Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-03-2017, 12:27 PM

5 posts, read 4,832 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone! I am new to this forum and looking forward to learning more about Michigan My husband and I will be moving to Ontonagon County (hopefully!) in a couple of months. I was curious if there was a website for listings of available utility companies: Electric, Gas, Waste Service, Phone/Internet? I would appreciate any help in pointing me to the right direction Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2017, 06:01 PM

2,911 posts, read 1,359,119 times
Well, if you didn't find it already, here is the town website: Village of Ontonagon

The subcommittees and the forms and local resources tabs will give you most of the information you need, and also phone numbers of people that can help you further. You could also try a local realtor for answers to your questions.

Good luck on your move. It seems like a nice town, though a bit off the beaten path. Things get "busy" (busy is a relative term in this case) there in the summer, then quiet down again.

Old 02-06-2017, 07:14 PM

Thank you so much Angry Koala I appreciate the link. Thanks for your well wishes for the move, it will be an adventure for sure: a couple of East Coasters that met and married in Arizona and moved to Colorado Neither one of us has been to Michigan before

Old 02-11-2017, 02:05 PM

1,316 posts, read 747,842 times
Ontonagon isn't a "bit" off the beaten path, it's waaaaay off the beaten path! And in a spectacularly beautiful area. It's an odd place to go if you've never been to Michigan before! It is relatively isolated & sparsely populated, so it's a great place to go to be away from it all. It's only abt 3 hours to Duluth MN from the village of Ontonagon, abt 3 to Marquette, and an hour to Houghton. So there are lots of places to get to easily.

Do be prepared for the cold. Winters can be snowy and brutally cold. A good pair of boots and a good coat are necessary so you can get out into the snow to play. If you downhill ski, Mt. Bohemia is awesome (even for Coloradans!), or so say my skiing family (they are actually up there today!). Just be prepared for limited amenities. It doesn't bother me that I don't have a Costco or Whole Foods. I love my local Food Coop. And if I need to buy full crates of toilet paper, I can get to Green Bay or Duluth. The Keweenaw peninsula is a must-must see, and of course the Porcupine Mtn State Park.

I love the UP. I love the cold & snow. I love the wilderness. I love Lake Superior. I love the summers. I love the fall, which is so beautiful, it can make you cry.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:35 AM

Thank you Leebeemi! Sorry for the late reply, we have been busy packing and are anxious for our move

We have been researching and are prepared for COLD and SNOW. Good boots and coats are on our list (and good warm socks too!) We are up for a new adventure and are really looking forward to this move. Limited amenities doesn't bother us either and being in a more remote area works for us. We are excited about being in a small community too!

Thanks so much for your input and tips on must-sees

Old 02-15-2017, 02:17 PM

2,745 posts, read 3,015,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirzahgirl View Post
Thank you Leebeemi! Sorry for the late reply, we have been busy packing and are anxious for our move

We have been researching and are prepared for COLD and SNOW. Good boots and coats are on our list (and good warm socks too!) We are up for a new adventure and are really looking forward to this move. Limited amenities doesn't bother us either and being in a more remote area works for us. We are excited about being in a small community too!

If it doesn't work out for you (too small, etc) consider checking out Marquette next.

Old 02-16-2017, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tirzahgirl View Post

Weather is funky this week. It was 16 degrees when I left the house, but we're supposed to reach into the 50s by Saturday. So bring a spring coat, too!

It's a lovely area, and as long as you know what to expect, you're good! I hope you end up loving the UP as much as I do!

Old 02-16-2017, 09:56 AM

120 posts, read 154,805 times
I don't want to "thread-jack" the topic at hand, but as someone who is interested in possibly returning to my Michigan roots (originally from the Lower Peninsula) I do have a question...

With Ontonagon being so small, would a fresh faced "outsider" be readily accepted? I know that people generally get back, what they put out...and agree with this totally. I also know some areas are more open and receptive of new comers than others. Where would Ontonagon be on the continuum? The Keweenaw Peninsula? The UP in general?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.

Old 02-17-2017, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by InnerCitySoul View Post
I don't want to "thread-jack" the topic at hand, but as someone who is interested in possibly returning to my Michigan roots (originally from the Lower Peninsula) I do have a question...

With Ontonagon being so small, would a fresh faced "outsider" be readily accepted? I know that people generally get back, what they put out...and agree with this totally. I also know some areas are more open and receptive of new comers than others. Where would Ontonagon be on the continuum? The Keweenaw Peninsula? The UP in general?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide.
That's a tough one. Because so much depends on the individuals on each side. I grew up in a very small UP town (pop. 900), and it could go both ways. If you come in wishing you could find all those great things that the civilized world has & saying "this place would be great, IF..."--you'll have trouble. Check to make sure you don't have a superiority thing going on. It's easy to assume all the fuzzy, bundled up Yoopers are a bunch of back-woods yokels. It ain't always so. That lumberjack may have a master's in forestry. Also understand the stoic nature of a lot of the people up here. I once had a guy stop and help me change a tire in frigid cold. I was just getting the jack out, & he pulled up, got out of the car, grabbed the jack from me, changed my tire, put everything away in the trunk, and got back into the car, all without saying a word. He just waved when he drove off. It's how people are. One day, they'll plow your driveway out of the blue, but drive by day after day without acknowledging you exist. You may walk in a restaurant for lunch & the place will seem to fall silent. It's okay. It may have been silent before you walked in.

Old 02-18-2017, 09:42 AM

Thank you MikeBear!

Leebeemi, our weather sounds the same! It will be in the teens and next thing you know the temps are in the 50's

InnerCitySoul, no worries! So far, we have only spoke with a realtor and called the post office. The gal at the post office was excited and 'couldn't wait to meet us". That just made our day! We look forward to meeting everyone and establishing friendships
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan