Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2018, 11:11 AM

3,671 posts, read 5,883,465 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KerrTown View Post
Fresh water? So what was the poisoned water scandal in Flint all about? I would think twice about moving my family/locating my business in Michigan after that. If my family/company was in Michigan, I would be planning my move to Chicago or beyond!

My point was that Trump claimed that the numbers were fake during the campaign, which appealed to the upper Midwestern states (which supposedly decided the Presidential election), and then taking credit with the data during the first months of his administration with no change in the economic drivers.

The only difference was that the effects of the recovery were starting to be felt on Main Street in the Rust Belt--Don the Con's trick to steal credit for The Recovery from Obama.

Also take into account the continued existence of the Chicago vacuum which sucks all economic development of the Midwest into Chicagoland. There are plenty of ex-pats from Michigan, Wisconsin, Downstate Illinois, etc. who have settled there permanently or as a transit point to the South or California
Lol what? Do you even live in the Midwest? You sound like you have no clue what your talking about. For one, Chicago isn't sucking all the economic development away from anyone. Especially Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, ect. Detroit's economy is too big to be effected by some city 4 hours away. That's like saying NYC is sucking all the economic development away from the east coast. That is ridiculous. Also, there are plenty of ex-pats from Chicago that live in Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Downstate Illinois, ect as well so I don't see your point there. And most people (at least from Michigan) aren't going to move to Chicago as a transit point to the South or Cali. This isn't the 1800's. There are direct flights, freeways, trains, ect from Detroit to all over the world.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-25-2018, 03:39 PM

30,708 posts, read 79,764,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MS313 View Post
Lol what? Do you even live in the Midwest? You sound like you have no clue what your talking about. For one, Chicago isn't sucking all the economic development away from anyone. Especially Michigan, Minnesota, Ohio, ect. Detroit's economy is too big to be effected by some city 4 hours away. That's like saying NYC is sucking all the economic development away from the east coast. That is ridiculous. Also, there are plenty of ex-pats from Chicago that live in Michigan, Indiana, Wisconsin, Downstate Illinois, ect as well so I don't see your point there. And most people (at least from Michigan) aren't going to move to Chicago as a transit point to the South or Cali. This isn't the 1800's. There are direct flights, freeways, trains, ect from Detroit to all over the world.
If you are going to California or other Southwestern states, Chicago is a hazard that you bypass on the way, not a stopping over point. As for Cali, I think it would be the same, but I would think most people would choose to fly if they are gong all the way to Chili.

If you listen to the people from Michigan's southwest coast, we have the opposite problem. They claim the area is being ruined by too many people from Chicago moving there.

Chicago does draw a considerable number of our college graduates, at least until they acquire wisdom and move back. This does not really draw economic development away from Detroit but it does add to the shortage of employees.

Lately a considerable number of younger people from other places have been moving into Detroit looking for opportunity which they see none of in the established "hot" places (Chicago, New York, LA, Miami, Houston, etc). Unfortunately a large percentage of those folks are "hipsters" who do add some economic activity, but are simply embarrassing to have concentrated in our city.

I was amazed this past week when we stopped for gas near Chicago. We had previously filled up in Texas or Oklahoma, or Missouri for $1.95 per gallon. The station near Chicago was $3.87! We had enough gas to get to Michigan ($2.14) so we just passed on paying the Chicago taxes. However that is a huge difference. Is that normal?

Old 11-26-2018, 01:19 PM

159 posts, read 170,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Coldjensens View Post

I was amazed this past week when we stopped for gas near Chicago. We had previously filled up in Texas or Oklahoma, or Missouri for $1.95 per gallon. The station near Chicago was $3.87! We had enough gas to get to Michigan ($2.14) so we just passed on paying the Chicago taxes. However that is a huge difference. Is that normal?
Yes it is. I stop to gassup at Gary, IN on my way to Chicago.

https://www.gasbuddy.com/GasPrices/Indiana/Gary

Old 11-27-2018, 01:30 PM

28,353 posts, read 16,368,692 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by magellan View Post
Nooo! Should I? I generally don't like cherry flavor...

A Michigander that doesn't like cherries????

Old 11-28-2018, 06:32 AM

8,882 posts, read 19,845,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hooligan View Post
A Michigander that doesn't like cherries????

Haha!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan