U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Covid-19 Information Page
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-02-2018, 05:27 PM

3 posts, read 1,949 times

Advertisements

I am thinking of moving to Marquette. I understand Michigan may legalize recreational use of Marijuana. If it does, do you think the smell of marijuana will be common walking down the streets of Marquette? I only ask this because I am severely allergic and can have seizures if I am around even the smell.
Any info would help!
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2018, 11:20 PM

2,953 posts, read 1,337,295 times
You would be better off moving to Oklahoma. You'll never have to worry about it being legal there.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:54 AM

15,454 posts, read 14,020,146 times
I sympathize with you. Although I am not allergic, I find the smell offensive. I have neighbors (at least four houses) whose marijuana I can smell and doubt any of them have legitimate medical need for it. If a city banned marijuana smoke (and bonfires and barbeques), I would seriously consider moving there. It has become very unpleasant to spend time outdoors or open the windows. I live in Eastpointe, a suburb of Detroit.

Old 06-03-2018, 08:31 PM

28,869 posts, read 68,705,133 times
I seriously doubt the streets will smell of marijuana. Pretty much the people who use it now will keep using it - only legally. People who do not use it are not likely to start.

You can encounter it anywhere. My daughter had a lot of problems with the smell in an apartment complex in Arizona, but when she moved to Denver where it is legal, no problem at her apartment.

However it is hard to escape exposure to it entirely. Not sure how you are going to do that. I guess you have to live with having seizures from time to time. That is terrible. Also I suggest you not drive. I have frequently smelled it coming from other cars near me in all kinds of different places. If you drive past someone smoking in their car, you could have a seizure and end up killing someone. Good luck to you this is a tough condition.

Old 06-05-2018, 04:40 PM

1,316 posts, read 572,473 times
That's a tough one. I imagine that when legalized for recreational use, a lot of the increased usage will be in edibles. But I don't know what to tell you about the smoke. Right now, there are occasionally groups of smokers outside of bars smoking. I would bet that downtown would address it if rec smoking is legalized, but that is likely a process. We are a crunchy granola type town, so embracing legal weed will be a pretty big deal.

I have a workmate that lives in a large apartment complex, and she's been battling her landlord over another resident with a medical marijauna card. The resident smokes a LOT. The building is strictly smoke-free. Landlord won't address the resident because it is for a medical condition. My workmate has argued that the landlord doesn't know if the other resident could use edibles or not, and he should pursue it. Landlord still refuses.

Old 06-06-2018, 09:33 AM

94 posts, read 103,234 times
I recently visited Colorado Springs and Breckenridge, CO. There were pot dispensaries in many areas. But I walked around in several public spaces and never smelled anything weird. Apparently, people are either smoking in their homes or ingesting via edibles.

It's was very odd to drive around seeing all the buildings with green crosses (the dispensary label) on them. It's probably how people felt at the end of alcohol Prohibition when bars started opening.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan