Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-23-2017, 05:29 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
I might nitpick the title of your thread. It suggests our population doubled when you are really referencing rate of growth. But it got me to click on it.
I sort of thought the same when I first read it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-24-2017, 11:15 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times
Regarding areas in Michigan which have lost population, I am somewhat interested in the UP. Marquette has been growing but not the other areas. My dream would be to see a true high speed train (European or Asian Standards) connecting the UP with the Detroit area. I don't know what others think, but I feel this would possibly help increase the population of the UP and have a beneficial affect both economically and politically for the state.

Old 12-26-2017, 05:05 AM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,940 times
I don't think any potential volume could justify the expense to tax payers for such a train.

Old 12-26-2017, 09:51 AM

93,197 posts, read 123,783,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunding761031 View Post
You can't go by CD's estimates. Only the U.S. Census. But Mihigan was recently passed in population by North Carolina and Georgia. Detroit is still shrinking to an extent where it's now like the 25th largest U.S. city (just passed by Nashville, TN). Detroit's population won't start to grow again for a long time. People have to have reason to move into Detroit B4 it grows again...
Not surprising given that Nashville and Davidson County are essentially the same. Imagine if Detroit and Wayne County became coterminous. That is essentially what Nashville is, minus a community or two.

Old 12-26-2017, 10:08 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhthankgod View Post
Not surprising given that Nashville and Davidson County are essentially the same. Imagine if Detroit and Wayne County became coterminous. That is essentially what Nashville is, minus a community or two.
Exactly, the city limits in many of those top 25 largest cities are ridiculously large to the point that some of the outer edges are damn near rural. Let Detroit annex another 200 square miles and Detroit would instantly be back in the top 10, not only that but it's crime, financial issues, and school system would instantly look much better overnight as well.

Houston is set to overtake Chicago in population but look at their land areas.

Old 12-26-2017, 11:12 AM

13,806 posts, read 9,700,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bunding761031 View Post
You can't go by CD's estimates. Only the U.S. Census. But Mihigan was recently passed in population by North Carolina and Georgia. Detroit is still shrinking to an extent where it's now like the 25th largest U.S. city (just passed by Nashville, TN). Detroit's population won't start to grow again for a long time. People have to have reason to move into Detroit B4 it grows again...
If I knew you personally.....I would bet you a large sum of money that you are wrong. Within 10 years, assuming US economy stays buoyant, Detroit will experience at least one year-over-year population growth. Michigan will probably not get its 8th place ranking back any time soon....if ever. However, what Michigan will have to offer, in my opinion, will be superior to what many states larger than it has to offer.

People tend to follow trends. Humans are really monkey see monkey do....to a large degree. Its no doubt that the trends favor the sunbelt and has for the last several decades. Its going to take a while before that changes. However, long before that changes Michigan will offer a better quality of life. It may not now...but things are radically changing. Michigan is growing more cost effective for businesses and people.

I don't even live in Michigan anymore and have not for the last 18 years. However, I am in Michigan about 8 times a year...and as a person that travels the country often....its just a totally undervalued state. It has awesome growth potential once it shakes its dependency on the "old economy".

Old 12-28-2017, 12:20 AM

2,605 posts, read 2,708,972 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Republic of Michigan View Post
Regarding areas in Michigan which have lost population, I am somewhat interested in the UP. Marquette has been growing but not the other areas. My dream would be to see a true high speed train (European or Asian Standards) connecting the UP with the Detroit area. I don't know what others think, but I feel this would possibly help increase the population of the UP and have a beneficial affect both economically and politically for the state.
Thats my dream too not because i want to see more population in UP. I feel those who chose the UP life like it quiet. But to connect Metro with Michigan's natural beauty & let everyone experience it & feel connected to it. To be able to hop on a bus or train that can quickly & inexpensively take someone for a weekend getaway to UP will make those in Metro Detroit feel like they have best of both world, sort of like west coast

Old 12-28-2017, 06:42 AM

2,690 posts, read 1,610,431 times
Michigan has just about anything anyone could want. It's a wonderful place to live. That is, until this week. -5 this morning? Are you kidding me? There's no question as to why people love the sun belt. Marquette hit some ridiculously low temperature. Like Canada, people don't like the cold. Canadians basically huddle on our border trying to hope some warmth escapes.
We do need a wall on our border.....as Lewis Black says-- a wall along Canada, blocking that cold air!

Old 12-28-2017, 08:09 AM

26,404 posts, read 46,544,081 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMansLands View Post
Michigan has just about anything anyone could want. It's a wonderful place to live. That is, until this week. -5 this morning? Are you kidding me? There's no question as to why people love the sun belt. Marquette hit some ridiculously low temperature. Like Canada, people don't like the cold. Canadians basically huddle on our border trying to hope some warmth escapes.
We do need a wall on our border.....as Lewis Black says-- a wall along Canada, blocking that cold air!
Michigan is always milder than Minnesota or Wisconsin during winter, however. During this recent cold snap, Cotton, MN was -41F, International Falls, MN was -36F and Tomahawk, WI was -28F. The coldest low I could find in Michigan was near Iron Mountain at -24F, although Ann Arbor, MI managed -20F at the airport there this morning.

Old 12-30-2017, 10:05 PM

1,636 posts, read 2,141,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by keraT View Post
Thats my dream too not because i want to see more population in UP. I feel those who chose the UP life like it quiet. But to connect Metro with Michigan's natural beauty & let everyone experience it & feel connected to it. To be able to hop on a bus or train that can quickly & inexpensively take someone for a weekend getaway to UP will make those in Metro Detroit feel like they have best of both world, sort of like west coast
Yes, France has the TGV which travels 200 mph. Italy has the AGV Italo which travels 223 mph. Imagine traveling from Detroit to Marquette in 2 hours. Or from Detroit to Traverse City in a little more than an hour or to Mackinaw City in 1.15 hours. I bet there would be much more interstate travel if such an infrastructure existed. Heck, people could work in Metro Detroit and commute to Traverse City. More tourism would sprout, and more companies might seek to venture out up north. I have no idea what the cost would be or the net economic effect. But just an idea.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan