U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2017, 01:01 AM

18 posts, read 18,168 times

Advertisements

What are the best areas to garden in the UP as far as climate gos? When I look at USDA zone maps it looks like Newberry has the warmest winters, not sure about number of frost free days there. But I've heard some things in some threads that seem to contradict some of what I see on zone maps. So any advice on what areas have the longest growing season and warmest winters in the UP?
Rate this post positively Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2017, 05:26 PM

1,723 posts, read 885,339 times
Rather than relying on hearsay and speculation, have you contacted the main Michigan State University Extension service or reviewed their Upper Peninsula website?

Upper Peninsula Research and Extension Center - College of Agriculture & Natural Resources

Old 04-05-2017, 06:06 PM

18 posts, read 18,168 times
No I haven't. I'll do that. Thanks

Old 04-11-2017, 05:32 AM

8,210 posts, read 12,424,966 times
The area on the Lake Michigan coast from the Wisconsin border/Iron Mt/Escanaba is sometimes referred to as the banana belt of the UP.

Still the problem is it hardly gets hot or even warm for very long so anything that loves heat like peppers or tomatoes aren't a player in the UP.

I found this answer from someone in response to a weather question on a google search. Other things to consider besides frost dates like how much the soil varies btw one spot and another and elevation affecting weather in your spot.

There are a lot of microclimates. We're on a smaller peninsula on Lake Michigan in what is referred to as the "banana belt". Still - don't expect to get your 6-8 weeks of summer back, even here. Our last frost date is in June and 1st frost date in September. Our growing season is about 1 month longer than in Marquette, which is on Lake Superior. Ishpeming, which is near Marquette but not as close to the big lake, gets much more snow & even less of a summer than Marquette does - and the Keweenaw Peninsula has a crazy amount of snow & cold. There is a small town called Amasa near Iron River which is insanely cold because it's in a basin - frequent -30 nights.

I don't know if this is the case everywhere, but the soil varies vastly over short distances, as well. The Great Lakes were formed by glaciers & different materials were pushed up in different places. Gladstone is located on a sand bar. We're situated on top of glacial till so we have to deal with very stony soil. Only a couple of miles from here, the soil is better. We're on high ground, though - so even though their soil is better, we escape our neighbors' frosts.

Old 04-11-2017, 07:20 AM

2,560 posts, read 1,871,100 times
The "Garden Peninsula" where else? lol

As a bonus, you'll be close to Fayette. I love going there...

Old 04-11-2017, 07:30 PM

7,452 posts, read 9,197,362 times
MikeBear beat me to it, but I was going to say the Garden Peninsula, too.

Actually, it probably makes a lot of sense since it is buffered somewhat by Lake Michigan. I don't know the origin of the name, but it would follow that it is a relatively decent area to grow a garden, at least by U.P. standards.

Old 04-16-2017, 05:01 PM

356 posts, read 949,955 times
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan