U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 08:29 AM

92 posts, read 89,304 times

Advertisements

After years of trying to find a job in MI so I can move back from NC, I have an interview in March. It’s for a position near Bay City. While I grew up in Alpena, visited Marquette and Saginaw as a child, and regularly visit the Pontiac area, I haven’t spent any time in Bay City. So I was wondering if anyone in this forum would like to share their perspectives. (I did do a search, but the posts I found seemed to be from a few years ago or more.)

A bit about me. I’m a 50-year old woman who is settling happily into spinsterdom with her cat and overloaded bookcases. I enjoy coffee shops, bookstores, parks, canoeing, cross-country skiing (or I use to—it’s been a while), gardening, biking, and goofy sci-fi movies and tv shows. I like singing alto in my church choir, having friends over for dinner, and spoiling my cat.

Politically, I lean left. But my immediate family is conservative, and we get on fine. I figure, YouTube commenters aside, people generally just want to get on with their lives. That said, I’d rather not have to live around a lot of Confederate flags. I read that that’s occasionally a thing in MI, which blows my mind. Is that a thing in Bay City?

When googling Bay City, I did turn up some articles about dioxin contamination and cancer spikes. Most of them were several years old, though. Is this something about which I should be concerned? Do people drink the water there? If I put in a garden, can I eat what grows out of it?

How is Saginaw Bay? I'd love to learn how to sail. Are the beaches near Bay City any good?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2018, 04:38 PM

2,328 posts, read 1,610,138 times
http://www.city-data.com/forum/michi...ng-lapeer.html

Old 03-01-2018, 08:32 PM

24 posts, read 11,462 times
hi Heather67, I grew up in Bay City, but moved away about 20 years ago. I still go back and visit friends and family, so I'm still familiar with the area.

The dioxin issues that I'm aware of were on the Middlegrounds, which is on the south side of Bay City, in the Saginaw River. It's either an island or a peninsula, I forget which. This is not by any means a widespread problem, I would not worry about it. There were also issues with soil contamination on the old industrial Brownhoist ( I think that's what it was called ) plant on the SE side of town, on the riverfront. This was cared for by removing layers of soil, and rehabbing the grounds. I don't think that is an issue anymore. They have a modern water treatment plant, and even though I never liked the taste of the water, I never heard about it causing any health issues.
The Saginaw Valley, of which Bay City is a part of, is know as being very productive for agriculture, so it definitely has the soil and climate to grow a good garden. But if you get a house in the city, it will depend on how good the soil is on that lot. You might have to work the soil to get it in shape for growing.

A strange problem that I'm hearing about is that the city leaders are going to make the Independence Bridge a toll bridge. So you would have to pay a toll to go back and forth from the west side and east side. This would lead to much heavier traffic on the other non-toll bridges.
And the streets are in really poor condition in the city, so driving any further to save a toll charge would probably be negated by the wear and tear on your vehicle.

As far as I know, the beaches near Bay City are terrible. There is a lot of agricultural runoff from farm fields that flow into the ****awlin and Saginaw rivers, these promote algae growth, and poor beach conditions. The water a little further offshore is nice, if you have a boat to access it with. Sailing is a pretty big deal on the bay, I've never done it but remember seeing a lot of sailboats out there.

If I was going to live in that area, I would want to be in the townships, not the city. Monitor or Bangor townships would be my choice, but that is just a personal bias, I'm sure the other townships are OK. The actual city has the same problem all of the other older industrial cities in the area have: an eroding tax base, so they want to raise taxes to make up the shortfall, which leads to further erosion..............

Old 03-02-2018, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the link, MikeBear!

Thanks for the updates on dioxin and beaches, Joe_in_Mi! It's good to know that the former is pretty much under control. Pity about the latter. But Tawas is just a short drive north, so I could live with that.

OK, the Skype interview is on the 12th. Here's hoping!

Old 03-02-2018, 08:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather67 View Post
Thanks for the link, MikeBear!

Thanks for the updates on dioxin and beaches, Joe_in_Mi! It's good to know that the former is pretty much under control. Pity about the latter. But Tawas is just a short drive north, so I could live with that.

OK, the Skype interview is on the 12th. Here's hoping!
The BIGGEST issues by far are two:

1: Don't buy a house down-wind of the sugar beet plant.
2: The city fathers (they act like old-school Robber Barons IMO) keep things a bit oppressive for people that actually live within the city limits.

I've lived within 30 miles of that city my entire life (59years born in Frankenmuth, then lived in Bridgeport, and now Sanford) and I would personally NEVER live in Bay City itself because of their politics/shenanigans of the way they run that city.

I love Tawas, (Tawas City and East Tawas) and would move there in a heartbeat. In fact we planned to do so, until my son and his wife had a baby, and my wife refused to move. Even though Tawas is only 75 miles away, it's apparently too far for a grandma and her first grandchild, LOL.

Old 03-02-2018, 10:06 AM

Tawas might be a bit of a commute to work for me, but it would be great to have it handy for weekends. I totally get planning your residence around a major industry—we avoided living downwind of the cement plant in Alpena. It was less of an odor thing and more of not wanting the house to be covered by limestone dust.

Pity about the city politics. Still, good to know, and there seem to be nice townships nearby.

Old 03-03-2018, 01:05 PM

8 posts, read 4,814 times
People get very worked up about civic life in Bay City--which I personally think is a good thing. There are a lot of strong feelings across a range of topics. That is manifested in fiery debate over whatever is at hand, whether it be bridges, new developments, etc. This passion makes sense too, because people don't want to see the city decline to the same levels as other towns down the expressway.

The city proper certainly does face struggles unique from the townships, but I still find that it's mostly a good place to live. There is more character in the city, compared to in the townships. Issues like neighborhood blight and higher cost of utilities are ultimately deal-breakers for many people, but not everyone.

I think that the right neighborhood in the city would be a good choice. At the same time, the townships are all for the most part very close, and living in them, you won't feel hugely cut off from city activities. It's a safer bet, at a higher cost.

There are a lot of activities which I think you could become involved in; two which come to mind at present are a critical-mass style bike group which has regular outings and then the Masonic Temple screens quirky horror flicks. Aside from this, I think that the community is pretty lively for a population of this size.

Haven't seen a lot of Confederate flags in the city, though there was a house on the west side flying one for a while about 10 years ago--I don't recall exactly what happened but the place ended up getting set on fire sometime shortly thereafter. I would hesitate to say the area leans any one way politically though--it has consistently been fairly middle of the road for a long time.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:29 AM

Thank you, monica1982. Masonic Temple horror flicks sound awesome! Your description of Bay City reminds me of how people described Durham, NC, a decade or so ago. Since then it's turned into hipster heaven, with a billion quirky bars and coffee shops, and more ironic mustaches than you can shake a stick at. I mock with love—it has really become an exciting place to live. It might be nice to get into somewhere similar before the house prices skyrocket.

Old 03-07-2018, 07:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heather67 View Post
Thank you, monica1982. Masonic Temple horror flicks sound awesome! Your description of Bay City reminds me of how people described Durham, NC, a decade or so ago. Since then it's turned into hipster heaven, with a billion quirky bars and coffee shops, and more ironic mustaches than you can shake a stick at. I mock with love—it has really become an exciting place to live. It might be nice to get into somewhere similar before the house prices skyrocket.
Bay City house prices will NEVER skyrocket. They will fluctuate a bit up or down, but I can pretty much assure you that they are on average cheaper and always will be from where you are moving from.

Old 03-12-2018, 05:43 AM

1,085 posts, read 1,268,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeBear View Post
Bay City house prices will NEVER skyrocket. They will fluctuate a bit up or down, but I can pretty much assure you that they are on average cheaper and always will be from where you are moving from.
The trouble with housing prices in the city is that few of the houses are worth the cost. Housing is largely old and dilapidated within the city itself.

As to OP's question about beaches, the nearest good beaches are an hour away (Tawas and Caseville).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2016 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or