Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Thread summary:

Getting out of the UP, Michigan, New England states and California sound good, cost of living in a variety of areas, places with good economy, cost of living, Parris Island, state jobs

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-24-2008, 06:30 AM

21 posts, read 106,454 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in the UP and only for one year did I live in Florida, but came back (long story). Ever since, I have been trying to get out. I just don't know where to go. I admit that there are some advantages to living in the UP, it is pretty safe and can be pleasant when the weather gets warmer (if spring and summer ever shows up). But I am so sick and tired of 5-6 month winters and very little sunshine, always being stuck with cold weather and worst of all very few job opportunities and the job I am currently in pays a very low wage and poor benefits(I am almost 25 and I have to live with my parents because I do not make enough to move out, yet am working full time and usually always work some overtime). I don't have any college, but I do have experience in office work and got a certificate in office training through the career center program at my high school. All that being said, I am looking to move somewhere warmer. Not necessarily the south but somewhere that is sunnier, warmer, little or no snow if possible, though I would consider a place that got a snowy winter if it was short 3-4 months, good job opportunities that pay a living wage (if those still exist, especially for non-college educated people) and apartments that are affordable where it is safe for a young single woman to live by herself. The New England States sound beautiful as does California, but I have heard they are very expensive places to live. Are there any exceptions in those regions that are not overly expensive? I don't know if I am looking for a place that doesn't exist, but I am hoping someone has some suggestions for me, wherever it might be.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2008, 11:24 AM

760 posts, read 2,433,797 times
I swear we've had this conversation before http://www.city-data.com/forum/michi...ml#post2429308

Just pick a place that has a good economy and GO!! You've already talked to people from Ohio, Maine, New York, Pennsylvania, Indiana, Kentucky, Tennesse, and I'm sure you've already read about a lot more states. You've been posting this for a year now. Make your decision, pack a few things, say your goodbyes, and go! Live life, see what's out there! If you've been researching this for a year now, then you already have all the answers you need.

Old 03-24-2008, 02:09 PM

791 posts, read 2,313,644 times
First go to college. If you live at home, then you should have been saving up the money you haven't been spending on rent. If you are almost 25, then you qualify for independent student status (or will soon--they keep changing the rules), so you won't have to report your parents income. If you're used to working overtime, then you'll be able to handle working while going to school full time. Want to leave the UP? Go to college downstate. The winters are shorter, the scenery and local dialects are different, but you'll still pay in-state tuition. If you're not a good student and you want something vocationally oriented, go to Ferris State. If you mostly want to party, go to WMU. If you're more serious about your studies, go to GVSU or UM. If you don't know what you want to do, but you want lots of options, go to MSU. After you get your degree, you'll have better options if you still want to leave the state (including the option of being a stay-at-home parent if you meet the right person while you're in school).

If you can't get everything set up to go to school downstate in the fall, then at least take a class or two at a nearby community college, and plan on transferring the following fall.

Old 03-25-2008, 12:13 PM

137 posts, read 531,264 times
I spoke with a friend from AZ. We compared household bills and job wages in the 2 areas.....He is currently paying $1,400 mortgage for a home that is much like mine.....3 bedroom ranch-style. He says his water bill is about $150 a month (mine is $30), electric is about $400 (mine is $50).....He said a general construction worker makes about $9-10 an hr. which is about the same (if not less) than here. So, IMHO, you ARE living in one of the cheapest (if not THE cheapest) areas in the country. I dunno how you'd make it somewhere else if ya can't make it here?! I don't mean that in a snotty way.....I just know I have lived in NY (VERY EXPENSIVE!!!), Ohio (getting expensive) and now the UP and the UP is BY FAR the cheapest place I've ever lived. This winter has seemed long but, really it's not soooo bad, is it?!?!

Old 03-28-2008, 11:22 AM

167 posts, read 430,198 times
Holy Crap! After reading about Torrid's friend in AZ, I must be living on one of the cheaper spots of dirt! I don't have a $1,400 a month mortgage, I have my own well and I sure as hell don't pay $400 a month for electric. With all due respect to your friend Torrid(I hope he is doing well), If he's only making 9-10 an hour and he is doing this on his own, he won't be doing it for long. His expenses surpass his income if he's getting 40 hrs a week.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:40 AM

12 posts, read 20,651 times
Having moved aound A LOT, I must tell you that no matter where you go, it takes money to settle down ( apt with first and last month's rent, utilities, phone), get a job and wait for that first paycheck.
It's not impossible, but you have to plan.

Getting a job in the health field can be worthwhile, financially, especially if you want to move.
There are nursing schools,where they will pay for your tuition, as long as you work for them for a year or sometimes two. It's worth checking into.
Since you're on the computer, check out sites such as career builder read the fine print and have a nest egg, before you venture out on your own. IF you don't, it can be a revolving door to your parents' and the UP- been there, done that.
Just prepare yourself and you'll be fine

Old 03-31-2008, 04:18 PM

999 posts, read 4,516,417 times
Quote:
Are there any exceptions in those regions that are not overly expensive?
Sure! You can get a government job in sunny San Diego, and they'll give you free living quarters AND pay you on top of that!! If you'd like to be closer to New England, you can get the same deal at Parris Island, South Carolina!

Semper Fi!!

Last edited by and the; 03-31-2008 at 04:30 PM..

Old 03-31-2008, 04:31 PM

21 posts, read 106,454 times
I appreciate the replies. I can definitely see a need in the medical field that would be lucrative, but I would not be able to handle a job in that area. I can barely watch medical shows without squirming.

Also, I know I could make a good living working for the army, navy, coast guard, etc., but I prefer not to get involved in that field either.

I know that will limit my already limited options, but I can't stand the thought of being stuck in a job that I hate all of my life. I already am in that position and the work week is a never ending eternity that is not worth my while since it doesn't pay me enough to support myself, but I have to accept what they offer because I cannot afford not to.

I keep waiting for a state job that I am qualified for to open. When it does I either do not get an interview or if I do, which has only happend once, I don't get the job. I just keep trucking along, hoping that eventually things will get better, sooner before later hopefully. I really am quite domestic. I really enjoy cleaning and taking care of a home, even if it is my parents' home right now. Usually, though, that doesn't pay much, at least around here.

I really appreciate the advice and ideas. I would love to hear more.

Old 03-31-2008, 10:32 PM

5,812 posts, read 18,769,565 times
I understand the medical field can be hard to stomach.

Teaching is usually in short supply, but you won't make a lot at it. Tech jobs can be good, too. Maybe enroll in a cheaper college near you, take a variety of courses you might be interested in, and get a taste of each. If you're going to college anyway that may be helpful, rather than picking something, changing your mind and major, then starting all over again.

Old 04-05-2008, 09:32 PM

30 posts, read 137,642 times
Join the military for 4 years, get experience and sign-up bonus of over $10,000 and you'll also get College money.. Its only 4 years. If your affraid of combat, check out the Navy or Air Force.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan