Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-25-2008, 01:03 PM

1 posts, read 7,569 times

Advertisements

We have just accepted a position in Benton Harbor. The sense we are getting is that we should live in St. Joseph. Having only relocated once in my life, I don't just want to do that without considering the options. My understanding is that some live in Chicago and commute as well as South Bend. I guess I'm wondering what my options really are and what others feel is the best place to raise a family. We are coming from a GREAT community outside of Rochester, NY.

Thanks in advance for your opinions!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-25-2008, 01:34 PM

695 posts, read 3,409,360 times
South Bend to Benton Harbor is only about an hour but Chicago is double that. Whatever you do, don't live on the Benton Harbor side of the river!

(I'm actually shocked there are open jobs in Benton Harbor. I'm assuming this is for Whirpool or Maytag.)

Old 03-25-2008, 02:43 PM

1,039 posts, read 3,451,694 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cardwellave View Post

(I'm actually shocked there are open jobs in Benton Harbor. I'm assuming this is for Whirpool or Maytag.)
If you're shocked, it might be that you're getting too used to the "reality" portrayed on here by a vocal minority. Yes, the US and MI have seen better days, but armageddon is not upon us. We have work cut out for us, but people aren't eating dog food and blowing crap up trying to survive. It's all part of same cycle that's been going on for years. Each time we go through this, we lose more manufacturing jobs, but it's the direction the country is heading for better or worse. There are plenty of people coming to MI for jobs, just not in manufacturing. Look at alll the posts on here that talk about people moving here for jobs. There are people leaving as usual, and more than usual from manufacturing jobs, but all this talk of turning off the lights and MI sinking like the Titanic are laughable. If one thinks their life will be better elsewhere, they should move. Judging by some of the perceptions on here about how bad MI is, they should move to Baghdad as life would improve in their eyes.

Old 03-25-2008, 02:52 PM

695 posts, read 3,409,360 times
Well I know that, I live in Michigan, but Benton Harbor has been the worst spot in the state for some time in terms of poverty.

Old 03-25-2008, 05:08 PM

6 posts, read 27,423 times
hi there I am not a 'local' but my son and d-i-l are , they live in St Jospeh on a new 'estate' near the lake called edgewater dunes and it is lovely a beautiful clean place as is the rest of St Joe and grom what I can gather (they dont have kids yet but their friends do) the schools are good. Theres plenty to see and od and of course the Lake is a plus with beaitiful beaches and loads of place to eat out that are so close by. Benton harbour isnt the best placein teh world but the big companies there ar putting alot of financial resources into the area including the new golf course to mention just one thing. A place is only as good as you willing to make it, and I think its lovely (I live in ENgland in the SHerwood Forest area and would swap it for St Joe anyday!)

Old 03-25-2008, 05:09 PM

6 posts, read 27,423 times
by the way forgot to add there are some awful places around here you wouldnt go in the dark so everywhere has its ups and downs

Old 03-25-2008, 05:48 PM

218 posts, read 507,721 times
St. Joseph, and a little further south, Stevensville are nice areas. A lot of developments. Both good school districts too.

Check out South Haven. It 10-15 miles north of Benton Harbor. There are all price ranges of homes to choose from, plus you get the beach in the summer.

Are you serious about commuting from Chicaogo to Benton Harbor or was that a joke? That isn't even an option. 2 hours each way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan