U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2009, 11:01 PM

5,988 posts, read 12,861,092 times

Advertisements

I seriously doubt there's any organized crime in Northern Michigan - doesn't seem like the type of place for it. Maybe in Detroit, but not Manistee.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2009, 03:28 PM

53 posts, read 169,288 times
Maybe you're thinning of the KKK? I think that's more likely in Lake County.

Old 12-02-2009, 03:45 PM

5,988 posts, read 12,861,092 times
Doesn't Lake County have a large black population?

Old 12-02-2009, 06:23 PM

902 posts, read 1,847,291 times
Here's some Purple Gang history

detnews.com | Michigan History

Old 12-02-2009, 09:18 PM

12,083 posts, read 37,485,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rageman View Post
Maybe you're thinning of the KKK? I think that's more likely in Lake County.
Nope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flyingwriter View Post
Doesn't Lake County have a large black population?
Not real high by Southern standards, but the highest in this area by a long shot. One real town (Baldwin) which is actually a very nice place. A much higher than average black population for Northern Michigan (just over 10%: Lake County QuickFacts from the US Census Bureau), but everybody gets along quite well.

Old 03-18-2010, 03:02 AM

4 posts, read 11,443 times
Very interesting thread. I am just thinking of buyung a very small plot of land just se of Baldwin
And org crime hadn't come to mind. This land is in webber county. If you are familiar with
The area, is it worth getting some land there or is it way too undeveloped?

This is near peacock trail. Any comments would be greatly appreciated from locals or
Visitors. If I put a triler there would I be robbed blind or broken into? Would it be safe to
Sleep out there?

Tx much for comments.

Old 03-18-2010, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chi-gurl View Post
Very interesting thread. I am just thinking of buyung a very small plot of land just se of Baldwin
And org crime hadn't come to mind. This land is in webber county. If you are familiar with
The area, is it worth getting some land there or is it way too undeveloped?

This is near peacock trail. Any comments would be greatly appreciated from locals or
Visitors. If I put a triler there would I be robbed blind or broken into? Would it be safe to
Sleep out there?

Tx much for comments.
Webber township is very rural. Webber township is also directly North of Baldwin. The townships to the SE of town is Yates township and the one south of Baldwin is Pleasant Plains township.

Your question about being too undeveloped is quite open to interpretation. My idea of undeveloped will be vastly different than someone who is used to the hustle and bustle of a large city. Webber: undeveloped? yes, you are not going to find shopping centers, cities, or even real towns. Closest thing would be around Wolf Lake(actually in Peacock township) where there is a small gas station and convenience store. Rural? yes. safe? YES! Uninhabited? No, plenty (by rural standards) of very nice people there. I would have a trailer or house there (or most of Lake County) in a minute and not worry about either staying there, or leaving it unattended for a period of time.

The other two townships I mentioned are about the same really. No towns, but people do live there. It is out, but not that far really. Townships are quite small and we are only talking a few miles into Baldwin. Which is not that large itself. Nice small town that is struggling like all other small towns, but a nice clean place with friendly people. Your best bet is to come up and look around in person. The only person who can determine if it is too rural or too far cut-off for you, would be you.

I would guess you are from the Chicago area from your name, so it would be a nice long day trip, or a week-end get-away. I know we go to downtown Chicago from the Ludington area and it is a 3 1/2 hour drive each way. That gives us time to go to the museums or downtown and spend a few hours without being too long of a day for us or the kids.

Old 03-19-2010, 03:28 AM

4 posts, read 11,443 times
Oh, thank u so much for that lovely and informative response. I have decided to infact
Purchase a tiny lot but if I can get away once in awhile and spend time in nature I'm all for it.

Perhaps u might know, is it possible to book a flight from chicago to the baldwin muni airport? And if u know that, is it then possible to rent a car there?

Thank u again for sharing that information.

Old 03-19-2010, 06:51 AM

I highly doubt about the flight. The airport is small, as in very, very small. Best bet would be Grand Rapids then drive up. But Chicago to Baldwin is only 3 1/2 to 4 hours drive time. The cost of a ticket and then the frigging around at the airports wouldn't save you much time in the long run, and cost 2 or 3 times as much as just gas would.

Old 03-19-2010, 09:18 AM

809 posts, read 1,871,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bydand View Post
Take a drive through Lake county, if there is Organized Crime there; they are pretty dis-organized. I wouldn't doubt that some of the higher ups in Crime make a Summer home there, it is beautiful country. I do know that a couple used to Summer in the Gaylord area, because we did work at their houses. Nuff said! I woouldn't douobt that a lot of the West Michigan counties play host to some bosses during the Summer. Short drive from Chicago, and Detroit and nice laid-back towns.

Good Luck, and let us know what you find.
When growing up in the north emmet county area we knew of a well hidden and secluded gated compound that was reportedly a "cooling down" place for mob members. They had their own little hunting club in there
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan