Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-16-2018, 03:05 PM

29,391 posts, read 55,395,429 times

Advertisements

Authorities are warning residents who live near Lake Erie in Monroe County, Mich., to keep off the ice after rescuers spent several days searching for a snowmobile rider they think fell through.

https://www.newsmax.com/us/monroe-co.../14/id/837096/
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-17-2018, 07:51 AM

30,701 posts, read 79,356,279 times
I just learned snowmobile actually cross open water. As long as they maintain high speeds, they can stay afloat. Slow down or break down and you are dead.

Our local coast guard guy told me they rescue people floating out into lake Erie regularly. One guy the rescued three times. The fourth, they found him floating in the lake with his suburban parked on the ice with him. HE pitched a fit when they did not hook the suburban to the helicopter and tow it back to shore (they wold have died), or bring out a sikorski to lift it off the ice.

The coast guard guy told me they have the option of charging people for the helicopter rescue (it was either $50K or $75K I forget which). They decided to charged this guy because he kept doing it over and over. Since his suburban ended up in lake Erie he was also fined $5,000 a day by the EPA for polluting the lake until it was removed. I hope maybe he final stopped sighing when the ice is breaking up, but he probably just declared bankruptcy and bought another suburban.

There is a little sort of bay in front of our house where a peninsula blocks the current int he Detroit river. It is popular for ice fishing. In the spring, we see people out there and you can hear the loud cracking of the ice as it breaks apart all over the place. Still they are out there in droves. Some of them with their kids. One day it was so obviously dangerous and there were a lot of kids, so we called the police. They said they can do nothing. There are no laws against being stupid. Later we got out neighbor who owns the property where they park to get someone out to start towing away their trucks. That got them off the ice in a hurry.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
View detailed profiles of: