Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2018, 08:54 PM

30,702 posts, read 79,413,686 times

Advertisements

If money were no object what are your 5 favorite restaurants in Detroit and what would you order there?

Selden Standard - Ravioli Things and lamb sausage things.

Roast - Beast of the day.

Slows - brisket

Wright & Company - whatever the server recommends.

Chop House. Aged Rib Eye

( Cafe Roma would have been on the list )
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-22-2018, 01:26 PM

3,006 posts, read 1,475,350 times
I prefer buffet restaurants, where I get all the food I want immediately instead of waiting for service. China 8 in Roseville was my favorite until it closed a few years ago. Now there is Teppanyaki in Clinton Township. When I want a smaller meal and price, I like hospital and college cafeterias. Macomb Community College Center Campus usually has egg salad croissant sandwiches, in the cafeteria or a food stand in the library.

Old 08-23-2018, 12:55 PM

2,221 posts, read 2,222,806 times
Virtually all my Detroit dining in recent years has been confined to the few places around Comerica Park.
I don't eat out much, not in the budget, and when I do it's usually pubs with a good pub menu rather than upscale or "fine dining".

As to the post immediately above I'm not sure how to interpret it. I've taken people literally before and been taken literally when that wasn't the intent.

Old 08-23-2018, 10:44 PM

Years ago Craigslist Rants & Raves had some posts about the best local pizza. The 3 restaurants I remember are The Green Lantern in Royal Oak, Loui's on Dequindre, and Firenze in Warren. I tried all 3 and went back to Loui's twice.

I drove past Loui's today but I didn't have time to stop there.

Old 08-23-2018, 11:38 PM

1,786 posts, read 2,644,808 times
1. Loui's Pizza - Hazel Park - Without question the best pizza I've ever had, and a mean antipasta too. If you've not tried Loui's yet, what is wrong with you?!?!
2. Jolly Pumpkin - Detroit - Also a fantastic pizza with a great selection of craft beer and a fun atmosphere. The location is convenient to get to while exploring the excitement of Midtown.
3. Mercury Bar and Grill - Detroit - All the best of Corktown with a great burger at the right price.
4. Vinsetta Garage - Berkley - An atmosphere of old school garage mixed with hip, trendy dishes and a great craft beer selection, right on Woodward.
5. Phulkari Punjabi Kitchen - Madison Heights - The best Indian food I've ever had and a great menu selection that lets you try multiple items for a reasonable price.

Old 08-24-2018, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geo-Aggie View Post
1. Loui's Pizza - Hazel Park - Without question the best pizza I've ever had, and a mean antipasta too. If you've not tried Loui's yet, what is wrong with you?!?!
[B
I have no idea where Hazel Park is, thus I have never seen or heard of Loui's pizza. That is what is wrong with me. I am not likely to make a special trip just for Pizza, so I may not ever get to try it unless they expand

Old 08-24-2018, 08:34 AM

I know a few locations for pancakes: Granma's House of Pancakes on 9 Mile in Eastpointe, the House of Pancakes on Hayes in Clinton Township, and The Pantry off Hall Road in Clinton Township and on Van Dyke in Sterling Heights. I stopped going to IHOP years ago when they raised prices and reduced the menu.

Old 08-24-2018, 11:14 AM

1,996 posts, read 3,133,848 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I have no idea where Hazel Park is, thus I have never seen or heard of Loui's pizza. That is what is wrong with me. I am not likely to make a special trip just for Pizza, so I may not ever get to try it unless they expand
Hazel Park had the horse racetrack that closed earlier this year. It is hard to believe that you have made all of those trips up north yet have not passed through Hazel Park, which is at the 8 Mile and 9 Mile Road exits of the I-75 freeway. Plus, for years, it had the only Hardee's in the metro area!! Loui's and Eastpointe's Cloverleaf are widely considered the best deep dish "Detroit-style" pizza in the metro area.

My favorite 5 restaurants are:

Lupita's - Mexican restaurant in Mexicantown's Bagley Avenue strip

Mariscos El Salpicon - Mexican seafood restaurant on Vernor Highway (turns into a 18+ Mexican dance club on weekend nights)

Pollos los Gallos - bbq chicken, Mexican-style on Dix in Southwest Detroit

Nikola's BBQ - fantastic bbq serving big portions in Southfield at Ten Mile and Telegraph

Shield's Pizza - small local chain serving delicious deep dish pizza

Old 08-24-2018, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nattering Heights View Post
I know a few locations for pancakes: Granma's House of Pancakes on 9 Mile in Eastpointe, the House of Pancakes on Hayes in Clinton Township, and The Pantry off Hall Road in Clinton Township and on Van Dyke in Sterling Heights. I stopped going to IHOP years ago when they raised prices and reduced the menu.
I really love good pancakes. They are hard to find. For me, they must be fluffy and porous so they absorb butter and a tough of maple syrup. Hard, flat, dense, heavy - no thank you.

Old 08-24-2018, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post
I really love good pancakes. They are hard to find. For me, they must be fluffy and porous so they absorb butter and a tough of maple syrup. Hard, flat, dense, heavy - no thank you.
I prefer crepes, so I don't know where to go for fluffy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan