U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2018, 01:54 PM

367 posts, read 383,466 times

Advertisements

Curious, how is the situation with freight trains in Marquette, Munsing, Escanaba, Iron River:

- any train horn noise, especially at night?

- is there a lot of train traffic in general?

- any oil trains passing?

From MI rail map:
https://www.michigan.gov/documents/m...e_553910_7.pdf

I see a network of railroads on the UP, some owned by Canadian National (in red). Not sure what's with black lines. I'm trying to understand if there's any hassle from trains around biggest UP towns. I've been some places where train issues were major and wouldn't live there, even though otherwise I really liked them.
Rate this post positively Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2018, 05:47 PM
Status: "Let's Get Biden To Quit Immediately, America. Amen." (set 19 days ago)

18,623 posts, read 16,651,762 times
Rail lines are shown on Google maps. As long as you are a couple miles away you won’t hear them. I live a mile away from a pretty busy line and can only hear them at night, but not if the windows are closed. Rarely they will wake me up on a summer night with the windows open.

Old 12-03-2018, 09:10 AM

2,202 posts, read 1,944,293 times
Here on the SE side of Ann Arbor I am about 1.75 miles from the east/west Amtrak line and a north/south Ann Arbor railroad line that runs freight, mostly late at night. I can certainly hear both of them in the summer but they don't bother me at all.

I remember visiting my ex wife's grandmother once in Morehouse Missouri. She had a railroad track right across the end of her back yard and trains would rattle the windows, dishes and you could feel it in the floors when it rolled through. She didn't even pay attention after decades of getting used to it.

Coincedently there is a group of Ann Arbor residents who have recently begun complaining about the freight trains blowing their horns late at night in the downtown area.. It appears as though these complaints may originate from some of the high end condo's built downtown near the tracks in the last few years. Some of them are clamoring for a "quiet zone" through town. That would require every at grade crossing to have drop down gates and right now none of them on that line do. The cost could run in to the millions and there is no funding source but the city last I knew.

Old 12-03-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Retroit View Post
Rail lines are shown on Google maps. As long as you are a couple miles away you won’t hear them. I live a mile away from a pretty busy line and can only hear them at night, but not if the windows are closed. Rarely they will wake me up on a summer night with the windows open.
I see, thanks, will keep this in mind. It took me a few months to recover my good night sleep after spending a month on a property about a mile downwind from busy freight railroad, with particularly loud horns too (not all horns are created equal) -- neither I want to be exposed to any pollution. In general, like to keep windows open at night and camp behind the house in summer. Anyway I want to be out in the boonies, if I do end up in the UP: will watch out to be away from the rail lines, since they seem to be heavily used/night use. I used to have a house very close to a line, but it was hardly used, by small trains with quiet horns and no night honking ever...very different experience from big 24-hour freight usage.

Old 12-03-2018, 01:51 PM

2,202 posts, read 1,944,293 times
The Federal Railroad administration has rules for train horns....how loud and when they are blown.

Last edited by craig11152; 12-03-2018 at 02:29 PM..

Old 12-03-2018, 05:31 PM

1,363 posts, read 1,085,183 times
They are required to blow the horns four times at every crossing

Old 12-03-2018, 06:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig11152 View Post
The Federal Railroad administration has rules for train horns....how loud and when they are blown.
And some engineers give extra-long honks just to stick it to local residents, in my experience. Horns on big lines got a lot louder, over time. I grew up near a big railroad, as kids we used to have a game crossing right in front of a moving train, at crossings and away from them, also laying down under the passing trains, away from crossings. Everyone is still alive. You can't put enough horns everywhere, to prevent every fool or drunk from being where they shouldn't be. (the only time really loud honking is justified is when a stopped train is starting to move, at the station, or, at curves where one can't see uncoming train, in my opinion)

Sounds like UP got pretty active freight lines, I'll make sure to keep distance.

Last edited by Usrname; 12-03-2018 at 07:03 PM..

Old 12-04-2018, 07:31 AM

They really should change the rule that says a train’s horn must sound when crossing a road that has gates blocking the traffic. There’s no need for —————— —————— —— ————————————! One short blast, at most, is all they need.

Old 12-04-2018, 02:12 PM

1,363 posts, read 1,085,183 times
Seen twits drive around the gates and whacked.

Old 12-04-2018, 03:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OneDawg View Post
Seen twits drive around the gates and whacked.
And they probably had their radio blaring so loud they couldn’t hear the horn no matter how loud.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Michigan