnerCitySoul; 02-27-2017 at 10:20 PM.. Reason: Additional comment

Old 04-14-2018, 12:35 PM

5 posts, read 4,832 times
Our life in the UP: an update

We absolutely LOVE living here! It was officially a year in March since we moved here and it was the best decision we have ever made. We live in Bruce Crossing in Ontonagon County, a populations of around 200 (from what we hear).

The community: Everyone has welcomed us with open arms. We love this community and how much they truly care for one another and are right there to lend a hand. Something that we love to do and being so small we get to know each other better too.

The area: Can I just say "Wow!". We are surrounded by so much beauty! We have seen Bear, Deer, Otters, Sandhill Cranes (they come in our yard!), Bald Eagles, Snowy Owls (in the Winter, there are 3 in a nearby town), Turkeys, Loons, and so much more! We live a few miles from Bond Falls and it is so beautiful there. We plan on visiting the different falls in the area this year. We have also experienced the Aurora Borealis several times and are just in awe! We kayaked for the first time and loved it and look forward to getting our own along with snowshoes something we will be needing since we love to hike our property. I also got my first deer ever last year the first day of season Every day since we moved here, we are in awe of the beauty and mention how much we love it here. Not just the nature but the people (especially the people)

Shopping: While we are pretty remote, we just plan outings to bigger stores (around 45 minutes away) and make a day of it. We keep a running list of needs and wants. We are blessed to have a grocery/sporting goods/feed store in town, a gas station, post office, a couple of restaurants, churches and a health clinic (the closest hospital is almost 40 minutes away). Sometimes we can get great deals at the local store but most of the time the prices are higher but it is good (if we can) to support local businesses. While we do have to travel for appts., etc. we look at it as an adventure going somewhere new and enjoying it

There is plenty to see and do here. We are surviving our first Winter. I say surviving because we are due to get hit with another foot of snow this weekend. The snow is plenty. My husband is a disabled Veteran so keep in mind we don't 'have' to go out in the snow. But it sure is beautiful out here when it does snow.

Thank you to all for the information and feedback. Like I said, this was the best decision we have ever made

Old 04-17-2018, 10:21 AM

138 posts, read 156,075 times
I love the UP too! Its also nice to have some non-Marquette posters on here. I live down in Iron county and my wife and I would like to stay in the UP permanently.

Old 04-24-2018, 06:23 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,216,228 times
Thanks for the update!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan