Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-23-2017, 09:53 AM

9 posts, read 11,583 times

Advertisements

Checking out a few areas there, will be moving mid June.

Can anyone help me classify the different areas of Oxford?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-23-2017, 10:49 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
Are you talking about Oxford Township in Oakland county?
If so I think its rather small, rather white racially and pretty affluent. I will defer to a resident but I don't think there is a lot to classify.

Old 05-23-2017, 11:02 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Are you talking about Oxford Township in Oakland county?
If so I think its rather small, rather white racially and pretty affluent. I will defer to a resident but I don't think there is a lot to classify.
I concur. Not a resident, but have friends that grew up there. Most accurate classification I can think of- owns a tractor, does not own a tractor, lol.

Old 05-23-2017, 12:43 PM

8,409 posts, read 7,402,622 times
I have family in both Oxford and in Lake Orion. They've lived there for more than thirty years.

Oxford goes from high priced new McMansion developments to 1960's ranches/trilevels to quaint in-town Victorians (which require a lot of reconditioning) to small farms to absolute rural dumps where they are probably cooking crystal meth.

On the plus side, Oxford has a nice downtown, a very good school system, and a very expensive high school football field. On the other hand, the lakes are kind of meh, as they are simply played out gravel pits.

As for classifications, get a local realtor to help you out - you'll need a dependable guide.

Also consider that there are surrounding areas that you might want to look at (Orion Township, Clarkston, Rochester Hills, Oakland Township) just to get a comparison.

Old 05-23-2017, 10:22 PM

1,317 posts, read 1,939,804 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djmilf View Post

Oxford goes from high priced new McMansion developments to 1960's ranches/trilevels to quaint in-town Victorians (which require a lot of reconditioning) to small farms to absolute rural dumps where they are probably cooking crystal meth.
That is one of the most accurate representation of Oxford/Oxford Township I've ever heard. It spans quite a cross-section housing types and socio-economic conditions.

Oxford was originally one of the older settlements in Oakland County from the mid-1800s and then was a railroad stop/town.
Oxford became known for its huge gravel quarries that were mined and helped build much of what is in Detroit and the inner-ring suburbs up through the 1970s.

As the auto industry in Pontiac and Flint areas boomed post-world war II, Oxford area became a bedroom community for blue collar automotive workers seeming a bit of piece and quiet. Then as M-24 continued to expand, the suburbs continued to sprawl out, by the mid-90s parts of Oxford were ripe for developers to build McMansions and capitalize on the exurb craze.

So you end up with this odd mix of generational rural poverty, UAW retirees, quiet upper-middle class, and new-money types.

The area is heavily white, loves trucks, and would elect Kid Rock president.

Old 05-24-2017, 09:17 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
I will certainly stand corrected on my comment. I was zeroing in on the village of "Oxford" rather than "Oxford Township".

Old 07-10-2017, 06:49 AM

214 posts, read 285,887 times
We just returned from a house hunting trip to Oakland County (a return home move for me, after 15 years away). Oxford was on our list of possible communities.

Oxford is still a small town, surrounded by Oxford Township. The two blend together as many communities do (example would be Clakrston/Independence Twp.). Downtown is about 2-3 blocks, including local businesses, a movie theater, and a couple of good restaurants. Overall, though, the "feel" of downtown is a little down on the heels. I wanted to envision Oxford as "the way Rochester used to be" but the truth is that you will find downtown Rochester and even Lake Orion doing a better job with downtown revitalization and achieving a better ambience.

Freeway access is a little dicey, with the primary routes being M24 (heavy traffic no matter what it seems) or Baldwin Rd (major construction projects slated for 2017-18).

As we looked at one home within walking distance to downtown, a neighbor came out to chat. He was thrilled that Oxford now had a new Meijer on the northern outskirts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan