U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Happy Halloween!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 02-04-2009, 05:39 PM

1 posts, read 6,410 times
Lifelong resident of Portage--HIGHLY recommend, very safe, good schools, nice homes, great community. Pretty close to Grand Rapids, Chicago, and Ann Arbor (U of M), ideal place to live. Good restaurants, shows, a comfortable place to live.
Quick reply to this message

Old 02-06-2009, 08:28 AM

943 posts, read 1,378,506 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaggers View Post
Hillsdale is a nice county to live in. Im not a big fan of coldwater. There are more jobs in the coldwater but the people are not as freindly. If I did anything I would buy a house in Hillsdale county and maybe comute to coldwater. Houses are cheaper and the land is much prettier. Branch county is flat and open for the most part. where hillsdale county is wooded and hilly some places very hilly. If you do move here I would recomend a 4x4 if you plan on commuting or live in the rural areas. No diffrant than any other place in MI. Actually we are the farthest south so we get the least amount of snow.
Yeah that was one weird thing I noticed, Coldwater was a lot less friendly, do not know what that is about....

Quote:
Originally Posted by deslok View Post
Richland Michigan for a small town with low crime. Hillsdale, Coldwater, and other small towns mentioned truely are small, and also have a sense of the movie funny farm to them. I see amish folks everywhere, and it feels like I'm walking into the 1940's! Not exactly a good way to raise kids if you ask me, at least if you want them competitive later in life. Richland has a great school gull lake, a great lake if you can so afford to live there (600K on up) or affordable housing in the Augusta or Richland area. I'd stay away from Galesburg though, big difference. Private message me if you'd like more info on richland GL.
Other places I'd consider would be Ann Arbor, or Dearborn. I echo the sentiments about Holland being cult like, therefore I would stay away.
LOL

I loved this about Hillsdale, well before it died, that it was like walking into the 1940s. If you are young and into action, Hillsdale isnt place for you.
One used to see buggies pulling up downtown Hillsdale. LOL

Quote:
Originally Posted by darstar View Post
Coming from urban California , I think one would be bored with Paw Paw. Its very rural , to the extreme, as is most all of Van Buren County. really in the " sticks " , as some would say. I tried the area for 5 years , and , grew to dislike it. I was only 12 miles from South Haven , but , it seemed like many miles , not even a Starbucks.........until you drove 30 miles to the Kzoo.......... and , that was a bit far for a cup of coffee.
Throw in all the trailer homes , the trash in the ditches , the lack of interesting places to eat , all the workers were missing their front teeth , the meth labs around most rural corners, cell phone service was marginal , and summer homes were always getting broken into for drug money , well , you get the picture.... however , the County did have great blueberries , the best. If you are into rural truck farming endeavors, migrant workers without English or drivers licenses , or insurance , then , go for it.
Paw Paw seems kind of oppressed and repressed. The river is nice, and some scenery there. Ive been many times before. Have an ex-sister in law from there. It is kind of a scary place if I judge it by a few people I have known from there. I love small towns, loved life in Hillsdale before it died. But Paw Paw is not even on my list of places to go even if its an ok place to visit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
Van Buren County is nice. I would love to live in South Haven, but it's way too expensive and too tourist-filled in the summer. Paw Paw's nice, but a little too suburban for my tastes. Mattawan is basically a suburb of Kzoo. Overall, I'm more of a Michiana (St.Joseph/Cass/Berrien counties) fan.
Hey Kzoo I am looking into Three Rivers, found a nice senior disabled place I am on list for. I dont want to live in tourist place, I thought about South Haven, but then tourist towns kind of like St. JOe seem to lack a certain community cohesion, too many outsiders and the whole town, is towards them. That is what is weird about St. Joe, coffeeshops where you really cant get to know anyone because its just a long line of outsiders.

Van Buren county is more rural. I know I cant drive 30 miles to get a liscense.

Hey in Three Rivers do they have a social security office and DMV down there?

Last edited by Yac; 02-09-2009 at 01:31 AM.. Reason: 4 posts in a row merged

Old 02-06-2009, 05:54 PM

80 posts, read 92,306 times
Default Armpit

Quote:
Originally Posted by frmrresident View Post
If you are moving to Michigan, stay away from Flint. Is is the armpit of Michigan. High crime rates, poverty, business/auto plants leaving the area, and no good schools. I grew up in Flushing and it's a beautiful city. I now live in GR and it's nice here, but very conservative. Great for raising a family, but not for being single.
I thought Jackson was the armpit. I think we are now. I would not move here, in fact I am considering moving from this state. I am not sure why one would want to move here now. We have great seasons yes but that is about it.

Old 02-06-2009, 05:59 PM

80 posts, read 92,306 times
Default Jackson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moesta View Post
I live on the west side of MI and have relatives on the east. I see Ann Arbor area as the most fascinating area of all of MI. Very cultural and yet has a mid-size town field. I will never understand other than location for Lansing to be the state capital. It should be Ann Arbor. You don't have to live in AA to be close to all the exciting things that happen there. Stay away from Jackson, Detriot, Muskegon. Grand Rapids is more exciting than Lansing also.
I agree, stay away from Jackson unless you like craters for roads and crime, and more people living on welfare than you can even imagine. There are NO jobs in this county. There is no culture in this county. I have lived here my entire 35 years and I can not wait to move. The problem is there isn't much of anything anywhere right now. So, I will finish school and hopefully find a job and then when I have at least two years of experience I will be able to get out and only visit.

Old 02-11-2009, 09:24 AM

147 posts, read 342,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Michelle73 View Post
I agree, stay away from Jackson unless you like craters for roads and crime, and more people living on welfare than you can even imagine. There are NO jobs in this county. There is no culture in this county. I have lived here my entire 35 years and I can not wait to move. The problem is there isn't much of anything anywhere right now. So, I will finish school and hopefully find a job and then when I have at least two years of experience I will be able to get out and only visit.
Michelle, I recently ran across this post from "NanAnnie" and I think she hits the nail on the head.

"I have to give my grandpas story whenever I hear such generalizations...You usually get the attitude from a town/city/state what you bring. No place is all one way negative or positive".

I realize Jackson has alot of negatives, but it has alot of positives too! I was born and raised there and like you Michelle, I couldn't wait to leave...I did leave when I was 18, two days after high school graduation! Out to California in a VW bus!!
Ohh, I spent YEARS hating my hometown! But, being much older now...I can see it for what it was, and for what it is. A struggling city, like so many other American cities. I have pride in Jackson now...I see things differently and can appreciate the history.
People who like Jackson the most likely are the ones who have moved here from another place...and it's a very good thing that they bring their positive attitudes with them. Jackson has ALOT going for it, you just have to look at it with new eyes. Good luck with school, I hope you can leave soon and find happiness.

Old 02-11-2009, 11:23 AM

8,018 posts, read 8,030,959 times
There is such a difference between the rust belt cities and towns in South Michigan , and the northern Michigan places. Up north , things don't change much , good times or bad. The economy always is on the edge , mostly due to a smaller population. Being off the beaten path is also a problem.
However , if you want a clean , stable , modest , safe , lifestyle , take a look at our northern tier.
Wages are low , but so is living costs , except utilities. Exceptions of coarse are the high priced resort towns , but , even there you can do quite well , just don't live there. I know a lot of this stereotype IS changing , with the downturn , but , not as much as south MI.
Look for More businesses to start up in North Michigan , as the Green approach money takes hold.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:00 PM

147 posts, read 342,992 times
Most of our family live up-north. They love it. However, the family members that live in Pellston are still frozen solid. We go up there every April and defrost them next to a roaring bonfire!

Old 02-11-2009, 03:43 PM

5,992 posts, read 6,945,530 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WheredoIlive? View Post
Yeah that was one weird thing I noticed, Coldwater was a lot less friendly, do not know what that is about....

LOL

I loved this about Hillsdale, well before it died, that it was like walking into the 1940s. If you are young and into action, Hillsdale isnt place for you.
One used to see buggies pulling up downtown Hillsdale. LOL

Paw Paw seems kind of oppressed and repressed. The river is nice, and some scenery there. Ive been many times before. Have an ex-sister in law from there. It is kind of a scary place if I judge it by a few people I have known from there. I love small towns, loved life in Hillsdale before it died. But Paw Paw is not even on my list of places to go even if its an ok place to visit.

Hey Kzoo I am looking into Three Rivers, found a nice senior disabled place I am on list for. I dont want to live in tourist place, I thought about South Haven, but then tourist towns kind of like St. JOe seem to lack a certain community cohesion, too many outsiders and the whole town, is towards them. That is what is weird about St. Joe, coffeeshops where you really cant get to know anyone because its just a long line of outsiders.

Van Buren county is more rural. I know I cant drive 30 miles to get a liscense.

Hey in Three Rivers do they have a social security office and DMV down there?
There's no Secretary of State here, don't know about social security (I'm still YEARS away from that).The nearest Secretary of State that I know of is in Kalamazoo, on West Main.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:31 PM

5 posts, read 14,239 times
I am looking to move to Michigan for a change of scenery. My job allows me to live pretty much anywhere. I just need to live within driving distance of an airport...does not have to be a major one. I love forests, lakes, rivers, and scenery, am a single guy, and want to live somewhere along the western coast of michigan....any ideas?

Old 04-12-2009, 08:51 PM

8,018 posts, read 8,030,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by potzy81 View Post
I am looking to move to Michigan for a change of scenery. My job allows me to live pretty much anywhere. I just need to live within driving distance of an airport...does not have to be a major one. I love forests, lakes, rivers, and scenery, am a single guy, and want to live somewhere along the western coast of michigan....any ideas?
Give Marquette a try , 20 miles to Sawyer International Airport. One look see , and you will forget lower Michigan........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Options
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2011 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan