Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-22-2018, 09:10 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times

Advertisements

What about Marshall? Not far away, and a really quaint little town.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-22-2018, 09:21 AM

224 posts, read 297,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palanakonu View Post
If you don't mind, could you expand on that a little?
I've heard that the north and west parts of the city are the more desirable neighborhoods, whereas the southern and eastern parts have more crime. It's easy to see that the houses are close together (we refer to that as camp style housing), so it'd be nice if I focused on an area where drunken arguments and booming car audio isn't the norm.

I much prefer things this way. If I want entertainment, I'll go to it. I don't need it within walking distance.
I just want some peace and quiet.
I am not a complete expert on Jackson but I will give you my opinion. My opinion is mainly on how well the neighborhoods are maintained. I am not judging the people that live there. Generally the north and west sections are probably better but not exclusively. The areas east of West Avenue and even more so east of 4th Avenue that lie beneath the downtown area are not so good. The area south of downtown Jackson is not so good. Properties just are not maintained.

The area immediately around the hospital on East Michigan is older but better maintained but as you progress away from the hosiptal things change for the worse. Going south on Page avenue below the hospital things start to go downhill.

Areas around Ella Sharp Park and southward down by Horton Road and Stonewall Road are fine. It really varies a lot around Jackson. You can be in a well maintained area and then within a few blocks everything goes downhill. You would really need to drive around and check it out to decide what you would be comfortable with.

In the news, you read a lot of crime stories coming out of the area south of downtown Jackson but crime can occur anywhere. I knew some folks that lived over in the Ganson and Elm street area which is north and east of the hospital. There was a lot of commotion in the neighborhood from most likely drug activity. Police cars would roar down the streets at times. Not a peaceful neighborhood and probably for sure not a place to let kids roam around outside much.

There are a lot of other small towns in the region that are probably have quiet neighborhoods as well. If you come here, I would suggest renting at first and then give yourself time to look around before you buy.

Old 01-23-2018, 03:39 PM

513 posts, read 498,797 times
Personally, I would pick Lansing over Jackson. More things to do, a university, and still less than 2 hours to the Detroit airport.

Old 01-23-2018, 11:29 PM

85 posts, read 98,858 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jakebarnes View Post
Personally, I would pick Lansing over Jackson. More things to do, a university, and still less than 2 hours to the Detroit airport.
I've had multiple mention moving to a university town.
Is there something bout a town having a university on the mainland that makes them more desirable?
I'd imagine the influx of students and the issues they bring to be akin to the tourist problems we have to put up with here.

Though, to be honest, I have been looking at homes in that area as well.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:17 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Is there something bout a town having a university on the mainland that makes them more desirable?
I'd imagine the influx of students and the issues they bring to be akin to the tourist problems we have to put up with here.

Though, to be honest, I have been looking at homes in that area as well.
Younger people go out more and stay home less. University areas tend to have more and better bars, restaurants, nightclubs and cool little shops. Also the areas are more lively, especially at night. Because there are so many people out and abot, the area tends to draw in older people too who want to go out for a evening once in a while and either have a good time or watch people having a good time.

Old 01-24-2018, 07:47 AM

4,618 posts, read 4,885,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Younger people go out more and stay home less. University areas tend to have more and better bars, restaurants, nightclubs and cool little shops. Also the areas are more lively, especially at night. Because there are so many people out and abot, the area tends to draw in older people too who want to go out for a evening once in a while and either have a good time or watch people having a good time.
And on the downside, you've got 4 weeks a year of horrible traffic (move in and move out).
For example, you want to stay away from Target and Meijers during move in.
Or, in a Boston-specific example, parents and out-of-towners get their UHauls stuck under the bridges on Starrow drive...

And an Ann Arbor specific example - you don't drive 94, 23 or M14 in Washtenaw county a Saturday morning when there is a home football game.

Old 01-24-2018, 09:08 AM

13,258 posts, read 22,822,968 times
Quote:
Students cluster fairly close to the school proper, but if you live maybe 10-15 minutes from campus, you clear the 'student ghetto' part of the area and can often find a nice quiet neighborhood close to all the amenities you get from the university, both from programs the school itself offers to those in the community and the often fun and interesting small businesses that support the students. (Just note that for a few Saturdays in the fall, home game football traffic can be kind of annoying. Get a schedule and plan to visit relatives out of town on those days)

MSU also has a lot of programs and recreation opportunities for kids. So if they want to learn a little bit of Hindi or German, do a camp about physics or basketball or music, or sign up for a 4H dairy program, there are options.

Home - Spartan Youth Programs - Michigan State University

Old 01-24-2018, 09:48 AM

513 posts, read 498,797 times
I don't think football or dorm move in traffic is really something to worry about unless you are living very close to the university. Even then, 6 days a year maybe?

Old 01-28-2018, 10:02 AM

543 posts, read 899,701 times
You can look South in the Monroe area. Close to Detroit, Toledo, and Cleveland.

Old 01-31-2018, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 1,415 times
IMO there are only a few places in MI i would live. That being Ann arbor (which ranks very in many city reviews in the US) and areas in Oakland County. These areas have most of the money in the state, and best schools.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan