Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2017, 12:09 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,574,845 times

Advertisements

Michigan, you have a problem.

A drug problem, that is. At least according to Wallethub, a personal finance website, which released a study on Monday, May 15 identifying the states with the biggest drug problems.

Michigan has 10th biggest drug problem in United States, report says | MLive.com
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2017, 05:31 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
We're the 10th largest State so that would make sense.

Old 05-17-2017, 06:36 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
We're the 10th largest State so that would make sense.
That is what I posted but then deleted the post becasue I read the article. It is based in part on per capita use, not just straight up numbers. I did not study the study, but some of the criteria they measured appeared questionable. However it would not surprise me to learn this given:

1. Ann Arbor

2. Detroit. With a high unemployment rate, especially when you include people who are not counted as unemployed, buy not working. Bored people tend to get into trouble because they are bored.

3. Various Heroine epidemics driven by corrupt doctors like the guy in Monroe. Plus a general epidemic sweeping through the Detroit Suburbs. Apparently it is sweeping through the entire USA, but perhaps more so here than some other places.

4. Proximity to Canada with an easy border crossing and extensive border areas you can just walk across, throw something across or meet on the water without any customs review.

Old 05-18-2017, 06:55 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
That is what I posted but then deleted the post becasue I read the article. It is based in part on per capita use, not just straight up numbers. I did not study the study, but some of the criteria they measured appeared questionable. However it would not surprise me to learn this given:

1. Ann Arbor

2. Detroit. With a high unemployment rate, especially when you include people who are not counted as unemployed, buy not working. Bored people tend to get into trouble because they are bored.

3. Various Heroine epidemics driven by corrupt doctors like the guy in Monroe. Plus a general epidemic sweeping through the Detroit Suburbs. Apparently it is sweeping through the entire USA, but perhaps more so here than some other places.

4. Proximity to Canada with an easy border crossing and extensive border areas you can just walk across, throw something across or meet on the water without any customs review.
When I lived in Kzoo they always talked about I-94 being a HUGE drug trafficking route. It wasn't unusual to see a traffic stop on I-94 with 3 or 4 State trooper cars there.

Old 05-18-2017, 07:46 AM

1,786 posts, read 2,665,683 times
Ah, yes, WalletHub is one of the finest most trusted sources of quality information this side of Buzzfeed

I'm not saying drugs aren't a problem here; however, I sincerely doubt that a WalletHub editor has sufficiently quantified all 50 states (and a district) into anything resembling accurate metrics from which useful conclusions can be drawn, and let's not even get into how they arbitrarily weight their metrics. Michigan landing at 10th probably means in reality it sits somewhere between 5th and 25th. Looking at CDC data Michigan comes in 15th in age-adjusted deaths per capita, making it lower than Utah (10th most deaths), while Wallet Hub ranked Utah 45th in their "study".

https://www.cdc.gov/drugoverdose/data/statedeaths.html

It doesn't even look like age-adjusted deaths per capita was even taken into consideration for the WalletHub study, which if you ask me... dying is a pretty serious problem, and one which should be considered when measuring drug-related problems.

Old 05-18-2017, 09:50 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
I do not know if a lot of people realize how much of a Midwest distribution hub Detroit is in the drug trade. There are probably and literally over a 1,000 detroiter's, at any given time, out of state distributing drugs. Detroit is to drug dealing what Chicago is to gang banging. A large part of the inner-city economy in Michigan is drug dealing and few places in America, in my opinion, is more prolific at it than Detroit. They expand like Meijer and reach more states than Meijer. It lowers the crime in the city if dealers and killers are branching out to other states....but not a net gain for society as a whole as crime and violence increases
in cities that they go. Its like the prohibition era.

WSAZ Investigates: The Detroit Connection

Conviction in Detroit-Knoxville Heroin Ring | WOKI-FM

From The D To The Dirty South: Pair Of Detroit Drug Dealers Dealt Prison Stints For Southern Charm In Dope Game – The Gangster Report

https://www.amazon.com/BMF-Meech-Bla.../dp/B003A7I2QE

Old 05-18-2017, 10:26 AM

5,293 posts, read 6,054,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
Ah, yes, WalletHub is one of the finest most trusted sources of quality information this side of Buzzfeed
Agreed. There's been a surge of these "lists" lately. It's little different than Fitbit creating a list saying Grand Rapids is the 18th fittest city in the country based on data from Fitbit trackers, actually it may be more scientific than that I think people in general are starting to get numb to these ranking lists because they are so transparently flimsy in their methodology.

Although I do find what Indentured Servant is saying to be fascinating. I almost wonder if the state should be ranked higher.

Old 05-18-2017, 10:45 AM

776 posts, read 955,145 times
Coldjensons.

Please tell me about any place where a Michigander can WALK across the border to Canada ??

If you look at a map, you will quickly see that there are NO land crossing points from Michigan to Ontario. Every one of the border crossing points is a bridge.. Detroit , Port Huron and St Sault Marie.

Care to rethink your posting ?

Jim B.

Old 05-18-2017, 04:50 PM

4,861 posts, read 9,304,433 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indentured Servant View Post
I do not know if a lot of people realize how much of a Midwest distribution hub Detroit is in the drug trade. There are probably and literally over a 1,000 detroiter's, at any given time, out of state distributing drugs. Detroit is to drug dealing what Chicago is to gang banging. A large part of the inner-city economy in Michigan is drug dealing and few places in America, in my opinion, is more prolific at it than Detroit. They expand like Meijer and reach more states than Meijer. It lowers the crime in the city if dealers and killers are branching out to other states....but not a net gain for society as a whole as crime and violence increases
in cities that they go. Its like the prohibition era.

WSAZ Investigates: The Detroit Connection

Conviction in Detroit-Knoxville Heroin Ring | WOKI-FM

From The D To The Dirty South: Pair Of Detroit Drug Dealers Dealt Prison Stints For Southern Charm In Dope Game – The Gangster Report

https://www.amazon.com/BMF-Meech-Bla.../dp/B003A7I2QE
My husband has family down in southern Ohio in a smallish city along the Ohio River. I have followed some of their local news and it seems like someone from Detroit is getting busted down there every other week. Huntington, West Virginia is an especially bad town for heroin and busts of people from Detroit. It seems there is quite a pipeline between the two cities, sadly. I also know from when I worked in the medical field in Monroe that before his "pain clinic" was shut down, Dr. Linares had customers coming into town from as far away as Tennessee. Easy to see why Monroe has such a heroin epidemic going on today.

Old 05-19-2017, 05:52 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by canudigit View Post
My husband has family down in southern Ohio in a smallish city along the Ohio River. I have followed some of their local news and it seems like someone from Detroit is getting busted down there every other week. Huntington, West Virginia is an especially bad town for heroin and busts of people from Detroit. It seems there is quite a pipeline between the two cities, sadly. I also know from when I worked in the medical field in Monroe that before his "pain clinic" was shut down, Dr. Linares had customers coming into town from as far away as Tennessee. Easy to see why Monroe has such a heroin epidemic going on today.
People from downstate getting busted bringing or selling drugs in Northern MI ALL the time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan