Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-06-2018, 06:58 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,844,647 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmouse View Post
You're now reminding me the time we went to Saugatuck State Park back in the 90s, and discovered that at that time so few people used it that the naturalists had effectively the ability to use it as their own nude beach.
There is still a nude beach around there (from what I hear) but you're right, that's at Saugatuck State Park north of town. Oval Beach is where I usually take the kids, which is more in the Douglas area (you go through Douglas but end up back in Saugatuck). :P A bit more tame, lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2018, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
Thank you. Sounds terrific.

Winter too?

We are looking for things to do when we go visit our son at GVSU. There are only so many times going out for fancy Tater tots is entertaining. In the summer we bring the dogs and go to Kirk Park. But in the winter, we like to explore. Sometimes we go to GR and there is a lot to find there, but sometimes we do not want the strain and stress of a City (mostly traffic and parking issues). That is how we ended up in Holland. Just to go see what it is. Actually it was inspired by a billboard on the freeway that said "Holland. No snow guaranteed" or something like that (which was false there was snow, but I did not understand the billboard anyway, it just reminded me that I wanted to visit Holland - so it worked whatever it was supposed to convey).
In the winter? I think it's pretty quiet. I've actually never been in the winter, to any of the lakeside towns other than for work-related trips.

If you're looking for a place to go around lunchtime, check out the Downtown Market in Grand Rapids. They have their own parking lot. A lot of great food to try. Slow's BBQ has a restaurant there, Social Kitchen has a restaurant there (their other location is in Birmingham), sushi, Vietnamese, a great taco counter, etc..

If you're a meat eater, the meat and seafood counter actually serves lunch too and they have an incredible burger made from the scrap cuts of their best beef, ground up into hamburger. It's only like $6 for the burger. Really good and cheap.

Old 02-06-2018, 08:28 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
In the winter? I think it's pretty quiet. I've actually never been in the winter, to any of the lakeside towns other than for work-related trips.

If you're looking for a place to go around lunchtime, check out the Downtown Market in Grand Rapids. They have their own parking lot. A lot of great food to try. Slow's BBQ has a restaurant there, Social Kitchen has a restaurant there (their other location is in Birmingham), sushi, Vietnamese, a great taco counter, etc..

If you're a meat eater, the meat and seafood counter actually serves lunch too and they have an incredible burger made from the scrap cuts of their best beef, ground up into hamburger. It's only like $6 for the burger. Really good and cheap.
My son always wants to go to some hamburger place (Winchesters?). I enjoy it because it is in the historic part of town so I can drive or walk around and look at the cool houses. GR is a great city to explore, but it can be difficult if we brig the dogs. Our son always wants to see his dog if it is practical (usually not in the winter).

I like visiting the little lake towns in the winter because Chicago tourists sometimes get annoying, and because the locals are often more talkative and friendly at this time. IN the summer they have only one desire to interact with you eat (or drink) pay leave and don't waste one second of my time.

I love the lake in the winter. You find all sorts of cool things happening with the ice and water. We often go there in the last winter/early spring. However you really need to bundle up. Our dog loves it, he has a thick fur coat and is usually too hot. Last time he went for a swim even though he was swimming around big ice islands.

Old 02-06-2018, 07:04 PM

Quote:
My son always wants to go to some hamburger place (Winchesters?). I enjoy it because it is in the historic part of town so I can drive or walk around and look at the cool houses. GR is a great city to explore, but it can be difficult if we brig the dogs. Our son always wants to see his dog if it is practical (usually not in the winter).

I like visiting the little lake towns in the winter because Chicago tourists sometimes get annoying, and because the locals are often more talkative and friendly at this time. IN the summer they have only one desire to interact with you eat (or drink) pay leave and don't waste one second of my time.

I love the lake in the winter. You find all sorts of cool things happening with the ice and water. We often go there in the last winter/early spring. However you really need to bundle up. Our dog loves it, he has a thick fur coat and is usually too hot. Last time he went for a swim even though he was swimming around big ice islands.
Winchester is not really a burger place per se' but the food is really good. That section of Wealthy Street has a ton of restaurants now. The Winchester owner has Donkey Tacqueria right across the street, and Traverse City-based Georgina's just opened right down the street to the East. Asian-Cuban fusion.

Totally agreed that Chicago tourists are annoying. We actually call them "Illinois-ing" because they all flock up north to Torch Lake in the summer, and drive like a-holes with their Illinois personalized license plates. We'll take their money though.

Old 02-10-2018, 06:46 PM

7,072 posts, read 9,609,396 times
Quote:

The Dutch influence is very apparent in the majority of the people we saw (not wooden shoes, just hteir appearance).
What exactly does this mean?

Old 02-10-2018, 09:43 PM

13,258 posts, read 22,820,455 times
The Dutch are a pretty homogenous people and there are certain common appearance traits. I can remember getting off a plane in Amsterdam, my husband looking around a bit, and noting to me "All the women here look like your (Dutch) mother."

Old 02-11-2018, 07:08 AM

4,950 posts, read 2,705,499 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Here in Ann Arbor you also see a lot of foreign branded cars as well.

I've only bought 2 new cars in my entire life (66 years old).
The first was a Dodge Caravan in 1989 when we had 3 kids, the oldest about 7.

The second was a Honda Accord in 2002. I wanted to "buy American" but I knew I needed a car that would be reliable for many years and at the time, in my price range that screamed Honda or Toyota.
I own two Honda Accords (2000 and 2010). They are both very reliable cars.

Old 04-06-2018, 03:02 PM

2 posts, read 2,291 times
Default Snowmelt System in Holland

Quote:
Thank you. Sounds terrific.

Winter too?

We are looking for things to do when we go visit our son at GVSU. There are only so many times going out for fancy Tater tots is entertaining. In the summer we bring the dogs and go to Kirk Park. But in the winter, we like to explore. Sometimes we go to GR and there is a lot to find there, but sometimes we do not want the strain and stress of a City (mostly traffic and parking issues). That is how we ended up in Holland. Just to go see what it is. Actually it was inspired by a billboard on the freeway that said "Holland. No snow guaranteed" or something like that (which was false there was snow, but I did not understand the billboard anyway, it just reminded me that I wanted to visit Holland - so it worked whatever it was supposed to convey).
The billboard was referring to the snowmelt system in downtown Holland. The streets and sidewalks are heated in the winter so that they are free of snow and ice. Holland has the largest snowmelt system in the United States.

Old 04-11-2018, 07:59 AM

23 posts, read 40,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
There is still a nude beach around there (from what I hear) but you're right, that's at Saugatuck State Park north of town. Oval Beach is where I usually take the kids, which is more in the Douglas area (you go through Douglas but end up back in Saugatuck). :P A bit more tame, lol.
I'm from Holland myself so let me know if anyone has questions.

Just a warning on the beach, it is very geared towards the gay community so don't get your hopes up if you wanted to see something of a more feminine variety.....

Old 04-12-2018, 02:41 PM

2,259 posts, read 4,749,596 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sillst View Post
I'm from Holland myself so let me know if anyone has questions.

Just a warning on the beach, it is very geared towards the gay community so don't get your hopes up if you wanted to see something of a more feminine variety.....
I've lived in Holland almost all my life and never heard of that beach. Given it's location what you say about it doesn't surprise me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan