Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2017, 01:55 PM

645 posts, read 1,538,346 times

Advertisements

It's just me an early retired man, looking for peace and quiet, privacy, and slow pace of life around friendly people that is "safe". Sure, it would be nice to have an Aldi/Walmart/Meijers/medical care within a reasonable drive, and I could do town/suburban life if I have enough space between neighbors. I know drugs are rampant everywhere it seems, and just the same I'd like to not worry about break-ins, while out and about. The U.P. looks amazing, just not sure I can handle *that* much snow, and I have lived just south of Erie PA.

I do enjoy fishing/shooting, so it seems there is plenty of that in many places, and affordable rent/homes would be what I want... I just want a small, very modest home with a garage that is not a run down dump for a fair price. Figure I'd rent at first, but it seems rental homes are hard to find, especially in anything trending toward rural. I have received a lot of "Pure Michigan" type material in the mail, and you have a lovely state no doubt. Also saw some fishing for Steelheads on the Muskegon river, and my heart sang.

Thanks for the help, it's much appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2017, 03:16 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Well you have narrowed it down to about 90% of Michigan outside the Detroit or Grand Rapids Metro area. Any other wants or preferences?

Old 09-05-2017, 06:07 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
There might also be some options in the northeast part of the Lower Peninsula. Population density is quite low there, but The Google says it's only a little more than an hour's drive in good conditions from the fringes of Grayling to the regional hub of Traverse City, and the TC area seems to be on a general upswing. Also a ton of public land available for recreation in that part of the state.

Old 09-05-2017, 06:49 PM

996 posts, read 1,235,199 times
House budget $$$. ???

Old 09-05-2017, 08:16 PM

138 posts, read 155,935 times
Some parts of the UP dont get much snow. Check out Escanaba. Its in the banana belt of the UP. Aldis is opening there in the fall. Everything else is already there including brand new meijers. Escanaba gets less snow then most of west Michigan.

Old 09-05-2017, 08:46 PM

645 posts, read 1,538,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Well you have narrowed it down to about 90% of Michigan outside the Detroit or Grand Rapids Metro area. Any other wants or preferences?
I kinda figured as much... I think to keep housing costs down, which I guess middle parts of the LP, maybe even the Eastern side of the LP, away from touristy areas could work... That is another situation I would like to steer clear off; places that have a touristy vibe, touristy reality. I don't like the increase in traffic, crowds, noise, crime, etc in such areas I have experienced.

The least amount of annual snow would be great too. Also, I like rural/small town, but not areas of abject poverty/extremely insular attitudes, extremely backward, etc. Have any suggestions/favorite areas that come close to what I'm trying to describe?

Thanks Beachmouse. I forgot to mention what I wrote above; touristy vibe is not wanted... T/C as I have read about, seems to be tourist central for the region, and I figured housing costs to be high, relative to other areas.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Regajohn View Post
House budget $$$. ???
As much as I hate to have to rent at first, I think it may be wise to do so... But if buying, lets say I'd like to stay around $100k-$125,000; a lot less would be great. I'm wanting something like a well built, move in ready small cottage w/garage, small ranch home with garage, or even mobile home options if priced sensibly. Not sure how much land I would need to have privacy, but lets say 1 plus acres, wooded preferred. Low tax cost is a must. Looking around much of the state on various real estate sites, this seems very doable, I just don't know where to start really looking/consider, minding also what I mention in my initial post of wants.

I'd like to find a decent, clean, not run down rental home in an area that I like, for say no more than $800-$900/month. Looking at some over the web, again, this seems doable. Many of the rental homes I have viewed, seem to be in much better shape than the ones in my area for a similar price.

Thanks everyone.

Old 09-05-2017, 11:09 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Get east of I-75, and the northern lower peninsula is not touristy. Or really not much of anything other than public lands, deer camps, and old family cabins. Play it right, and you're in relative nowhere but yet reasonably close to the useful services that Traverse City provides for the larger region. You could also probably go about an hour north of the Midland-Bay City area (another small metro area service cluster) and get something that would get you into the woods not too far from a Lake Huron public access point.

Old 09-06-2017, 06:46 AM

4,120 posts, read 8,897,469 times
Too many to mention..but a few that come to mind. Harrison, cadillac, tawas, Interlochen, Kalkaska, Grayling, Honor, Beulah, Benzonia. There are a ton more but those are some real nice ones. The last 3 are very small, and in a very beautiful areaclose to Lake MI and about 30 min from Traverse City. The Betsie river and Platte river have great fishing...especially when the salmon run. There are also Steelhead. We moved from that area a few years ago to Gaylord, but I miss it every day...LOVED it over there! But we love it here also for many reasons, but the best is we are closer to the U.P

Last edited by michmoldman; 09-06-2017 at 06:56 AM..

Old 09-06-2017, 09:28 AM

3,830 posts, read 6,728,077 times
The eastern portion of the LP doesn't get that much snow, since it is out of range for lake-effect snow. Much of the thumb would meet your needs, but keep you within distance of civilization. Just not along the coast- these towns, still fairly inexpensive and not too touristy, do get more tourists. They can also get some lake-effect snow being on the other side of the Saginaw Bay.

Other option that feels way out there but is fairly close to civilization is Beaverton or Coleman. Sanford, too, but that is less isolated. Anyway, these will get you to Midland, Claire, and Mt. Pleasant all in 30ish minutes depending on your exact location, yet feel like you are in the middle of nowhere.

If you want to go farther north, look into tiny towns like Glennie. 30 or so minutes from Tawas and Oscoda, less than an hour from West Branch (to get your shopping in that can't be done at Walmart), and 60-90 minutes to Grayling, Gaylord, and Alpena. Virtually tourist free, small, free of crime, etc... There are other small towns in there, but some do get tourists. Like Mio. Not a lot of tourists, but Mio is a go-to for people tubing down the AuSable River.

Old 09-06-2017, 08:13 PM

47 posts, read 53,300 times
For what you are looking for, Draw a line from Grand Rapids, Lansing, Flint to Port Huron. Than draw another line from Ludington Clare, Bay City. Any further north the snow can get worst. Away from the waterfronts in this area; are not touristy either.

That will pretty much will get you what you want. in your price range. If you are
5 miles outside of any TOWN or 10-15 miles outside of any CITY.

As far as rentals. Any of the Cities have Apartments for a one year lease, while you further explore the areas to purchase in. You may also find homes for rent on Craigslist too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan