Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-18-2018, 12:30 PM

1 posts, read 1,525 times

Advertisements

I used to live in Macomb County, but moved to Virginia last year. My 23 year old daughter just graduated college and is looking for an apartment. Her boyfriend works in Dearborn, and she has just accepted a position in Ann Arbor. They are just starting out and cannot afford to live in Ann Arbor, and she wants to move somewhere in between that is safe (who doesn't want to be safe, right?) I am not educated around the area she is looking, but she is contemplating Canton. Can anyone educate me about the area, and give me advice on areas she may want to avoid? I'm trying to find what I can on the forum here, but not had much luck. Thanks in advance!!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-18-2018, 01:54 PM

2,222 posts, read 2,246,525 times
Canton in general us as safe as anyplace but I am sure there is an apartment complex is two one might avoid. Hopefully someone actually familiar with Canton neighborhoods will weigh in.

Old 05-18-2018, 02:37 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
Canton is nice, safe, boring. Just bland suburbia. She should be fine there. It is considerably more expensive that a lot of nearby areas, but it is nicer and safer than those areas too. It is well locations for someone ties to Ann Arbor and Dearborn. I do not know where it ranks on safety rankings, but it has to be at least top 20. Traffic and car accidents are probably the biggest threat. Thee is some crime burglaries and such, like anywhere, but it is not as common as a lot of places, probably most places.

Old 05-19-2018, 06:27 AM

543 posts, read 899,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
Canton in general us as safe as anyplace but I am sure there is an apartment complex is two one might avoid. Hopefully someone actually familiar with Canton neighborhoods will weigh in.
Stay away from apartments near Joy and I275. They are constantly in the police blotter.

Old 05-19-2018, 07:19 AM

4,861 posts, read 9,303,613 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by leroythelion View Post
Stay away from apartments near Joy and I275. They are constantly in the police blotter.
I second this. When our daughter was looking for an apartment last year we went with her to look at one in Canton near Joy and I-275 and the complex had a very seedy vibe to it, in spite of being in Canton. Generally, the further west out Ford Rd. you go, the better.

Old 05-20-2018, 01:20 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,049 times
Canton would be a great spot for them to land. The area is pretty diverse and is central to most places they need to go. A lot of people end up in Canton because it's cheaper than Ann Arbor, but close. And it's not a difficult commute to Dearborn or downtown Detroit.

They have a great library/community center. The parks are pretty nice as well

You can find just about all the retail/food you want on Ford Road. There's a lot of choice.

Old 05-21-2018, 07:30 AM

30,708 posts, read 79,757,770 times
It is interesting how one of the big features that is used to make many communities appealing is a "great library." In many places that have no downtown, the Library serves are a center for the community. And yet, when library budgets are discussed at council meetings there is always someone exclaiming how libraries are out of date and no longer needed. (You quickly learn form their comments they have not been to their library recently).

Canton's library is quite nice and makes a very good centerpiece for the community. I have renter their conference room through a local on a few occasions, It is a good place for meetings or depositions in a location where conference facilities are scarce. You have to be quiet though, sound form that room carries readily.

Old 05-23-2018, 05:22 AM

8,411 posts, read 7,417,042 times
I'm in Canton. The west side of Canton is safe but a little more expensive and close to Ann Arbor.

Downtown Canton Apartments | Uptown in Canton in Canton, MI 48187

There is also an Express Ride that stops at the Cherry Hill Village Theater that goes to U of M. I know many neighbors that use it to avoid the parking on site. The bus stop is right in front of the apartments which is very convenient.

Also, check out Cherry Hill Village condos. People rent out their condos from time to time. It's a great location. There are festival and food truck events in the summer as well as the local parks that play at the parks. It is a mixture of families with children and retirees.

https://ltp.umich.edu/alt-trans/expressride.php

PM if you have additional questions.

Old 05-24-2018, 12:47 PM

202 posts, read 250,439 times
Canton Police are sneaky and use encryption on their radio system to prevent citizens from hearing the truth. They lost respect from me for that.
There were a few apartments that had issues but I dont know how they are now. The complexes at Joy/275, for starters. There were also some mobile home parks near Michigan/275 that got rough at times.

Old 05-24-2018, 06:03 PM

915 posts, read 1,504,049 times
We rented at haggerty and Ford for a year. It was a great location, except the traffic is just horrible at that corner. It's a bit better now that they've expanded the lanes, but still, heavy traffic is just a constant.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan > Detroit